cucucachu0000

New Hunter in New Jersey

Hey everyone ive recently become interested in hunting and just last week signed up for a hunter education class next month for shotgun. i was so excited about it i already read the book watched the dvd and filled out the workbook. where does a first time hunter who knows zero other hunters and has no exposure to hunting previously start? should i pay for a guide or something? is there even such a thing? what animal should i start with? i have to many questions to list so i would love suggestions from you guys for first time hunters in Jersey.

You can hunt whatever you like first! Birds are pretty fun. Test is exceptionally easy think I finished in 5 mins missed one but my brains photographic! Don't need to bring anything for the test/field day they supply you with everything. Welcome to the hunting world keep what you kill =P

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/

lots of info there.

Also, talk to your friends, co-workers, etc. You're bound to find someone who either hunts or has a relative/friend who does. 

I thought I knew zero hunters until I started asking around, turns out I know about a half-dozen and have hunted with two of them so far.

I'm in the same boat. I've never been a hunter (love fishing though) and used to think that hunting had that 'big huge pickup truck compensation' aspect, and my wife has always been pretty anti-hunting, but lately the political and economic climate first led me to acquire more guns (only had a 10/22 before), then I started thinking it would be a good idea to learn how to obtain wild food other than fish. So I took advantage of the fact my wife is anti big meat idustry (hormones, anti-biotics, how the animals are treated, etc), and she was actually OK with me and her son harvesting some wild meat. So we'll be heading out to PA this fall to look for some turkey and deer. Luckily we are avid naturalists and outdoorsmen - hiking, fishing, birding, camping - so hopefully the learning curve won't be too steep. The main thing I'm a little concerned with is learning how to field dress a deer. I might have to consider getting a hunting buddy to come with us the first time.

I just turned 25, I have only owned guns for a couple of years now was never around them just got an urge to buy one one day.  Any way im hooked, I just love guns (who doesnt) and have actually gone back to school for engineering to hopefully work in the firearms industry. what has brought me to hunting now though are a couple of things, that wild Alaskan show on discovery channel has kind of brought me over the hump to where i want to be a little more self reliant, i find myself saying "I should know how to do this" as i watch. secondly my diet, ive been on the Paleo/Primal diet for over a year (lost 50 poumds gained a sixpack) and part of what makes eating as much meat as I eat healthy is eating pasture raised or grass fed animals and there omega 3 goodness inside, only problem is its around 3 to 4 times the cost of regular meat. wild animals seem pretty "pasture raised" to me plus after watching a couple of movies showing how alot of domesticated animals are treated before their killed have me looking for a more ethical way of finding my meat.

idk what i want to hunt first i was thinking some type of bird because it was one of the few things i could find where you pay for like a guide, who i assume dresses the bird for you at the end. ill probably need something easy to handle from shooting to bringing it home and cooking it. 

thats awesome i wish i had any type of background with the outdoors the only two places ive lived are NYC and suburban NJ. I dont even own a knife lol. I have similar reasons for hunting myself im not a big fan of how most of our meat is treated i think it leads to less healthy meat, and then a less healthy us. the field dressing is what scares me the most about hunting the easy part is the killing part its everything that comes before and after like butchering or knowing how to get near an animal to get the shot thats hard.

There must be something you can hunt with a rifle, what's the class for? I have a question about these hunter education classes, does every state separate them like this? Could I get a non resident hunting license in say PA for hunting with a rifle with only the shotgun class from jersey?

There must be something you can hunt with a rifle, what's the class for? I have a question about these hunter education classes, does every state separate them like this? Could I get a non resident hunting license in say PA for hunting with a rifle with only the shotgun class from jersey?

pick yourself up a NJ Hunting Digest for 2013.  They are free and can be found at most sporting goods stores.  It has all the hunting regulations and restrictions and seasons for NJ.  Here is the pdf version.  Should help to answer a lot of your questions.

http://njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2012/dighnt12.pdf

It's for black powder rifles

Sent from my hidden under ground bunker between Taco Bell and the dry cleaner

Centerfire and rimfire rifles up to .25 caliber can be used to hunt woodchuck under during certain seasons if you use the correct bullet weight and type.  Check out page 66 of the digest. .22's can also be used by trappers for putting live trapped animals down.  Always check the digest for the specific regulations so you can be sure your always legal

Wow craziness,leave it to jersey. Thanks for the magazine its already downloaded on my tablet! Does anybody happen to know if just the shotgun class could get get me a permit to hunt with a rifle in other states like PA, or Georgia where one of my friends live or do I have to take the rifle course as well?

Wow craziness,leave it to jersey. Thanks for the magazine its already downloaded on my tablet! Does anybody happen to know if just the shotgun class could get get me a permit to hunt with a rifle in other states like PA, or Georgia where one of my friends live or do I have to take the rifle course as well?

Once you get the NJ Hunter Education certificate, you can buy a "big game" license to hunt deer or bear in another state with that certificate.

I think he is talking population density - it is the rational behind only allowing shotguns for hunting in NJ.

That's why I'm going to PA to do my hunting, even though I have turkeys eating out of my hand in my front yard!

Keep in mind that there are ten to twelve times the number of hunters in other states like PA & NY compared to the number of hunters in NJ. Granted the states mentioned are large in size, but you do share the woods with a lot more hunters.

Historically, deer hunting has the most fatalities, followed by turkey hunting.

Last year in PA they recorded no hunting fatalities for the first time since 1915, when they began recording such data. NY had a couple of fatalities during deer season, but that state's fatality number has been declining as well. All states have seen a decrease in hunting accidents and fatalities since the hunter education programs went into place.  

start small.  go try squirrels.  and don't think its easy. squirrels in the woods are much different than your neighborhood squirrel.  they ain't gonna just sit there while you try to drop em'. lol.  

youtube is your friend. 

Is there a legal way to hunt squirrels in jersey? Or would this be an out of state deal?

In New Jersey, you can hunt squirrels with shotgun, bow, crossbow and a small-caliber muzzleloader in certain areas. Should NJF&W pass the pending air rifle change, you will be able to hunt small game with pellet guns in 2014.

In New York and Pennsylvania, you may also hunt squirrel with a rimfire.

Pellet gun ..no way!!! I didn't hear of this..awesome. Ducks and birds are a hard start unless u get a guide. The point u made to be self relian go out and hunt some deer. one get a muzzle loader never hunt shotgun in nj just not a good idea. Go to any woods be it state or wma. Walk around leave the gun home start observing. You'll see all sorts of things from tracks to deer scat to obvious small beaten down paths cutting through low brush. If there's acorns there's deer somewhere near by. Over time you can predict what areas hold deer with a quick walk about. Once you find a little patch that has that life to it... not just a random pile o poop but some traffic sit againts a rock or base of a tree and hang out .. best times unless you follow moon is first light and last light anytime is good but dont burn yourself out sitting a full day untill your hooked of course. When you get one ..and you most likley will if you just take your time and relax being observant .. pullout the phone go to google and watch a how to field dress a deer. Watch it before u go but have the phone with you.. as well as a sharp knife rope and a head lamp in case your there a while.. you can do the same thing and butcher it yourself.. first time you might waste a bit but after two or three you'll be ripping through it np.. Get started right and make friends not enemies if you see a spot that is obviously being hunted go a few hundred yards away before even thinking of hunting again... don't be an ass....... how old are you.... what town.. if your near by ill show you a handful of spots ... just not my spots lol.

Ohh and seriously know what's behind the deerif possible get a little elevated so you have a backstop... nj is dense and I've had a few scares from dopes not being safe.. don't be that guy..

When you take your shotgun course is there a rifle course scheduled at the same time? If there is I would take that also. I am sure they will walk you through it. Very simple. Remember there is one question on the test and the answer is always red, white, and blue. Lots of people miss this one!

Just like everywhere else, if you follow the basic rules of firearm safety, hunting is a very safe activity.

Treat every firearm like it's loaded-all the time.

Always point the firearm in a safe direction - the ground, the air, etc...AWAY from people.

Be aware of your target and what's beyond.

Add for hunting - confirm your target - NEVER shoot at noise, and no deer/grouse/rabbit/pheasant is worth a man's life.

Statistically, you're WAY more likely to die from a heart attack (from overexertion) or a fall from a tree (from falling asleep in a tree-stand) than from being shot while hunting.

@so dank: Geez so many things to buy! What's wrong with hunting deer with a shotgun? I'm 25 I live in the Sayreville/old bridge area I don't think there's much hunting around here lol I'm willing to travel though to learn how to do this stuff. Thats why I was leaning towards birds, Idk what I'm doing and saw their were guides for them but couldn't find any for deer.

When you take your shotgun course is there a rifle course scheduled at the same time? If there is I would take that also. I am sure they will walk you through it. Very simple. Remember there is one question on the test and the answer is always red, white, and blue. Lots of people miss this one!

no shotgun only but I'm keeping an eye out for new class postings. If I take just the shotgun class and go back later for the rifle, do I have to do the whole class again or do I get a shorter class for that second class?

If you really want to hunt, and extend your hunting season, add the bowhunter's course. You get a full month and a half head start in the season with bear an whitetail, nearly two months for elk, antelope and mule deer out west and the seasons are extended.

Hit YouTube and watch some videos on identifying runs, scrapes, trails, etc... Also look into state land in either upstate ny or in pa.

We are starting to check our food plots now. Scope for some early rubs and set our cameras. Our blinds and treestands go up in about 3 weeks.

You can learn to field dress, quarter and debone and even butcher your harvest from YouTube.

Tags can get costly, you have muzzle, bow and shotgun, small game, bird, bear, etc... Pick one or two for the area that you have scoped out and have set your mind on.

Last thing, when you are scoping out your location(s) look for signs of other hunters. Orange tape, intentionally overturned rocks, trail cams, etc... This will help you make a decision to NOT pick an area that may be crowded.

If you really want to hunt, and extend your hunting season, add the bowhunter's course.

I agree.

Depending on the seasons based on zones and regulation sets, you can bowhunt for almost 6 months (Sept. - Feb.) in NJ, so there are plenty of opportunities. Finessing your way to understand the permits, zones, regulation sets and special permits is the tough part.