5th4x4

Build at last!

The friction lock also prevents the stock from wobbling just a little. May not matter for some people because you're pinning the stock anyway, but it may depend on how it's pinned. If you drive the pin through the stock and into the buffer tube, then you'll probably get less wobble than if you pin the stock by just securing the latch.

Glad you're having fun with your first build. I just ordered the last parts I needed to compete my first build on Friday. I've been at it since Christmas waiting for the parts I want to come in stock and to have the funds at the same time. You won't be disappointed with the bcm upper. It's one of the more solid uppers I've handled. Plus, they send you all kinds of goodies in the box along with it.

So yesterday afternoon was productive - rifle-wise - for a change. I was all caught up with work issues (for the moment, at least) so I finally had a chance to put something together that didn't involve writing lines of code!

And since it was such a gorgeous day, I decided to set up shop out on my screened-in back porch.

setup0.jpg

Ok, so all of you haters can feel free to hate on my high-tech big-money portable work-bench. But all I got to say about that is:

Work hard, and someday you too may be able to afford the finest of luxuries like this.

(although I'm pretty sure that all of you haters already have a better digi camera than me. Those freakin lines are showing up on my pictures far too frequently these days)

Anyway...

As you can see, I didn't really have a lot of parts to assemble as of yet. The receiver extension is still in transit, and the upper should arrive sometime today (it left Saddle Brook and is "Out for delivery" as of 5:27am this morning).

So my "build" on this day was all about little plastic baggies filled with little metal pieces.

And here is how that went:

First of all, I used this video as a guide:

I advise watching the video all the way through prior to starting. Seeing the "big picture" prior to starting work on the "small picture" stuff will serve you well.

In addition, I used this to help me distinguish between similarly-looking pieces and for matching nomenclature to pictures:

parts.jpg

That is a screen-capture from AR15.com which can be found here:

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

There is some solid help to be found on that page. And the guy who made the video actually used the process that is outlined on that very same page for the basis of his video.

Ok, so here are my thoughts about the entire process:

The trigger guard was super easy. My parts kit came with a standard straight trigger guard, so there was nothing unique about installing it. One end snaps into place, the other end requires tapping a pin in. 

Real easy.

Even so, it was the first piece - and the first pin - that I put on this rifle, so after I got that installed I felt like I had just hand-chiseled Mount Rushmore!  : P

High fives ensued! My right hand high-fived my left hand, and then my left hand tried to go low... but my right hand left him hanging. (thats just a bit too much overkill for just tapping-in a stupid pin. Seriously! My left hand can't write, it can't throw, and it obviously has no sense of proper perspective when it comes to achievements)

Oh, and it's probably wise to heed the advice about supporting the "ears" on the receiver so as not to bend them when tapping in the pin. I used a scrap piece of crown molding, which had a perfectly graduated pitch for supporting the ears. Anything that is about 1/8" thick will work fine for that purpose though.

Btw, the trigger guard installation is the 2nd item that gets installed in the video. I jumped ahead only because it was so ridiculously easy to do, and I felt like I wanted the very first piece that I would install on my rifle to be something that would require tapping in a pin, as opposed to just turning some threads.

(yeah, I'm weird like that)

Ok, moving on to the the magazine catch now (the first item that gets installed in the video).

Nothing to it. 3 easy pieces. 2 of them thread together - with a feisty spring between them.

I suppose there is a potential for scratching the receiver while turning the magazine catch, but if you depress the button really well, you can get an extra full-turn out of it and still not scratch the receiver.

(btw, if you have weak little girlie-hands.... you might want to hire a lumberjack for that part)

Oh, and I should probably mention that I had mounted the receiver onto my expensive high-tech magazine block for that part of the installation. Same for the next step below.

Ok so far, so good.

Next up is the bolt catch. For this part I definitely broke out the blue painters tape in order to protect the receiver from scratches. And after having performed this part of the build, I can see how you can really scrape-up the receiver if you don't.

In the video, the guy not only uses painters tape, but then he pauses the video, and then you see that he also added layers of electrical tape as well(!). And after he's finished installing the bolt catch, he laughs himself silly at how much taping-overkill he did : P

So all you really need is a bit of tape along the entire length of the magazine well and above the trigger. You're just protecting against the hammer/punch scraping across the receiver, since the pin for the bolt catch gets tapped-in parallel to the receiver (unlike the other pins that get tapped into the receiver).

The bolt catch is not particularly difficult to install, but having just installed it, I do have a fresh bit of advice/warning that may be helpful to rookie builders such as myself.

The issue that I confronted was: Which spring do I use????

There are 2 short springs that come with the parts kit, and they are similar in appearance. And if you are unfamiliar with these parts, it's easy to start doubting yourself about which one to use.

However...

First of all, you can consult the image of the parts. Maybe that will help you figure out which spring to use (although I was still stumped).

So better yet, watch the video all the way through in advance of building a single thing, and you will learn that the small spring with a slightly larger end on one side is NOT the short spring for the bolt catch.

So yes, there are 2 short springs that look alot alike if you don't know what to look for. But once you see the big picture, you'll know

And just for full disclosure: I guessed (!!!). Although fortunately, I guessed correctly (as I only later learned via the big picture).

But don't be that guy. That guy sweats for a while : P

Ok, I'll post this part and then continue again in a little while..... since the work client situation has suddenly become less quiet all of a sudden :/

to-be-continued-500x327.jpg

The bolt catch spring is straight on both sides. The disconnector spring is flared on one side (one side wider than the other). The only other springs that are similar (butnot really) are the take down/pivot detent spring and the selector spring. The selector spring is fatter and there is only one. I like this picture better because it shows the groupings.

d5d241fd7251b5a1bff405f78a2591c4.jpg

Everything else is cake. Watch out for the trigger spring configuration. A lot of people doing this for the first time mix up the orientation of the springs and end up with issues like light primer strikes.

Your bench is fancy... I put my lower together in my lap... LoL

You just know that someone is going to escalate that. Something like...

"I put my lower together in my lap too....... while riding the bike during an Ironman triathlon. And I finished that leg in 1st place!"

Btw, I don't want to know what you used for a magazine block  : o

I put both of mine together on my coffee table. Its not advised but it can be done.

Well, my "bench" is an old (but sturdy!) end-table. Found it on the side of the road. Looked like 'treasure' to me, so I repurposed it.

Bottom-line:

Living room furniture and rifle-work go well together!

What task doesn't go well with living room furniture?

Log-splitting!

You just know that someone is going to escalate that. Something like...

"I put my lower together in my lap too....... while riding the bike during an Ironman triathlon. And I finished that leg in 1st place!"

Btw, I don't want to know what you used for a magazine block  : o

I didn't use a magazine block... But had an old length of board that I laid the lower on when I had to bash pins in....

Glad you're having fun with your first build. I just ordered the last parts I needed to compete my first build on Friday. I've been at it since Christmas waiting for the parts I want to come in stock and to have the funds at the same time. You won't be disappointed with the bcm upper. It's one of the more solid uppers I've handled. Plus, they send you all kinds of goodies in the box along with it.

Just received my upper from BCM today : )

Looks sweet.... and serious!!

And you are correct...... it arrived filled with additional goodies!

Plus as a jarhead, BCM is more than a supplier of rifles/parts. Those guys are 'on mission'!

So first thing in the morning tomorrow, one of their included window decals will find it's way onto my truck. Ooh-freakin-rah!

Meantime, should I fire-up the backhoe and bury this thing in the yard until I address the flash suppressor that's on this thing??

I was going to just twist that thing off of there and swallow it, but if I understand the <puke>law</puke> in this state, the threads on the barrell are just as dangerous. Yes?

It's not having the flash suppressor that's illegal, it's having the threaded barrel giving you the ability to use the rifle with one on. Pick out a muzzle brake (I like the Troy Claymore and Medieval) and bring it to a smith to permanently pin/weld it to the barrel.

It's not having the flash suppressor that's illegal, it's having the threaded barrel giving you the ability to use the rifle with one on. Pick out a muzzle brake (I like the Troy Claymore and Medieval) and bring it to a smith to permanently pin/weld it to the barrel.

actually flash hider IS an issue.. the law reads..

flash hider OR threaded muzzle capable of accepting one.. 

that is why the ONLY solution is a brake permanently attached per ATF guidelines.. if you attach a muzzle device per ATF guidelines it is to be considered part of the barrel and negates the threads.. 

Pics tomorrow. 

I work from home... and I work on the computer. So my clients are either quiet.. or else they are active. I've had an unusually active period over the past 2 weeks..... which also happens to coincide with the time-frame of my build!!!!

But clients come first. Rifle second. So pics in the morning, before my clients start stirring : )

Pics tomorrow. 

I work from home... and I work on the computer. So my clients are either quiet.. or else they are active. I've had an unusually active period over the past 2 weeks..... which also happens to coincide with the time-frame of my build!!!!

But clients come first. Rifle second. So pics in the morning, before my clients start stirring : )

definitely post pics as soon as you pick up that upper back from the FFL that is pinning the brake on.. 

you should have just ordered the upper with a comp on it. but if you need to have a flash hider removed i would suggest thinking about replacing the front sight gas block with a low profile one if you are at all interested in a free float hand guard. also what type of hand guard you want to use as the muzzle device needs to be off to put on a proprietary barrel nut that some hand guards use.

I would get that upper to an FFL asap so they can get that compliance work done. Have you picked out a comp?

No comp yet. So feel free to help me spend my money ; )

Lalo made suggestions, but I haven't had the chance to search for them yet (I'm actually cooking dinner for me and my bride at the moment).

This thing looks skinny and short (no receiver extension/butt stock yet - but it's on the way) and no handguards or rails (nothing ordered - still undecided), but it still looks deadly : P

Btw, I still need a rear sight too. Removable carrier handle, or am I clinging too much to the past??

No comp yet. So feel free to help me spend my money ; )

Lalo made suggestions, but I haven't had the chance to search for them yet (I'm actually cooking dinner for me and my bride at the moment).

This thing looks skinny and short (no receiver extension/butt stock yet - but it's on the way) and no handguards or rails (nothing ordered - still undecided), but it still looks deadly : P

Btw, I still need a rear sight too. Removable carrier handle, or am I clinging too much to the past??

if you like carry handle then go with it. its your rifle. it will limit your ability to put a red dot on tho. but hey to each their own. you can always remove it and change it as you wish.

I'm looking to pick a used carry handle for another rifle I have. I would still advise on a red dot for home security.

As far as comps go I have a miculek comp and a spikes dynacomp. The former is extremely effective with muzzle rise and can keep follow up shots on target no problem, cheap too. It can be a pain for others since its loud and has a lot of side blast.

The latter is a more money but a good all around comp. Its similar in design to a battle comp but much less $ looks cool as hell too.

As far as your handguards go, I would look simple and effective. You're probably not hanging a ton of stuff off it so I'd look at a magpul or standard carbine guards. You can pick them up for cheap and not have to worry about all the rails. Did you have any in mind?