Shawnmoore81

Nice bust in Camden

this is 2x now, i've seen them reference a bullet proof vest as if it's illegal. am i wrong here? to the best of my knowledge, there is/was no law against having a bullet proof vest.....or any kind of body armor.....as long as you weren't a felon.......am i wrong?

From the New Jersey Criminal Code:

2C:39-13.  Unlawful use of body vests

1. Unlawful use of body vests.  A person is guilty of a crime if he uses or wears a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit murder, manslaughter, robbery, sexual assault, burglary, kidnaping, criminal escape or assault under N.J.S.2C:12-1b.  Use or wearing a body vest while engaged in the commission of, or an attempt to commit, or flight after committing or attempting to commit a crime of the first degree is a crime of the second degree.  Otherwise it is a crime of the third degree.

As used in this section, "body vest" means bullet-resistant body armor which is intended to provide ballistic and trauma protection.

Why is this a stupid law? It's a great add on charge for criminals. You can have a vest, just don't be doing illegal things while wearing it.

You could be caught doing "illegal things" at any moment. Especially if you get "uppity" and politically active. There should be no "add on charges" for possession of anything. And a vest is simply a matter of self defense. Obviously, if you are trying to defend yourself, you are really up to no good.

It's a crazy world where not only the bearing of arms is illegal but also trying to prevent yourself from being killed by them can be held against you if you run afoul of the law.

yea....in this instance i agree.

there was a shooting reported in camden earlier this week. it was noted that the victim....who died.......was wearing body armor. it wasn't said if there were drugs involved or not.....but they noted that camden county pd said that the armor was suspicious.

You could be caught doing "illegal things" at any moment. Especially if you get "uppity" and politically active. There should be no "add on charges" for possession of anything. And a vest is simply a matter of self defense. Obviously, if you are trying to defend yourself, you are really up to no good.

It's a crazy world where not only the bearing of arms is illegal but also trying to prevent yourself from being killed by them can be held against you if you run afoul of the law.

" 28 small bags of purported crack/cocaine, 106 small clear bags of purported heroin "

Just not worried about a drug dealer's right to self defense

" 28 small bags of purported crack/cocaine, 106 small clear bags of purported heroin "

Just not worried about a drug dealer's right to self defense

I am worried about every person's right to self defense.

And, like I said, hope that law doesn't bite you. Plenty of people in NJ jails that thought they were within their rights for what they were doing. Heck, imagine if a couple guys jump you and you get into a fight trying to defend yourself. Their word against yours. You picked a bad day to wear that vest on your way to your job at Rutgers Camden.

I don't think getting uppity and politically active will land you a crime of the first degree so you can wear the vest all you want.