pbkid6974

svt 40 - what to look for?

so a guy i work with wants to sell his svt 40 to me with a spam can for $1000. is this a decent deal? i dont really know that much about old russian rifles. what should i look for when i go look at it? ive checked GB and they are going for a wide range between $850-2000. any info would be greatly appreciated.

$1k is about what they go for. If you can afford it, I'd buy it. They are getting harder to find now a days, and just like every other old gun the value is only going to go up.

As far as what to look for, IDK any specific stuff for this rifle, but check for numbers matching, bore condition, overall appearance, function check, etc.

No real different then checking another other surplus gun.

Import vs non import(very pricy)

matching numbers vs force matched

bore/crown condition

Metal and stock condition should all dictate price.

Force matched imports typically get to the $900.00 easily so he is in the ball park depending on condition.

well im hoping to finally get a guest pass for efga and plan to bring him up there to shoot. i will definitely be shooting it before i buy. he first offered to sell it to me about 6 months ago for $500. i promptly told him yes but then he went and actually looked up what they were going for and he decided not to sell it right away. he decided that he doesnt shoot it and i would take care of it and gve it the workout it needs once in a while.

thanks for the input guys. its just a decent amount coin to drop on a rifle i know next to nothing about. ive done some reading on them but i value the opinion from some of the milsurp gurus here.

I would make sure you try it before you buy it. I have had nothing but headaches with my mismatched bringback. A refurb should work ok as long as the main componets are still forced matched to each other. The gas system is usually messed up from corrosion and might need replacement; You also need to set the gas system to the ammo you are using and make sure the lines are line up perfectly. You will need the combo tool to do this.

Check the barrel and the gas system real good. thats the main thing. The first 20 rounds through mine were flawless at a 1.5 gas setting, then on the next shot or two the spring curled and got all f'ed up. I was able to get a replacement springs from buymilsurp.com and they have a nice selection of parts if you end up needing anything. Its an awesome gun and id say go for it if its in good shape, even if its mis matched or electro-pen forced matched.

just like any milsurp do some reading up.  Test firing is a great thing ,, as far as worth the price , theres 3  arsenals that built them, some are rarer than others and the Finns got a hold of some and they did mix up the parts .

For me a plum color bolt is a turn off .

Make sure the mag isn't a repro .The mags alone run over 100 bucks and if SA marked higher . Also does it have the scope mount grooves cut in the receiver.

I have a SA marked Kovrov . non matching numbers (common with the Finns) and will never part with it .

post pictures when you get it