cucucachu0000

New Hunter in New Jersey

no shotgun only but I'm keeping an eye out for new class postings. If I take just the shotgun class and go back later for the rifle, do I have to do the whole class again or do I get a shorter class for that second class?

The morning of the test you can also take the rifle part of the test. Just tell the instructors when you sign in that you also want to take that portion. I did that when I went, I took all 3 at the same time. If you have no experience with a bow or crossbow don't worry about that part yet.  Enjoy.

I see on the website that in mid August they'll have weekend classes for all three. When they come out I think I'll switch to that and get all three out of the way for now.

Food plots I assume are kind of like spots you called shotgun on? I guess I have a lot of you tubing to do.

I see on the website that in mid August they'll have weekend classes for all three. When they come out I think I'll switch to that and get all three out of the way for now.

That's your best bet.

I took the class last year. Here's what to expect:

-Arrive at location. Hunter's Ed. staff will flip through your workbook to make sure you actually filled it out.

-Field portion A. which consists of a staff member talking about hunting, what's legal, what isn't, what kind of game you can hunt in NJ, how to properly handle firearms, etc. That's about an hour, IIRC. 

-Shotgun portion, in which you're walked through loading and firing a shotgun. You need not hit any target (you'll be shooting at clays) but you mist demonstrate proper gun safety. 

-Rifle, in which you're walked through loading and shooting a muzzle loader and a single shot 22 rifle.  Again, you won't be tested on accuracy, just knowledge and implementation of proper safe handling techniques.

-Bow portion, in which you are expected to hit a 3D deer target in the vitals with something like 3 or 4 out of 5 shots. You must provide your own bow or crossbow (the rifles and shotguns are provided for you). There are some specifics about draw weight, etc. 

Doing just one Discipline vs all 3 will save you maybe 30 minutes max. Go for all three 

In New Jersey, you can hunt squirrels with shotgun, bow, crossbow and a small-caliber muzzleloader in certain areas. Should NJF&W pass the pending air rifle change, you will be able to hunt small game with pellet guns in 2014.

In New York and Pennsylvania, you may also hunt squirrel with a rimfire.

In New Jersey, you can hunt squirrels with shotgun, bow, crossbow and a small-caliber muzzleloader in certain areas. Should NJF&W pass the pending air rifle change, you will be able to hunt small game with pellet guns in 2014.

In New York and Pennsylvania, you may also hunt squirrel with a rimfire.

I can't see  clean kills on squirrel with an air rifle unless they're right in front of you! You would know that! I wish they'd allow .22 cal, but that wouldn't ever happen in this state (air shot, ricochet  !

I can't see  clean kills on squirrel with an air rifle unless they're right in front of you! You would know that! I wish they'd allow .22 cal, but that wouldn't ever happen in this state (air shot) !

But, then again, we can as you mention, use a muzzle loader rifle .36 cal. and under for squirrel. I know it wouldn't carry as far.

I can't see  clean kills on squirrel with an air rifle unless they're right in front of you! You would know that! I wish they'd allow .22 cal, but that wouldn't ever happen in this state (air shot, ricochet  !

Squirrels are pretty tough critters. The pellet gun would have to be a stout one.

It will be interesting if they open up a rifle season for coyote.

Thought they did, haven't checked the new proposed compendium.

They were proposed, and F&W was looking for feedback, the deadline was June 13th for comments. I suspect we will hear something soon on these.

http://www.nj.gov/dep/rules/notices/20130415a.html

The cost of a few days of guiding would be well invested in your gear and some time in the field. There are deer in newark. Just no place to hunt them... if you look at ema state land there's something in driving distance.. birds ate fun but you need a dog and if you want more than once or twice a year it gets pricey

..good luck either way!!

How long is a hunting liscence good for?  I did this class when I was like 10 or 11 and actually still have in my possession that original lisence.  My brother has recently got into hunting and I think it would be cool to go with him.  I also would like to brush up on this over the next few years so that when my son is old enough he can get his lisence if he wants.  I don't own a shotgun or a muzzle but the wife is on board with me getting some.  I am trying to convince her I need a crossbow as well that is still a tough sale.  I know I can borrow a friends for the class... From what I am reading, Muzzle is prefered to shotgun hunting?  I would like to hunt primarily deer and turkey because I know I would eat them and so would my family.  I am willing to try any other game before making an opinion on if I like it or not.  I feel like the back sheep because several cousins hunt and my brother.  I think its time I jumped in and joined the party!

How long is a hunting liscence good for?  I did this class when I was like 10 or 11 and actually still have in my possession that original lisence.  My brother has recently got into hunting and I think it would be cool to go with him.  I also would like to brush up on this over the next few years so that when my son is old enough he can get his lisence if he wants.  I don't own a shotgun or a muzzle but the wife is on board with me getting some.  I am trying to convince her I need a crossbow as well that is still a tough sale.  I know I can borrow a friends for the class... From what I am reading, Muzzle is prefered to shotgun hunting?  I would like to hunt primarily deer and turkey because I know I would eat them and so would my family.  I am willing to try any other game before making an opinion on if I like it or not.  I feel like the back sheep because several cousins hunt and my brother.  I think its time I jumped in and joined the party!

Your hunter education card is good for life in NJ. If you have an old license, that is sufficient to allow you to procure a new hunting license. Hunting licenses (bow, general hunting, or all-around sportsman) are valid for a calendar year. Your hunter education card I'll assume is for shotgun only so you can buy a hunting license to take deer & turkey and other small game. Bow is separate. To hunt with a muzzleloading rifle you need to take the course for muzzleloader safety and then you can get your rifle permit.

If you want to hunt deer & turkey, buy a 12 ga. shotgun with a pair of barrels so you can use both slugs for deer and birdshot for other game.

no shotgun only but I'm keeping an eye out for new class postings. If I take just the shotgun class and go back later for the rifle, do I have to do the whole class again or do I get a shorter class for that second class?

Just took my Bow class today - if you are within one year of the last time you passed the safety part of the course, you can just take the the specific weapon test. Mine was over a year so I had to take the first 40 questions again. If you read the manual, watch the DVD and pay attention to the field walk through, you won't have a problem making 32 of 40.

Just took my Bow class today - if you are within one year of the last time you passed the safety part of the course, you can just take the the specific weapon test. Mine was over a year so I had to take the first 40 questions again. If you read the manual, watch the DVD and pay attention to the field walk through, you won't have a problem making 32 of 40.

so how long do you think it would take say I go back next month and take the test for the bow and rifle? 30 min? Or like still like an hour?

lol when the officer working on my FID/P2P asked me why I wanted to get my FID, one ofthe reasons was to get a rifle and hunt with my family... He tells me "Just have one of them buy one for you"..... note to self.... never take legal advise from the cops

Me and my brother switched our classes to the 18th of august for all three licenses! My sister has a bow i can screw around with and i think i can get accurate enough to get the license, but i think ill wait till i can get my own and become proficient with that before i try to actually go bow hunting. 

Anyway im doing some slow shopping for some basic hunting stuff. for instance i bought a Mora 612 knife, i heard some great stuff about mora and thought for the price i figured i cant lose. i also bought a kershaw skyline, same thing here i heard great stuff and figured i could use a good pocket knife. 

Next up though is where im having trouble deciding, i own a mossberg 500 self defense shot gun ( 18.5" barrel, pistol grip etc...) i was going to just buy a 28" barrel with the accuset chokes for about 160 and a new stock. but im wondering if maybe i should buy just a whole new shotgun ive seen mossberg's where you get two barrels the 28" and the rifled barrel for about 360ish. i feel i might be better off doing that and selling the self defense shotgun and buying the shorter barrel for 80 bucks. please let me know what you think, im getting more and more excited as i get closer to actually going through with this!

im definitely going to, ill probably go for a couple hours on both saturday and sunday. but then i have finals next week and cant really practice again till next weekend but ill have time after work every day leading up to the class. 3 our of 5 in a tend inch target from 15 yards doesnt sound too bad

lol when the officer working on my FID/P2P asked me why I wanted to get my FID, one ofthe reasons was to get a rifle and hunt with my family... He tells me "Just have one of them buy one for you"..... note to self.... never take legal advise from the cops

Always answer a cop that asks a stupid question back with another stupid question. (They love that) I would have replied " But officer wouldn't that be considered straw buying?" "Though that was illegal?" He basically just told you to solicit your family members to commit a felonious act. What an A-Hole.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

yea I know a cop who recently retired after 36 years...... he has nooooo clue about nj gun laws. i think most cops know the laws best that they use the most usually a basic handgun possession charges and lots of drug laws. its the lawyers and prosecutors who know the laws, their the ones that read the report and try to screw you with the little stuff they find in their. 

Well im back from my hunter education course and i now have my shotgun and rifle/muzzle-loader education card! I went alone as my brother mr. reliable backed out at the last minute and I didnt go for the bow since my little sister seemed to have interested in the bow license so i decided to wait for her. it wasnt terrible but it took fooooooreeeeeeevoooooor. if i knew what i know now i would have paid for the online course and skipped the little walk around lesson in the beginning and it sounded like the multiple choice test at the end too. i would have saved alot of time but i was being my usual cheap self. 

anyway my next step i guess is buying the actual license, I was going to just go ahead and buy what i got now or should i wait till i get the bow part in a few weeks and get the big all around package? im pumped, i cant wait to actually be bringing home the bacon!

Thanks i misread it, i thought it was the shotgun, bow, and rifle.  ill just go and get what i can now. i think im going to try small game hunting first to get my feet wet.  i was looking at the digest and if i read it right it looks like squirrel and rabit season are another month away and i think i might pick up an air rifle for that, but woodchuck season seems to still be going on now. I hope this isnt to much for a first time hunter, im willing to try anything as long as i can eat it... and by that i mean it has to taste good.

Thanks i misread it, i thought it was the shotgun, bow, and rifle.  ill just go and get what i can now. i think im going to try small game hunting first to get my feet wet.  i was looking at the digest and if i read it right it looks like squirrel and rabit season are another month away and i think i might pick up an air rifle for that, but woodchuck season seems to still be going on now. I hope this isnt to much for a first time hunter, im willing to try anything as long as i can eat it... and by that i mean it has to taste good.

Rifle permit is separate, $10.50 per year.

Lots of decent guys at newjerseyhunter.com, some not so. lol

Definitely look into bow hunting like another guy said to extend your season.

I strictly bow hunt now. For me deer hunting is the most peaceful thing in the world, love sitting up in tbe tree.

Bird hunting is a lot of fun, especially when you have or have access to a dog.

there's quite a few options for hunting preserves, which you might want to consider at first. Too many yahoos at the WMAs during pheasant season.

Good luck.

You can hit me up with a PM when you decide, i may have some time to give you pointers