FishNHard

A political question about gun stores ???

I have 2 friends that only hunts muzzleloader and shot gun  so when they buy ammo its some buck shoot or small game loads in and out of the store , Since neither one shoots handguns or owns rifles they are not up on the current proposals trying to get passed , so when I brought the subject up they were like WHAT????? . So im thinking how many gun owners or hunters are like this that don't know what's going on. So brings me to my question , I've bought a few firearms from several different gun stores and not once have ive been asked (ARE YOU AWARE OF THE LAWS THAT ARE TRYING TO BE PASSED ) IF theres say 1million gun owners in NJ and say 200 gun shops wouldn't it be smart to either have a sign or just mention about current events happening with 2A rights  , If 500 thousand people didn't know before but know now that's a lot of voting power , But the question I have, is the reason shops don't do it is it a legal problem that there not allowed to do that , I just don't know the answer maybe someone can give an answer,John

I have 2 friends that only hunts muzzleloader and shot gun  so when they buy ammo its some buck shoot or small game loads in and out of the store , Since neither one shoots handguns or owns rifles they are not up on the current proposals trying to get passed , so when I brought the subject up they were like WHAT????? . So im thinking how many gun owners or hunters are like this that don't know what's going on. So brings me to my question , I've bought a few firearms from several different gun stores and not once have ive been asked (ARE YOU AWARE OF THE LAWS THAT ARE TRYING TO BE PASSED ) IF theres say 1million gun owners in NJ and say 200 gun shops wouldn't it be smart to either have a sign or just mention about current events happening with 2A rights  , If 500 thousand people didn't know before but know now that's a lot of voting power , But the question I have, is the reason shops don't do it is it a legal problem that there not allowed to do that , I just don't know the answer maybe someone can give an answer,John

Most gun shops I walk into, I usually see a sign for NJ2AS or the employees usually bring it up.  What stores are these?  I would say they are the exception and not the rule.

Its the same reason shops in jersey dont give you your guns after three days that NICS has answered like the law says they could, there scared.

What do you mean?  3 days after Nics is submitted?  as in faxed over?  That does not count.  the ATF rule you are talking about is if your nics comes back as Pending.... they have 3 days to get you an approved or deny.  After 3 days, FFL can just hand it over to you.

The current situation is different.... as the FFL's are not getting the "pending".

Faxed over or called in doesnt matter once we sign our name the clock starts ... If they receive no answer after three days that is pending and by law can hand over your gun...

Faxed over or called in doesnt matter once we sign our name the clock starts ... If they receive no answer after three days that is pending and by law can hand over your gun...

There have been PLENTY of discussions about this... as much as you and everyone would like to think so.... the State Police disagrees.  One vendor on the forum has been to the state police to ask this, where they got the answer.  Same thing for ANJRPC/NJ2AS who did inquire into this.

They are working on it, they did hire new people to handle the backlog. 

However... as FFL's here have mentioned... the 3 day clock starts after Nics gives you the Pending status instead of Allow or Reject.

Lol i called the state police a few days ago to ask why NICS was taking so long they said "because of the shooting in sandy hook and terrorist in boston they have to check everyone out" lol i swear on my life... You cant make sh*t like this up... And i called FBI NICS today they told me what i in turn told you... As far as we are concerned when i sign my name NICS was submitted three days later i can have my firearms released to me...

Lol i called the state police a few days ago to ask why NICS was taking so long they said "because of the shooting in sandy hook and terrorist in boston they have to check everyone out" lol i swear on my life... You cant make sh*t like this up... And i called FBI NICS today they told me what i in turn told you... As far as we are concerned when i sign my name NICS was submitted three days later i can have my firearms released to me...

Ok, and that is because ATF nics national did not get all the info.

When you typically go to buy a gun, or in any other state, the dealer calls in or faxes in.  If calls, they will get on the other call, either a Proceed or Deny... They may also get a Pending... while they research it more.  That is the instant part.

If they come back as "pending",  they have to get back in 3 days, if they don't, the FFL at their discretion may sell you the gun.

When an FFL in NJ sends up a nics.... it is processed by NJ.... they are not even yet getting a Proceed, Deny or Pending.... in fact, it is not pending for more research, it is not even processed... it gets put in the back of the pile, and NJSP will not even know you sent up a nics until they get to it, 2 weeks later, or whenever they get to it.

yes, we may debate at what point the nics is considered sent over... or when it is processed, however it is the FFL who is going to be prosecuted, not the consumer who is buying the gun.  We may agree with it or not, but... that is the info from AG and State Police. 

It really does come down to the fact that unless YOU are willing to open a shop..jump through the hoops...and place your livelihood and money on the line...to buck the system as the test case....you should then zip your fly up in lieu of doing the proverbial c--k check.....

Dontcha think?

:facepalm:

Sorry but I'm amazed at what people think OTHER business owners should do.....

Nick, in this case, I just think it is a case of Kev not understanding how the system works, like I did not until I started looking into it.  

Ok, and that is because ATF nics national did not get all the info.

When you typically go to buy a gun, or in any other state, the dealer calls in or faxes in.  If calls, they will get on the other call, either a Proceed or Deny... They may also get a Pending... while they research it more.  That is the instant part.

If they come back as "pending",  they have to get back in 3 days, if they don't, the FFL at their discretion may sell you the gun.

When an FFL in NJ sends up a nics.... it is processed by NJ.... they are not even yet getting a Proceed, Deny or Pending.... in fact, it is not pending for more research, it is not even processed... it gets put in the back of the pile, and NJSP will not even know you sent up a nics until they get to it, 2 weeks later, or whenever they get to it.

yes, we may debate at what point the nics is considered sent over... or when it is processed, however it is the FFL who is going to be prosecuted, not the consumer who is buying the gun.  We may agree with it or not, but... that is the info from AG and State Police. 

Thank you for explaining this in this way.  Makes perfect sense now.

Thank you for explaining this in this way.  Makes perfect sense now.

You're welcome Brian.

What people, mostly new gun owners don't get, is in the past, the FFL would call in Nics, be charged the $15 and get the answer there.  When the phones were down, they would have you Fax in the info.  

The phone lines have been down for months, and as such, all NICS requests are now Fax Only.  This is why there is there is no 3 day "pending", as no one even processed it. 

Agreed..apologies...not meant to be pissy..but a long day...and a longer five months so far.....those that think itnisneasy...well give it a shot.....it isn't peaches and cream....

Sorry Kevin!

Im a business owner i have a restaurant in in newark in the ironbound... And between crooked cops even more crooked politicians and the worst mayor in jersey, i have my own hoops to jump through... But if jersey was tryin to make a law to ban beef i would be all over that

Basically a law suit needs to be filed to correct the problem, then theirs the money to file the law suit.. catch 22.. The NRA should be on top of this but we are the forgotten..

I whole-heartedly agree with you.  Unfortunately this is an election year in NJ.  I believe if the NRA comes thumbing their noses in NJ's gun laws, well that doesn't bode well for Christie.  I am an NRA member and I don't have any qualms with them.  I think they are going to bide their time until after the election.  I don't think Christie is pro-gun, but we all know Buono is anti-gun.  I know it sucks.  I waited 5 1/2 months for my P2P and will have to wait until probably the June to get my gun.  I'd rather suffer now, then REALLY suffer then.  We all need to get across to all gun owners and family and friends of ours to vote for pro-gun candidates or rather, against anti-gun candidates.

Sorry but you are 100% Wrong.  NJ is what is called a "Point of Contact" state.  the FFL does NOT do the Nics Check.  They submit the information to NJSP, who then Institute the NICS E-check.  the FFL has ZERO contact with  the FBI NICS System.  

Sorry but you are 100% Wrong.  NJ is what is called a "Point of Contact" state.  the FFL does NOT do the Nics Check.  They submit the information to NJSP, who then Institute the NICS E-check.  the FFL has ZERO contact with  the FBI NICS System.

Im well aware that nj is a POC state i think your misunderstanding my post...

I think within a month, this will be a non issue, speaking with vendors and FFL's, the nics time is now coming down, down to 13 days now.  They did hire new people, and yes, they will be going to an e-check system soon.