Sign in to follow this  
Barms

9mm AR magazines...

I saw a guy who had an AR that was dedicated 9mm.    What i liked about it was that the magazines looked like "regular" AR mags.   When i start researching 9mm ARs it appears 90% of what i see is ARs that use UZI type mags.  For my taste that ruins the look completely, it looks incomplete.

So before i waste anymore time can someone give me a quick review of ARs that use a "regular looking" magazine?  Is it just a special magazine, or is the lower actually unique?  From what i've read guys use a regular lower and install a "magwell block"?  (or something like that) to use the UZI mags.  That's whats making me wonder if the only way you an use a regular looking AR mag is if the lower is indeed unique.  I already know about what is different in the upper (like the bolt etc).   Its just the magazine thing i'm really fixated on.   I could really swear the magazines were full size.. they might not have "curved" much.. but they were full size 223 looking.

So if anybody can give some info, or products, or links to this type of setup it'd be much appreciated. 

Different companies use different mags for the lowers, because they already modified the magwell. I know the RRA 9mm rifles use Uzi Mags.. on the other hand, yes you can use a magwell adapter...and standard AR lower... i've actually never seen a AR style magazine, although i have see ones that "look" like them, but still have that typical handgun profile.. There should be some type of list that will tell you which mags work with any given 9mm upper..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/963844/olympic-magazine-ar-15-9mm-luger-32-round-polymer-black

Looks like Olympic arms makes the adapter and magazine in one... is that it? i think its a sten type magazine..so the upper would have to be able to use them..

There are two main styles of ar15 9 mm carbines

Olympic Style -the ejector is in the upper receiver

Colt style - the ejector is in the magazine

Olympic now makes magazines that fit in a standard ar15 mag well.

The magazine types are not compatible between styles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

There are two main styles of ar15 9 mm carbinesOlympic Style -the ejector is in the upper receiverColt style - the ejector is in the magazineOlympic now makes magazines that fit in a standard ar15 mag well. The magazine types are not compatible between styles.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Okay. So then with the olympic you can use ANY lower (and the proper dedicated upper) and you are good to go? It's that simple? Or does other parts of that upper need to be configured (like is the ramp or extractor unique) to that olympic magazine?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/963844/olympic-magazine-ar-15-9mm-luger-32-round-polymer-black

Looks like Olympic arms makes the adapter and magazine in one... is that it? i think its a sten type magazine..so the upper would have to be able to use them..

Well this is close. But boy that big is just crazy for NJ

Okay. So then with the olympic you can use ANY lower (and the proper dedicated upper) and you are good to go? It's that simple? Or does other parts of that upper need to be configured (like is the ramp or extractor unique) to that olympic magazine?

Everything in the Olympic design is self contained in the upper. For magazines you have the choice of their proprietary magazines or getting a magazine block for sten mags.

The upper contains the ramp already and the bolt in the upper is different since the 9mm uppers are blowback, not gas operated direct impingement like a regular ar15.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD