Maksim

What guns have their own calibers?

Here's a little brain teaser:

This question only applies to factory produced firearms and commercially produced ammunition. That being said - there was one firearm model that was only chambered in this one caliber. It was the only gun, from all manufacturers, that was ever chambered for this caliber.

Name the gun and/or the caliber (if you get the one you will know the other).

Have fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

This really wasn't a thread hijack was it? - Seems applicable to the title.

.44 Auto-Mag

.44 Auto-Mag

KD - we're done with that one - it was the model 71 Winchester in .348 Winchester.

Now we are working on this one...

OK, a couple people mentioned the S&W Model 53 in .22 Jet. There were rifles also chambered in that caliber - so it was a no go. But it brought to mind a similar cartridge, also developed by Remington and a gun manufacturer and, like the Jet, had only one or two other arms chambered for it. If you want to continue the game, this cartridge had "magnum" in its designation. Who can tell me the caliber, the arm for which it was designed and what was unique about that arm?

This one is from a major modern arms manufacturer. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

6.5mm rem mag?

Great round when it wasn't hampered by the carbine length barrel. A cartridge ahead of its time. Ruger bolt-actions were also offered in this round as well as Rem. M700's.

Great round when it wasn't hampered by the carbine length barrel. A cartridge ahead of its time. Ruger bolt-actions were also offered in this round as well as Rem. M700's.

i cant really find any other failed calibers that were only around for a few years that had less than 5 guns chambered for it.

Here's a hint: The manufacturer of the gun I am thinking of, has recently (within the last 5 years) revived the name and used it on a totally different type of firearm.

Wifey got me a Sig 229 in 357 Sig in NH and it got me thinking.... what other guns are there that had calibers designed for them?

Glock 37/38/39 in 45 Glock, aka 45 GAP

Sig 226/229 in 357 Sig

Desert Eagle in 50 Action Express

Smith Wesson 500 in 500 S&W

What others? I think it is stupid, but might start picking them up.

What gun was 41 Action Express designed for?  Wasn't it first in the Browning High Power or the Baby Desert Eagle?

Thats not really dumb. Every caliber that you can think of started one of two ways, either it was originally made for some new firearm, or a company decided to take an exsisting firearm and create a new cartridge for it. either way at one point for most cartridges there was only one firearm that shot it.

Correct. What was unique about the Hawkeye?

Single-shot, with a breech block that rotated out for loading. I almost bought one way back in the late 70's. They had a pristine used one at PR&G in the old Hawthorne store.

Single-shot, with a breech block that rotated out for loading. I almost bought one way back in the late 70's. They had a pristine used one at PR&G in the old Hawthorne store.

If I had a prize to give, you and DamjanBlues would get it. Thanks for sticking with it.