Sign in to follow this  
DargZ

CCMG Bolt Hold Open Actuator

Does anyone have one of these and have any opinions on them?  I saw the reviews on MidwayUSA and see the reviews are mixed.  I want to get an opinion from someone I can trust.

I have a TargetMaster .22 conversion kit and BDM magazines.  I know the BHOA does not work with the BDM magazines by default but I read that you can modify the BDM magazines so that it works with the BHOA.

Any thoughts or opinions would help before I purchase the BHOA and start destroying a mag.

I was going to convert my old BDM magazines, but the feedlips cracked and I picked up some of those with the metal inserts... which do not work with the follower.

I do run a BHOA, but it is more for manual function than anything else. The BDM follower holds the bolt to the rear, so I modified the BHOA by removing the finger that goes forward and is activated by the follower. I also had to fit it to my upper/lower, but now I can use the bolt release to lock the bolt back, reload, then release the bolt like a standard AR. Add in all the other CMMG upgrades, and my rifle functions pretty damn close to the traditional AR design.

Thanks.  I'd be interested in seeing what modifications you have made to the BHOA besides the standard fitting required.

I want it more to lock the bolt back so that I can see the chamber is empty.  It would also be nice to drop a mag in and just release the bolt. 

I may give it a shot and drop it in my basket the next time I make a purchase from a place that has it.  It's not a deal breaker for me but just a nice to have.

Posted Image

The picture is sort of looking at the BHOA if you were looking down the barrel. To the rear, you see the rectangular block that has some finish worn off? There should be a finger coming off that, extending out into the magazine hole. That is engaged by the CMMG follower, and causes the bolt to lock back on the last round (the opposite side fits into the bolt release). Removing that allows for standard BDM magazines to function with the BHOA in place, but still allows for the bolt release to engage the BHOA. I run a BAD lever on my lower, so it makes it even easier to work.

I did it with a pair of pliers (you can disassemble that part from the assembly) and a Dremel. I made it as smooth as possible, then did a coat of high temperature black paint (not that it makes a difference, but it was all I had).

It will work as you mentioned, however, you do have to pull the charging hand back to lock the bolt to the rear (followers won't give the clearance to engage the stop). Shy of that, reloading a magazine is done as if you were firing a 5.56mm.