Sign in to follow this  
mikeyboyeee

Removing buffer tube- Ace Skeleton Stock

Ok, so I removed the stock itself, but for the life of me I can not remove the buiffer tube itself.

Is there a trick to it?  Does not look like it has the castle nut, maybe just screwed in.  it does not want to come out.

Anyone?

Yes, there is a screw that holds it in. but what you have to remember is the foam padding is probably stuck in place, which will prevent it from sliding out. My advice would be to take some soapy water and get it into the foam, until you can start turning it freely on the buffer tube. Once you then have unscrewed the buffer tube from the back of the stock, you will have to keep turning the foam while pulling the tube out... 

Yes, there is a screw that holds it in. but what you have to remember is the foam padding is probably stuck in place, which will prevent it from sliding out. My advice would be to take some soapy water and get it into the foam, until you can start turning it freely on the buffer tube. Once you then have unscrewed the buffer tube from the back of the stock, you will have to keep turning the foam while pulling the tube out... 

Thanks. already had my trouble with the foam.  That is not the issue. The stock itself is off.

I am trading for a short stock and need to remove the buffer tube for the swap to be able to use the short skeleton stock ( I am VERy BARREL CHESTED, short arms and very large shoulders- I def need the short stock and buffer tube :)

It should just be screwed in and probably with some lock tite, hence why you're having a hard time removing.. Not sure if there is anything you can use on threads but it'll eventually come off.

Thats what I am thinking.

How to remove without a vice and to not ruin the buffer tube or lower itself?

Thats what I am thinking.

How to remove without a vice and to not ruin the buffer tube or lower itself?

The rear of the tube should allow for use of a wrench to help turn. You can try this route since the assistance of a wrench will add a lot more leverage.

I just looked it up online and a few people suggested applying a hair dryer to loosen the locktite on the buffer tube. Do you perhaps have a strap wrench to try and remove it?  If its locktite red I was reading that it needs to be heated to 450 degrees :training: I am not sure how to heat it that hot without damaging the finish but from what I was reading you will need a propane torch. I am not sure where you are located in NJ but I think Bangers Sport Shop in Winslow does this type of smithing. You might want to check with them. I installed an ace entry stock on my m&p ar15 and its great! What type of rifle do you have? I hope this helps!

I just looked it up online and a few people suggested applying a hair dryer to loosen the locktite on the buffer tube. Do you perhaps have a strap wrench to try and remove it?  If its locktite red I was reading that it needs to be heated to 450 degrees :training: I am not sure how to heat it that hot without damaging the finish but from what I was reading you will need a propane torch. I am not sure where you are located in NJ but I think Bangers Sport Shop in Winslow does this type of smithing. You might want to check with them. I installed an ace entry stock on my m&p ar15 and its great! What type of rifle do you have? I hope this helps!

Hair dryer...Maybe  heat gun...yes carefully   Some Kroil aplied from inside the receiver should work.

Magazine block in a vise will help as well to hold the receiver.

Recently removed one of those ace buffer tubes myself.  There is a wrench flat on the end of the tube that should allow you to torque on it.  Mine wasn't tough to get going, but if yours has any kind of thread locker on it then yes, hit it with a heat gun first (hair dryer likely won't get it hot enough).

There are lower receiver vise blocks you can buy so you can really crank on it without damaging the receiver finish - I have one you're welcome to borrow if you're anywhere near the Morristown area.