sof

Modifying the Sig 226 22lr magazine

Since I posted a thread on buying a Sig P226 Classic in 22lr, I have been looking around for a way to ensure that the slide stays back after the last round to avoid potentially damaging dry fires. You can count shots obviously, but she wont as it's not in her nature. You can load a snap cap so it is the last round of every mag, but that doesn't appeal if there could be a better solution. And, you can order some parts from Jeff at Sigpower, but not ever get them as he has developed issues that are speculated about on any number of forums.

So, I looked around quite a bit and think, or hope, I found the solutionin a thread on sigforum. I think there are others who might like this so here's borrowed and modified formula as peformed by me last night.

Buy the Blackdog Magazine Rebuild kit (Brownell's SKU# 100-004-087) that is for rebuilding AR 15-22 mags at Browenells or direct from Blackdog Machine. I's a big $7.99 for three plastic followers, mag plugs, and springs and Brownells gets it to you fast.

post-6573-0-11686600-1370097320_thumb.jpg

Take the stock mag apart by depressing the button on the bottom and sliding the end plate off. This was the hardest step as they are really tight fitting and it's hard to tap it off as the lip is so small, but it's still not a big issue with a little persistence. Be careful as the plug is spring loadedbut it's at the tail end of the piece so it's easy to avoid launching parts.

post-6573-0-37434200-1370097371_thumb.jpg

Take the new follower and grind or file its top surface to match the angle of the stock follower. Then shave the sides of the piece that the spring goes around so that it slides the length of the mag without binding or my mod which is to take a 3/8 drill bit and by hand hone out the slot where the spring will reside. This will allow you to use one of the new springs if you desire, although you will need to cut it. According to the sigforum you don't have to use a new spring if you don't want, So, I didn't.

post-6573-0-60990900-1370097372_thumb.jpg

If you want a little more mag capacity, use their mag plug or us it and shorten it a bit for even more. I shortened the stock plug and cut a new lip in it solely because I'm anal and didn't like the tiny red button showing at the bottom when done, but either way, you will be able to load 14 rounds now.

Reassemble, and you are done.

post-6573-0-14729300-1370097370_thumb.jpg

I haven't shot the gun with these mags yet but if you looke at the pictures it looks like a slam dunk. We're going to be away for a little bit so it may be two weeks before I can confirm the results. I took pictures to detail the process. I can email pics to anyone who didn't follow the above.

I ordered from Sig Power, the followers, longer springs and short mag plugs. All work very well.

Took almost 2 months to get the orders from Jeff. I wouldn't order from him again, seems a little shady.

That was actually the topic of the thread where I found this.  There were 12 pages of which about 9 were devoted to him with complaints. the general consensus was that you got very lucky to get your parts in that length of time if at all. 

I know, he was a pain in the ass to deal with. I called and email him almost everyday.

He makes good products, he needs to get his act together.

You beat me to it...I was going to do the same post......thanks for saving me the time :)     I did the same thing but bought directly from Blackdog with no spring. don't use the flat piece either.  I shortened the red plug from the kit to increase the mag to 15.

I read that the law is 15 + 1......that is true right? Just the mag can only hold 15 rounds and one in the chamber is legal? If not easy fix.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/10rd-3-pack-followers.aspx

Great info there guys. I've been wondering about ordering from Sig Power, and your solution is more economical. I just ordered some kits from Black Dog.

I'll be back with a review after I try it. I have both P220 and P226 magazines to try them on.

I purchased 9 of the followers described in post #5 direct from Black Dog for a total of $20.35 including shipping.

After inspecting the follower and the mag body, and comparing the angular differences between the two (not much), I decided to try an unmodified follower in a mag at the range.

Today I took my P226 frame with the .22 Caliber xChange slide/barrel kit on it and shot 50 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag through it with no feed or ejection issues.

This follower does not (of course) operate the slide lock lever; the magazine body prohibits that. After the last round is expended, it simply blocks the slide from returning to battery. The slide runs into the rear of the follower that protrudes up into the chamber area, and therefore can't return to battery. So after the last round, the slide is not 'locked' open; it's just butted up against the follower. Therefore you can't eject the magazine (without REALLY pulling on it) since the slide is pinching the follower. You can however then manually rack the slide back, lock it into the full open position and then eject the magazine normally.

My bottom line: OK. I'm satisfied that the slide will not return to battery after the last round. That's all I wanted. And for $20 I can modify 9 magazines. 

I realize 50 rounds does not a grueling functional test make. But that's a good enough result for me to replace the followers in another 8 magazines and give it a real torture test. I'll post up later when I have more complete results.

I did a 'drop test' for each individual follower in the one mag I modified to test for free movement. Six of the followers moved freely; three had a very slight hang-up. So I carefully reamed out the follower channel with a 3/8 drill as described previously and swabbed it clean of debris. After that, all 9 followers fell freely in and out of the magazine. So I'll be doing that with all the mags.

I'd be curious if the $22 followers from Sig Power work exactly the same way.

Thanx for all the pointers guys. You saved me about $180 to get an adequate result in nine magazines.

We've been to the range with the mags I modified and put maybe 300 rounds down range with no problems of any kind.  I changed the springs in two of the mags to the new ones but cut down by about 3 inches and two with original springs. No difference except the original springs, being shorter, allowed easier loading. By the way the 226 was not the least bit finicky about ammo, firing Cci mini-mags and regular, Federal auto match, Federal bulk pack hollow points, and Standard plus which is the oiliest, greasiest bullet ever. No FTF, FTE or any other issue. We used the mini mags first to give the springs a good push but soon found it was willing to eat anything. :dancing:

Great info, thanks. 

$10.35 for 3 followers shipped beats the hell out of $30 for 1 follower shipped...

[sigPower has nothing in stock, so I was looking for a way to modify the 22lr P226 mag... Guess where Google landed me :D ]

Recieved my followers from BlackDog today.  Modifyed them and reduced the diameter of the plug so it would fit the magwell and now no more dry fires after the last shot.   To top that off my Caliber x-change kit came yesterday. Now just need to get to the range to run it with live ammo.   Might even have to make the run up the parkway to Shooters.

So now my 226 is setup in 2 platforms  22LR and 40 S&W :gaming:

I am on the fence between the 9mm x change and the 40 cal x change.

I know a company out there makes a 40 to 9 conversion barrel? Anyone have experience with it? I just don't want to buy 2 different kits.

I rather go the route of 40 cal kit and a conversion barrel.

Anyone have input or experience with this?

If you get the 9mm kit then you have just that the 9. If you get the 40 kit you can then run 357 sig, with only A barrel change, Then you can get A 9mm barrel from Barsto that will fit the 40 slide.

Reeds Sporting Goods has the 40 kit .   County Sports also has them in stock in Carneys Point, I wound up getting mine from A shop in Maryland after calling and e-mailing all day last week.  Then the other E-Mails started coming. So they are out there if anyone is looking.

If you get the 9mm kit then you have just that the 9. If you get the 40 kit you can then run 357 sig, with only A barrel change, Then you can get A 9mm barrel from Barsto that will fit the 40 slide.

Reeds Sporting Goods has the 40 kit . County Sports also has them in stock in Carneys Point, I wound up getting mine from A shop in Maryland after calling and e-mailing all day last week. Then the other E-Mails started coming. So they are out there if anyone is looking.

+ 1

Some good ideas here for sure. My wife went with the 9 kit and is totally happy with it, but that idea with the 40 and the barrel changes is most excellent sounding. I can vouch for the 9 being flawless with the kit and would love to hear how the other comes out when/if you do it.