lunker

Places you like to hike in Jersey

I go up to Hartshorne Woods in Highlands several times a week to get me and my dog some exercise. Taking the main loop there is a good workout, and my dog is only normal/sane when tired. And there are great ocean and Sandy Hook/Sea bright views. Where do you go?

Six Mile Run and Hartshorne are my two favorite mountain biking areas. Both are really well maintained and pack in a lot of variety. My favorite hike is South Mountain Reservation in Milburn. Plenty of cool clear water for my dog to rest after chasing noises in the woods.

I usually hike the gap. Both nj and pa side. Most of the at from the gap to high point is fairly accessible and pretty easy going once you make the ridge. By far though the best views are in the gap. For simple trail biking I hit the D&R canal tow path. Nice and flat, shaded, nice things to look at good history and great if you just want to pound out some simple strait forward miles with out any challenging terrain.

I usually hike the gap. Both nj and pa side. Most of the at from the gap to high point is fairly accessible and pretty easy going once you make the ridge. By far though the best views are in the gap. For simple trail biking I hit the D&R canal tow path. Nice and flat, shaded, nice things to look at good history and great if you just want to pound out some simple strait forward miles with out any challenging terrain.

I used to hike and bike the tow path in New Brunswick. Same one? Is the R in D&R for Raritan. I am not in good enough shape for the really challenging stuff. Working on it though.

Indeed the same one! D&R stands for Delaware and Raritan. The canal starts in New Brunswick, runs south to Trenton and then back

North via. "Feeder" canal that ends near bulls island on the Delaware. In total the trail is 58 miles (36 on the main canal and 22 on the feeder.

Here is the link to the D&R commission website:

http://www.dandrcanal.com/

Ad the state parks website:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/drcanal.html

Due to its proximity to the 6mile run resivoir site both websites contain info on that trail system including detailed maps. I prefer the commission website over the state but they are both helpful.

1. The Upper and Lower Blue Mountain Lake's area is off the beaten path in northwestern NJ.
  2. This area not far from me in Tuxedo, NY is a great hike. The Claudius Smith Rock Loop can be strenuous for some but the views are great. Lots of rockclimbers on weekends scaling the rocks up top.  http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/Claudius-Smiths-Rock
  3. Any of the trails in Ringwood if you can tolerate the mountain bikers, dirtbikers and ATV'ers on the more open trails. The footpaths are still quiet and peaceful. Just watch for bears. Walk Pierson's Ridge and see the NY skyline from the lookout point. You can start as far away as the Ramapo Reservation and hike up or drive into Ringwood SP. http://www.nynjtc.org/hike/ringwoodramapohoeferlinpierson-ridge-trails-loop
  4. Sterling Forest, NY. Hike around the Blue Lake. Hike up in the mountains off the beaten path and you'll find vehicles like this in the darnedest of places!

utf-8BSU1HMDAxMDguanBn.jpg

+1 on Hawk Mountain - great place.

In the cold months for a flat walk I like doing a loop between Stockton and New Hope. Get a cigar in New Hope for the walk back.

Or loops between Rieglesville and Milford, Milford and Frenchtown.

Merrill Creeek, Watchung Reservation, and along the Palisades are nice.

Voorhees, Jenny Jump, Columbia Trail.

Hugh Moore Park in PA and the towpaih that runs to Allentown. Kind of fiunny when I pass EFGA in the other side of the Lehigh.

Have not been there in a long time but the Mohonk Preserve was especially nice. (Have to scan some of those pictures)

I wouldn't exactly call it a "hike" but weather and schedule permitting, I drive to the beach at lunchtime for 5k.

The boardwalks seem to be easier on my old knees than pavement.

And I enjoy the scenery, particularly during the warmer months.

Our family likes to hike in the Assunpink here in Monmouth county.  There are quite a few trails and several nice lakes, we can make a day out of it hiking, fishing and even shooting some clays.

for short distances we go right down the road to double trouble state park, we also like to take our bikes to Lebanon and Browns Mills. We can't wait to have a dog to be able to take with us :)

You ride your bike in Browns Mills or are you saying over by the ranger station by Pakim Pond? I grew up in Pemberton so it's why I am asking, I know what a craphole browns mills is.

Sourland Mountain in Hillsborough

Bald Peak Mountain off Rte 29 before Lambertville.

And we like to ride bikes along the canal off Rte 29. We park at Washingtons X'ing and ride all the way up to Lambertville and sometimes cross the bridge over to New Hope.