dwamp2006

The wait begins, change of adress and 3 p2ps

Handed in my paperwork for a change of address and 3 pistol permits to red lion state police barracks. I asked the aprox wait time knowing deep down I would be let down, and what do you know I was told 5+ MONTHS!!!!! I cant believe how some towns can actually be reasonable and get it done in 30-60 days and I have to wait 5 Fing months. Well hopefully ill get them in time for tax season atleast... but now I cant buy anything for awhile. I guess I should get paperwork ready for 3 more p2ps and hand them in when I pick up my new ones. Sorry for the vent but what ever happened to shall not be infringed? pretty sure a 5 month wait for a permit is infringing...... ahh my head is boiling.... I know I know I should move to a free state but that's not possible... anyway ill update as the process moves along...

Handed in my paperwork for a change of address and 3 pistol permits to red lion state police barracks. I asked the aprox wait time knowing deep down I would be let down, and what do you know I was told 5+ MONTHS!!!!! I cant believe how some towns can actually be reasonable and get it done in 30-60 days and I have to wait 5 Fing months. Well hopefully ill get them in time for tax season atleast... but now I cant buy anything for awhile. I guess I should get paperwork ready for 3 more p2ps and hand them in when I pick up my new ones. Sorry for the vent but what ever happened to shall not be infringed? pretty sure a 5 month wait for a permit is infringing...... ahh my head is boiling.... I know I know I should move to a free state but that's not possible... anyway ill update as the process moves along...

Good luck and hopefully your wait is less than expected!

Good luck and hopefully your wait is less than expected!

thanks, I hope so too, but if I get them right in time for tax season I might actually be able to use all 3.

so I guess I cant buy any long guns in the mean time, but I can still buy ammo correct? just not online since the address wont match, unless anyone knows of online retailers don't ask for an NJ FID?

I don't get it, maybe the real hold up is at the central office and not individual barracks/municipalities. I handed in the app at 12:30pm today on my lunch break, BOTH of my references have already received a phone call from the officer as of 3:00pm today. Both were asked the normal 10 questionaire. hmmmm.......

maybe he just told me that in hopes I wouldn't be one to call every 30 days? I dunno just seems crazy that they can call my references 3 hours after I drop off the app and yet tell me 5 months.... I was standing next to one of my references (call lasted all of 30 seconds with rapid no's and one yes (can he handle a gun). and the other reference called my 5 minutes later telling me he got the call.....

maybe he just told me that in hopes I wouldn't be one to call every 30 days? I dunno just seems crazy that they can call my references 3 hours after I drop off the app and yet tell me 5 months.... I was standing next to one of my references (call lasted all of 30 seconds with rapid no's and one yes (can he handle a gun). and the other reference called my 5 minutes later telling me he got the call.....

Well, I suppose I should help to reset your expectation.  I just recently passed the 27 week mark working through the same barracks (I was told "about 10 weeks" when I submitted my application for 3 handgun permits early this year).  Additionally, the State cashed my $6 check on July 12th, so I have been "eagerly waiting" ever since.

Everyone I have ever spoken with at Red Lion (I call occassionally to see where things stand) has been very nice...but they never have an answer.  I have seen the tidy log book they use to record activity for each requesting citizen.  Really not their fault that the system is so poor for our State employees and the citizens they serve.  It seems the NJSP process for handgun permits is the most complicated, compared to what I have read about local municipalities in the state.  Pre-ridiculousness, it had taken 11 weeks each the prior two times I have applied for handgun permits.  Good luck staying patient.  I will post again when I get the magic call.  Oh, and I confirmed on my last call that the permits will be dated at the state office, so don't expect to get your full 90 days to use that last permit.

Got the call on August 13th that my 3 permits are in.  Can't bear to do the math, but I applied on January 29th.  My permits were dated July 30th!  Lovely, 2 weeks prior to calling me.  The trooper that I spoke with when I picked them up told me that he lives in a small NJ town, and even he has been waiting for over a month for a P2P.  I suppose no one is exempt from the process we are suffering with in this State.

Got the call on August 13th that my 3 permits are in.  Can't bear to do the math, but I applied on January 29th.  My permits were dated July 30th!  Lovely, 2 weeks prior to calling me.  The trooper that I spoke with when I picked them up told me that he lives in a small NJ town, and even he has been waiting for over a month for a P2P.  I suppose no one is exempt from the process we are suffering with in this State.

Thanks for the update. Looks like i have awhile ahead of me. Just curious, how long did it take them to call your references at first? I think it depends alot on what trooper is assigned your case. atleast i have awhile to save up for what i want i guess. 

I work with a part time officer and have asked him, says he waits about 2 months for his p2ps but doesnt have to deal with OGAM.

I just dropped off my app for change of address and they said they had to get my prints from the previous town i lived in (same county).

Well i was never printed by that town other than the typical one finger print on the back of the card. I have 3 non resident carry permits i have had complete sets of prints at least 5 times. So the detective(Wharton Boro) tells me if Montville doesnt have prints i will have to go get them done. I have changed my address a couple times and never had to do this before. Is this something new? Or is just another way to slow down the process introduced by the local PD. I even gave them a full print card i had done by a detective friend of mine a couple of years ago. My fingers are so chewed up there is no mistaking my prints !  They didnt ask for my FID or any money

Handed in my paperwork for a change of address and 3 pistol permits to red lion state police barracks. I asked the aprox wait time knowing deep down I would be let down, and what do you know I was told 5+ MONTHS!!!!! ..

I know i'm beating a dead horse while preaching to the choir, but damn this pisses me off. The law says 30 days.. and this is the NJ state POLICE  openly and without any fear of consequence admitting they have no intention of following the law. Admitting in fact they have every single intention of breaking it. I'm pretty sure if you told them that you were going being leaving their parking lot doing 90 mph they wold have had 3 guys ready and able to stop you on the way out.

It's like in the "compliance" thread when people are really happy to report a turn-around of 60 days. It's like being happy that you only got mugged and not beaten. Sure on a real world basis i would rather just get mugged than getting beaten and mugged, but I don't think I would actually be happy with either.  </end rant>

i got my FID around 1984 in haledon i dont remember if i got printed back then, I have however been printed several times in the last 10 yrs ( carry permits) and had my address change at least 3 times 2 times in the same town (Montville) I now live in Mine Hill which Wharton Boro PD covers. I just found it weird that i now may have to get prints

Thanks for the update. Looks like i have awhile ahead of me. Just curious, how long did it take them to call your references at first? I think it depends alot on what trooper is assigned your case. atleast i have awhile to save up for what i want i guess. 

I work with a part time officer and have asked him, says he waits about 2 months for his p2ps but doesnt have to deal with OGAM.

My references were called within a few weeks of me applying.  I was initially told it would take about 10 weeks for the entire process, and this was consistent with my last 2 applications (3 years ago) which took 11 weeks each time. 

When I called at the 10 week mark to see if my permits were in I was told that mine was one of three (more were sent in that same day) that never came back, meaning other peoples permits came back from the same submission date but not mine. The sergeant I dealt with said he would "fax it to the state" again.  I called 2 months later and was told my mental health check never came back.  I stopped in two weeks after that and the MH check had come in the day prior to my visit.  Stopped in every two weeks or so after that...to no avail.  Then I got the call.  Shot my new Kimber TLE II yesterday.  Sweet!

i got my FID around 1984 in haledon i dont remember if i got printed back then, I have however been printed several times in the last 10 yrs ( carry permits) and had my address change at least 3 times 2 times in the same town (Montville) I now live in Mine Hill which Wharton Boro PD covers. I just found it weird that i now may have to get prints

sounds like your new change of adress municipality decided you went too long and made you reprint. carry prints dont matter since they have to go through morpho now adays anyway. i have heard some municipalities even make you reprint every 5 years even if youve always lived there.....

My references were called within a few weeks of me applying.  I was initially told it would take about 10 weeks for the entire process, and this was consistent with my last 2 applications (3 years ago) which took 11 weeks each time. 

When I called at the 10 week mark to see if my permits were in I was told that mine was one of three (more were sent in that same day) that never came back, meaning other peoples permits came back from the same submission date but not mine. The sergeant I dealt with said he would "fax it to the state" again.  I called 2 months later and was told my mental health check never came back.  I stopped in two weeks after that and the MH check had come in the day prior to my visit.  Stopped in every two weeks or so after that...to no avail.  Then I got the call.  Shot my new Kimber TLE II yesterday.  Sweet!

congrats on the new purchase, i really like those kimbers but damn are they $$$$$. im hoping the trooper assigned to my app really has his shit together, after all he did call my refs 3 hours after i handed in my app so im going to keep a positive attitude.

sounds like your new change of adress municipality decided you went too long and made you reprint. carry prints dont matter since they have to go through morpho now adays anyway. i have heard some municipalities even make you reprint every 5 years even if youve always lived there.....

congrats on the new purchase, i really like those kimbers but damn are they $$$$$. im hoping the trooper assigned to my app really has his shit together, after all he did call my refs 3 hours after i handed in my app so im going to keep a positive attitude.

Fingers crossed for you.  My wife will be applying for an FID card and permits soon, so please keep us posted on the timing for you getting yours.

WOW! My references got their letters in 2 days and sent them the following day they received them.  Also Montville must of had some prints that i had forgotten, they also sent them to Wharton within the same week as the reference letters.

Now the comes the true test.All my paper work was submitted 8/26. count down begins

UPDATE: Called red lion today and was told I would get a call back, so instead I called over the firearms unit and spoke to a very nice lady who informed my application was just receive on 10/28 by them. So I asked why she thought it took that long from me handing it in to them receiving, apparently they had to run all their investigations first now it goes to the firearms unit for more investigation? anyway she said she would find it for me and try and get it going. Hopefully that was real talk and not to just get me off the phone... so can anyone else with experience tell me approx. how much longer I have to wait? Thanks

I go through the Hamilton NJSP and recently it has been anywhere for 45 to 60 days after the firearms unit receives the paperwork until I receive my permits or FID.

I actually called about outstanding P2Ps and was quoted 30 to 60 days after the firearms unit receives the paperwork.

Did you ever live in Passaic County? If not them, it could be the county adjuster's office. Jef Heninger said that he was working on a client's case where it was held up by the adjuster's office. This is for the mental health records.

Unfortunately I lived in Wayne for a year so this affects me. 

UPDATE: Called red lion today and was told I would get a call back, so instead I called over the firearms unit and spoke to a very nice lady who informed my application was just receive on 10/28 by them. So I asked why she thought it took that long from me handing it in to them receiving, apparently they had to run all their investigations first now it goes to the firearms unit for more investigation? anyway she said she would find it for me and try and get it going. Hopefully that was real talk and not to just get me off the phone... so can anyone else with experience tell me approx. how much longer I have to wait? Thanks

Well, you are 3 months in to what was a 7-month process for me at Red Lion.  It will be interesting to see if your call to the firearms unit speeds things up for you.  Please keep us posted.

I have to say that shooting my Kimber TLE II .45, Sig MK 25 and Kimber Team Match 9mm have been so much fun that the 7-month ordeal is barely a memory.  Good luck!

I know how you are feeling.  I just did a change of address in Cherry Hill 46 days ago and I am still waiting.

Funny thing is that if voter registration took this long there would be an outrage.

I know how you are feeling.  I just did a change of address in Cherry Hill 46 days ago and I am still waiting.

Funny thing is that if voter registration took this long there would be an outrage.

And a lawsuit by our US-AG!

Barracks just called, my permits are in and ready to be picked up!!! I guess the lady i spoke to wasnt kidding, wish i remembered her name because i would be calling her from now on.... lol Just over 3 months for the process, which was still a month and half shorter than when i got my initial from Hamilton twp PD. Nowwww, what to buy......

Barracks just called, my permits are in and ready to be picked up!!! I guess the lady i spoke to wasnt kidding, wish i remembered her name because i would be calling her from now on.... lol Just over 3 months for the process, which was still a month and half shorter than when i got my initial from Hamilton twp PD. Nowwww, what to buy......

Congrats, even though 3 months is still way too long to wait it is much better than the 6 months I will most likely wait!

Now go ahead and apply for more permits!

SO PISSED RIGHT NOW!!! I just went to pick my permits and change of address up since i can pick up any time. Well they had my 3 permits but no change of address card!! Ugh! now i have to go back tomorrow night after i take the civil service exam to speak the trooper in charge of FIDs, which probably wont be till like 10 at night.... I should have known it was too good to be true..... Rant over...