5th4x4

Build at last!

looks better basics.. not a fan of flashlights and foregrips.

I agree

This would be fine for a range toy but if its a rifle I may need to use defensively I want every advantage I can muster

I agree

Agreed.  For a range gun this is fine.  But a light IMHO is a must.

and I agree

The beauty of the rail system is that ancillary gear can be mounted or unmounted according to the purpose. And in my opinion, that's what makes these AR's so freakin hot in the first place.

Your first build but looks like not your first time using a camera. Very well done angles. Looks like from a magazine.

Umm.... Ok. Thanks!

Wanna be my agent?? ; )

And with regard to that hand guard, if you try adding any Magpul stuff to it, like adding a mini rail, the bolts that come with the rail are not long enough to catch. I had that rail on my Stag and I added an AFG. Had to go to Depot and buy longer bolts (screws)

Diamondhead drop-in handguards have a modular rail mounting system that functions just like any pre-configured extended quad rail setup, so I'm not really understanding what you mean by short bolt issues causing ancillary gear from mounting onto the handguards without using longer bolts. 

So far the only limitation that I can see is that the carbine length drop-in handguards have more restrictive handguard/rail space availability due to it's overall shorter design. But other than that, I'm not following why longer bolts would be required for adding Magpul stuff to it. Which items specifically are you referring to bolting directly to the handguard? Isn't the AFG rail mounted?

(that's a serious inquiry, and not meant as a challenge)

Umm.... Ok. Thanks!

Wanna be my agent?? ; )

Diamondhead drop-in handguards have a modular rail mounting system that functions just like any pre-configured extended quad rail setup, so I'm not really understanding what you mean by short bolt issues causing ancillary gear from mounting onto the handguards without using longer bolts.

So far the only limitation that I can see is that the carbine length drop-in handguards have more restrictive handguard/rail space availability due to it's overall shorter design. But other than that, I'm not following why longer bolts would be required for adding Magpul stuff to it. Which items specifically are you referring to bolting directly to the handguard? Isn't the AFG rail mounted?

(that's a serious inquiry, and not meant as a challenge)

Magpul makes rail sections similar to the sections you got with that hand guards that were designed for the MOE hg's. You could conceivably us them on your fore end but would need longer screws than the ones the magpul sections come with.

The upside is magpuls sections are super cheap compared to the diamomdhead.

Build came out great man! Im starting to collect the parts for mine, just ordered the "magpul build kit" from PSA so it has begun! Although itll be another 4 months before i get my change of address from NJSP so itll be awhileeee before its complete, atleast it give me plenty of time to collect the parts though! Cant wait to see your next one!

Oh ok, I see. Magpul makes less expensive rails. So it's the Magpul rail sections that require a longer bolt to attach to the handguard. I got twisted around on that point due to the inclusion of the AFG being mentioned.

That's sort of a minor inconvenience anyway I suppose, since the carbine sized handguard doesn't offer much rail space for mounting anyway. And aside from the necessities, I'm not imagining a situation where I'm stacking my handguard with gear after gear along it's 4 lengths anyway.

Btw, why are the 2 designs not standard compatible? Any idea?

Oh ok, I see. Magpul makes less expensive rails. So it's the Magpul rail sections that require a longer bolt to attach to the handguard. I got twisted around on that point due to the inclusion of the AFG being mentioned.

That's sort of a minor inconvenience anyway I suppose, since the carbine sized handguard doesn't offer much rail space for mounting anyway. And aside from the necessities, I'm not imagining a situation where I'm stacking my handguard with gear after gear along it's 4 lengths anyway.

Btw, why are the 2 designs not standard compatible? Any idea?

Its the way the handguards are made.  

moe.jpg

The magpul rails are designed to compress with a "washer" on the back side of the hg.  As you can see they have an oblong slot where you can mount the rails in any slot for any number of rails.

Yours just literally screw into the handguard itself.

http://youtu.be/i4iJFtO_2dI

Its the way the handguards are made.  

moe.jpg

The magpul rails are designed to compress with a "washer" on the back side of the hg.  As you can see they have an oblong slot where you can mount the rails in any slot for any number of rails.

Yours just literally screw into the handguard itself.

Gotcha. Thanks for expounding on Barms original statement. All cleared up in my brain now ; )

Any idea on the size of the bolt (does Magpul actually use a bolt, or is it really a screw?) that would be needed?

Build came out great man! Im starting to collect the parts for mine, just ordered the "magpul build kit" from PSA so it has begun! Although itll be another 4 months before i get my change of address from NJSP so itll be awhileeee before its complete, atleast it give me plenty of time to collect the parts though! Cant wait to see your next one!

The "forced" patience may actually serve you well. It might also have you bouncing off the walls (I know that I would!). But a slow and steady compilation of parts is probably beneficial in the long run.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress when it finally starts going together. It's fun putting these things together!

That bolt/screw just needs to be like 3 threads longer. I just brought the magpul screw to HD and found it's thickness by using the grid board they have, that determined the thickness and then I just went to the drawer and found the next longest one. BTW it's an allen screw.

If you never want to add a grip onto that guard this is all mute. But i wanted an AFG on that hand guard.

If you never want to add a grip onto that guard this is all mute. But i wanted an AFG on that hand guard.

I actually just got the Magpul XTS hand stop. I figured that I'd give it a test drive to see how I like it.

I had considered the AFG too, but I had learned to shoot with a flat hand, so I didn't want to mess with what had always worked for me in the past. 

Are you liking your AFG?

Oh....

and I had enough rail left for the XTS. But now I'll need a bit more for the light, so thanks for the screw info.

That bolt/screw just needs to be like 3 threads longer. I just brought the magpul screw to HD and found it's thickness by using the grid board they have, that determined the thickness and then I just went to the drawer and found the next longest one. BTW it's an allen screw.

Just an fyi, the hg did come with 3 short rail sections for him to use.

FYI - Palmetto State Armory has some really good deals on red dots this weekend...  Vortex Strikefire, Sparc, or Aimpoint Pro...

Holy Hell, you aint kiddin!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/labor-day-sale/vortex-sparc-red-dot-optic.html

$150 after coupon, thats cheaper than I'd sell mine USED.

5th, if you can swing it, I wouldn't pass this deal up.

I have the sparc and really like it. The ONLY drawback I've had so far is the power but may get accidentally turned on while in your range bag.  But the warranty and this price more than make up for that. 

Holy Hell, you aint kiddin!

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/labor-day-sale/vortex-sparc-red-dot-optic.html

$150 after coupon, thats cheaper than I'd sell mine USED.

5th, if you can swing it, I wouldn't pass this deal up.

I have the sparc and really like it. The ONLY drawback I've had so far is the power but may get accidentally turned on while in your range bag.  But the warranty and this price more than make up for that. 

I wasn't actually ready for this type of purchase yet for two main reasons:

1) a lack of knowledge about optics

2) I had planned on giving my cc a bit of R&R for a while

...but I went ahead and pounced anyway.

However before doing so, I did a quick sweep through the internet looking at prices on this optic, and I found that the price really is quite good. 

Therefore, that's a good heads-up Krdshrk. (admittedly my cc isn't really liking you very much right now, but a deal is a deal)

As for my lack of knowledge (deal or no deal), I've learned to trust those who have proven themselves to have steered me in the right direction in the past, so checko's nudge was enough to cause me to go for it, and then Arbelest (the quiet one) made me feel a bit more confident after I had already made the purchase. 

Therefore this will be my first optic, and I will learn from here and see how it goes.

Ok.... but please.... no more enticing deals on gear for a while! 

(or at least until the weekend is over).

: )

However before doing so, I did a quick sweep through the internet looking at prices on this optic, and I found that the price really is quite good.

Therefore, that's a good heads-up Krdshrk. (admittedly my cc isn't really liking you very much right now, but a deal is a deal)

As for my lack of knowledge (deal or no deal), I've learned to trust those who have proven themselves to have steered me in the right direction in the past, so checko's nudge was enough to cause me to go for it, and then Arbelest (the quiet one) made me feel a bit more confident after I had already made the purchase.

Therefore this will be my first optic, and I will learn from here and see how it goes.

5th...PM Sent

Its pretty simple. Keep both eyes open, co witness with irons as you like it, focus on the target, and never ever use the 2x magnifier that it comes with lol.

Its pretty simple. Keep both eyes open,

I imagine that there are some rifle guys here who were actually weaned on these optics, and therefore "both eyes open" comes very naturally to them. To me it sounds kinda.... blasphemous!  : P

But... old dog + new trick. That'll be me.

co witness with irons as you like it, focus on the target,

I do like how iron sights can still be incorporated into the optics setup, so learning to master that aspect should be an interesting (as in 'fun') challenge.

and never ever use the 2x magnifier that it comes with lol.

I've seen that said elsewhere during my abbreviated research on this optic. It's really that troublesome/lacking, huh? 

Its pretty simple. Keep both eyes open,

I imagine that there are some rifle guys here who were actually weaned on these optics, and therefore "both eyes open" comes very naturally to them. To me it sounds kinda.... blasphemous!  : P

But... old dog + new trick. That'll be me.

co witness with irons as you like it, focus on the target,

I do like how iron sights can still be incorporated into the optics setup, so learning to master that aspect should be an interesting (as in 'fun') challenge.

and never ever use the 2x magnifier that it comes with lol.

I've seen that said elsewhere during my abbreviated research on this optic. It's really that troublesome/lacking, huh? 

Yeah, its pretty meh.  If you feel you want the ability to magnify your optic, I would recommend saving up a bit and buying a standalone.

The one that comes with it isnt the clearest, and restricts your field of vision more than it needs to for only 2x IMO.  cons > pros

I have the Magpul STR really nice. I really like the cheek weld and the storage is nice. The friction lock really makes a difference. And you can pin it under the rubber tube covers... you don't have to hack up the locking mechanism to pin it. You would have to remove the tubes to pin it in the popular area. And Ace hardware is a great place to get rollpins all sizes and you don't have to cut the down.....