Sign in to follow this  
AlDente67

Finally got the Sandy damage repaired

So I think I mentioned it before...my back neighbor's trees fell down during the storm right on top of my chain-link fence (3 of them).  I found out the hard way that it was my problem unless I could prove she knew the trees were a menace (they were not in good health).   But since the trees were long gone, no way to prove anything.

She stopped by a month or so later to inform me that it was my problem, basically giving me the finger in a polite way.  I have a $500 deductible on my own insurance, so I figured I'd be eating the cost 100%.  How much could a few sections of metal top rail cost to replace?

I called my insurance to report the damage, and they were nice enough to send along their appraiser, a general contractor they use all the time.  He came out and did a thorough analysis with pictures and measurements.  Then a few days later, the insurance adjuster called and told me the number came in at $2600. I said "holy cow, what for??".  She said for replacement of 115 feet of fence (the entire back run).  And then she said his estimate includes his profit margin and he'd just farm it out to a sub.  The check for $2100 will arrive in a week and I could hire anyone I wanted.

So I did.  Called a local fence repair company and they came right out and fixed up everything really nicely for about $700 (which included some other repairs I needed done, since they were there anyway).

This is my only insurance claim in over 20 years, so I'm happy with the outcome.  But the wife is still pissed off that the neighbor never even offered to help out in any way.  Since the storm, the neighbor had a complete re-landscaping done (with new trees), plus a new underground sprinkler system installed.  A couple hundred $ would not have killed her as a goodwill gesture.

I can't really complain, as I came out ahead on the whole thing, but I'm still not in the mood to even turn my head when the neighbor is puttering in her garden (10 feet from mine).

I had a similar issue with my neighbor.   3 of his trees crashed his fence which were leaning up against my kids play set... with in a week he had his roof repaired and the fence was just sitting there for 3 weeks longer. he did not even say hey im fixing the fence etc etc. so i had the trees removed only to the property line then pushed his dam fence over to his yard. 3 days later its fixed. I assumed the ahole was waiting for me to fix his fence.