ChadShaft

Arrested for a Warning Shot

No offense Mak....but I know I'm not qualified to make any judgement on anyone that's seen combat. A threat in combat is completely different than a typical thug threat.

I did agree that he did break the law though...

Personally, I see this as a case for some leniency....no one was hurt, that's all that matters. I'd much rather see a warning shot and a fine than a non-fatal shot and a lawsuit by the criminal.

And the second shoe drops.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/arrest-firing-of-ar-15-follow-911-call/

At 11:21 p.m. Sunday, a caller dialed 911 from the Brentwood Village Apartments at 2281 Table Rock Road, Medford, but hung up without speaking to a dispatcher, Medford police said in a news release. Officers were sent to check the area but initially found no evidence of a problem at the apartments.

As they were leaving, they heard a gunshot and saw a man running. Police chased the man, who was identified as Jonathan Kinsella, 40, of the 1100 block of Gatepark Drive, Central Point. Kinsella was arrested on warrants charging him with a parole violation, failure to appear on charges of fourth-degree assault and harassment, and contempt of court, police said.

Knowing that there were warrants out for his arrest, Kinsella had tried to escape from officers when he saw them arrive at the apartment complex, police said.

He ran into the backyard of Cory Thompson's apartment and tried to climb over a fence but fell. The 36-year-old Thompson stepped out to investigate, his AR-15 rifle in his hand, police said.

"I don't think we can really fault him for wanting to investigate armed with a gun," Medford police Lt. Mike Budreau said.

Thompson pointed the rifle at Kinsella, and told him he was armed, police said.

Kinsella started to walk away, and Thompson fired a shot. Police do not believe Thompson intended to hit Kinsella. No one was hit by the bullet.

Ok....with that information....he was out of line.

BUT.....my statement that I'm not qualified to pass judgement on post-combat veterans stands. They lived by a completely different set of rules for a significant period of time.

Absolutely agree.  That is why I stated, if he suffers in any way, he should get help, or help should be avail for him.

If the last article is true... You go into your backyard, you see someone there your first intention is to point your gun at them?

I hope the bad guy was armed to warrant that.

If it was a regular joe, who was unarmed? heh.  

Aerial Picture of the apartment complex 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2281+Table+Rock+Road,+Medford,+oregon&ll=42.350539,-122.886862&spn=0.001528,0.002642&client=opera&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&hnear=2281+Table+Rock+Rd,+Medford,+Jackson,+Oregon+97501&gl=us&t=h&z=19

I don't see any "private" backyards in this case, ie, mini townhouses.... so in short... guys hears thud outside.  Grabs his AR runs outside into the apartment complex, sees a guy, tells him he is armed.  Guy is walking away, he fires a warning shot at him.

Watch the video.  Do you see any dirt?  Only pavement of a parking lot.

He fired at a guy who was already scared away and running away.

I can see if he has 5 acres and the guy is on his property and knows it.  He is in a freaking apartment complex.

Unbelievable, and yes of course i have to change my opinion....No shot was warranted.  But just to play devils advocate, what if he hadn't scared him off with that warning shot?  let him just walk away, and he broke into an apartment 2 buildings away and killed a woman and 2 children????  Would your opinion be changed then?  No way for us to know what was happening or could have happened if things had gone differently.  I'm just glad no one was hurt and the bad guy was apprehended.

well, this gets better... take it with a grain of salt, I did not read the police report myself but...

Looks like, according to Medford PD report, Thompson went outside unarmed and they saw each other. Thompson went back inside, got his gun, came back outside and followed the perp to the front yard and there pointed the gun at him. The perp began to walk away, and Thompson then fired a shot in the perp's direction. Apparently there was never an intent or effort to break in, rather the perp was evading police and went into Thompson's yard in doing so.