checko

questions on 1911 sights

I've decided I want to change my sights on my 1911. Here is what I have now, bought used:

IMG_20130527_241336_766_zpsb2f5ea3d.jpg

I would like to get some Novak style night sights but I know there is all kinds of cuts. So what do I have and where can I go from here ?

I don't know what kind of cut that is, and i am not a 1911 guru or anything, but that setup does not look right. :blink:

Good call on getting them changed, looks like a problem waiting to happen if that's a carry gun.

Lol what doesnt look right? I wanted yo change them cause theyll snag on clothes and dig in the skin a little.

I believe the place below is the guy that Jim Flynn recommends for gunsmithing.

Carell's .45 Shop

(610) 588-0199

1115 Sunset Dr, Bangor, PA 18013

That is a target sight. is that stock to the pistol? I don't think I ever saw a 1911 with a target sight that wasn't cut out in the rear to allow it to sit lower on the slide.

I know the guy Jim Flynn recommends is in Bangor ,Pa, but I'm not positive this is the guy. I put his number somewhere but can't remember where! Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!!!

I believe the place below is the guy that Jim Flynn recommends for gunsmithing.

Carell's .45 Shop

(610) 588-0199

1115 Sunset Dr, Bangor, PA 18013

That is a target sight. is that stock to the pistol? I don't think I ever saw a 1911 with a target sight that wasn't cut out in the rear to allow it to sit lower on the slide.

I know the guy Jim Flynn recommends is in Bangor ,Pa, but I'm not positive this is the guy. I put his number somewhere but can't remember where! Out of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!!!

Thanks for the help.  I honestly dont know if this is stock (though I highly doubt it) since I bought this pistol used.  

That's a national match rear sight cut. You need the slide machined to fit novaks. If you don't want to incur that expense then I recommend this sight...

http://www.10-8performance.com/products/1911-NM-Re

ar-Sight.html

Hmmm Are there any companies that will make night sights for that cut?  I checked out novacs sight and the price doesnt seem terrible.

Do most people change out the front sight as well?  I guess the front sight is the most important one to pick up during target aquisition...

I'm not an expert, but It looks like that's a Colt, and it looks like it's a standard Colt cut. In most cases if a 1911 is made for target sights there is a flat spot cut on the rear of the slide so the sights can sit lower on the slide and near flush to the back of the slide. This is what makes me think that they are aftermarket sights. If you plan to add night sights the front is the main sight to have as a night sight but most people change both front and rear. If you are planning to change the rear anyway you might as well make them a set. One thing to realize is that night sights only last about 10 or so years before they dim out, so make sure they have a white dot surrounding them so they can still be used once they expire. Check out this Kimber Gold Match II for a picture of the target sights.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/gold-match-ii/stainless-gold-match-ii

I'm not an expert, but It looks like that's a Colt, and it looks like it's a standard Colt cut. In most cases if a 1911 is made for target sights there is a flat spot cut on the rear of the slide so the sights can sit lower on the slide and near flush to the back of the slide. This is what makes me think that they are aftermarket sights. If you plan to add night sights the front is the main sight to have as a night sight but most people change both front and rear. If you are planning to change the rear anyway you might as well make them a set. One thing to realize is that night sights only last about 10 or so years before they dim out, so make sure they have a white dot surrounding them so they can still be used once they expire. Check out this Kimber Gold Match II for a picture of the target sights.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/gold-match-ii/stainless-gold-match-ii

Yeah I know what your saying. They are lpa sights who I've seen as aftermarket. I'm try to keep costs down so I'm gonna sleep on doing both sets.

I find it particulerly unusual the way it is hung over the rear like that. I hesitate to say its wrong because every time I see something I think no way it came like that, I find out it was some small run I havent seen before.

I'm 95% sure its this sight

http://www.lpasights.com/en/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=29

Says its just supposed to fit into the existing dovetail without milling.   Seems to fit the bill. 

The dovetail on the LPA is wider than that on a Novak so the slide

needs to be welded and re-cut (expensive)

I had the same issues on my Springfield V12 Loaded which has the 

LPA on it - I wanted to install a laser Lite and it's just too costly.

Possibly cheaper to replace the slide than to all the welding & re-machining

but that would be your call......................

Good Luck!

The dovetail on the LPA is wider than that on a Novak so the slide

needs to be welded and re-cut (expensive)

I had the same issues on my Springfield V12 Loaded which has the 

LPA on it - I wanted to install a laser Lite and it's just too costly.

Possibly cheaper to replace the slide than to all the welding & re-machining

but that would be your call......................

Good Luck!

The one I linked to earlier in this thread said it fit in the existing 1911 dovetail.  Is that what youre talking about?