Sign in to follow this  
diamondd817

Looking for Poconos Area Range(s)

Going to the Poconos. Looking for outdoor range(s). All I can find is Sunset Hill Shooting range. From reading their website it seems like you can only shoot their rentals.  Anyone have experience here or can recommend other ranges in the area? Looking to shoot rifle and handgun.

Sunset Hill is geared more to the NYC visitor crowd.....

Open range portion has a few 25yd ports.....   then center section is shotgun clay area.....  then other side is the rental section.....

its an OK place....  RO's are nice, especially once they realize you know your stuff , comapred to the NYC kids that come out to shoot the rentals on the weekend

Check out the State Game Land ranges. I go to SGL 183 all the time.

PA State Game Land ranges require you to have either a PA Hunting License or an annual permit from the PAGC (About $40 IIRC).

The longest distance Sunset Hill hast to offer is 40 yards. 

First time with your own gun you have to pay about $25 for "safety course", after that it's only $10/day. Shoot their fixed targets or pieces of wood at no extra charge. 

I'd spend the 40 bucks for the license to use the state game land ranges. It is good for te year and they go out to 100 yards and as close as 10 yards or pistols. If you're there on the weekend, this is definitely preferable to sunset hill which is like a mad house.

I've been to Tobyhanna State Game Lands Range before.  Not sure of the SGL # but if you google this it finds the location in Google....

41.170538,-75.443641

Just be on the look out for "yahoos" not exercising caution while shooting.  Here is a very good thread on this range.  

http://forum.pafoa.org/monroe-49/118156-tobyhanna-sgl-range-reports-page-38.html