Sign in to follow this  
anactivegrenade

Local fruit farmers

So I take it that we can talk about whatever the eff we want in the Bucket.

Does anyone here buy their produce locally?

I'm a health buff, and I've been looking for fruits with insane amounts of vitamin c. I'm avoiding regular ol' supplementation because our bodies excrete most of it out, and I'm avoiding eating crap tons of regular fruit because of the large amount of sugar that would come with it.

Anyway, I'm curious if there are any local sources that might fill my needs. In particular, I believe acerola cherries, sea-buckthorn, rose hips, and black currants can grow in our climate. My guess is that someone in or near NJ might be growing one of these fruits.

Any thoughts, guys?

I don't grow anything that you specifically mentioned by I do grow lots of fruit. Blueberry, strawberry, several kinds of raspberry and blackberry, boysenberry, marionberry, loganberry, tayberry, chokeberry, peaches, cherries..... All of them grow very well here in NJ. Sugar content in berries tends to be lower than many other fruits. They also have many other things in them that are very healthy for you.

Yes, there is a farm by me. We buy all their seasonal fruits and veggies and their honey. Alstede Farms. Awesome ownership and great staff. Homemade ice cream and packaged goods. We are still waiting for an organic beef farm to sell to the public. Not legal here in NJ.

The owner is always there and is listening to all suggestions. I asked that he try to make ice cream out of lactaid so I can have some. He actually took note and said he would give it a go. Unfortunately. He said it didn't work out.

Hmm, Alstede farms isn't too far from me... I'll check them out.

And Johnny, you're right. Berries tend to have a little more bang for your buck, sugar-wise. Do you just have a bunch of trees and bushes in your backyard that blossom with berries?

Just a backyard setup. I bought some plants/trees from Nurseries in Washington State and up by The Finger Lakes in NY. Got my blueberry plants from DiMeo Farm down in Hammonton (Blueberry capital of the world). I have quite a number of different kinds, some send out suckers and spread like crazy and others I will plant the top of a shoot so it will root and spread them that way. I get more and more berries every year. Different kinds ripen at different times so I chose ones that allow me to pick from Spring-Fall. I usually begin to pick them by Memorial Day and continue all the way through to the first frost. Some even resist that a bit. Some types bear fruit twice a year. If you really like fruit and eat a good amount you should consider growing your own. Especially if you are interested in fruit that is not too commonly found in stores. I have seen some of the berries I grow in specialty stores going for as much as $20/pound.

Went to Alstede farms for many years, even when I lived in Hudson county. Stopped going a few years ago. A few things changed and I didn't like those changes. I go to Wightman's farm in morristown, now.

I will have to check it out! Are they similar in what they provide? We are also looking for meat and eggs.

Went to Alstede farms for many years, even when I lived in Hudson county. Stopped going a few years ago. A few things changed and I didn't like those changes. I go to Wightman's farm in morristown, now.

I will have to check it out! Are they similar in what they provide? We are also looking for meat and eggs.

Simply grazin' has local grass fed meat.