DeeVeeEight

Resistance to FID application

I reside in Haddon Township and am under the impression that the local LEO's are dragging their feet and resisting my application for a FID PTP. I have gone through the fingerprinting process and have followed instructions regarding calling the local P.D. to submit my paperwork but this is where the problem lies. The officer in charge of the applications is very slow to respond and seems to have an attitude. What are my options?

Collingswood is the same. One officer does it all so he is pissy he's backed up instead of having an administrative person do 95% of the process like the smart towns do. He's not even in the office most of the time and you can't leave the paperwork with anyone else.

First of all how long has it been since you were fingerprinted?  If it is a couple of weeks or less try following up with the officer that processes the paperwork. 

Next you can start going up the chain of command starting with the chief then the mayor.  If you know any of the local councilmen you could try them as well.

I am running into a problem with this as well.  Washington Township told me 3 months, its been over 4 now.  Strange part is I have stopped by the police station a few times and NOBODY was there, not a single person in the building.  Nobody answered the phones either.  And since I'm moving away for school on Saturday there's not much left I can do except write letters.

I would tell you to stop by the station often and keep the pressure on.  And if that gets you nowhere ask the person doing the applications to put you in touch with the chief, that way they know what is about to happen.  If that doesn't solve anything start talking to people up the chain of command until you get it.  And as a last resort if that doesnt work, contact NJ2AS

Fingerprints were 2 weeks ago. I called the officer that handles the applications the next day. He did call back once and leave a message for me to call back. I have called twice since then (once a week) and I am unable to get any response.

What bugs me is that I have a 30 day time limit to make my application. It also bugs me that I have to go "Up the chain of command". To me that means I am going to be seen as a trouble maker and my application will meet even more resistance. Call me paranoid...

Fingerprints were 2 weeks ago.

What bugs me is that I have a 30 day time limit to make my application. .

Some people have had to wait over 8 months from time of app. 30 days no longer is recognized by most depts citing the necessity to perform a thorough check in the interest of public safety. Not that I agree with it, but welcome to nj. Weve been arguing this bs for years with no relief in sight

Sent from my SCH-I545

Fingerprints were 2 weeks ago. I called the officer that handles the applications the next day. He did call back once and leave a message for me to call back. I have called twice since then (once a week) and I am unable to get any response.

What bugs me is that I have a 30 day time limit to make my application. It also bugs me that I have to go "Up the chain of command". To me that means I am going to be seen as a trouble maker and my application will meet even more resistance. Call me paranoid...

See now that is exactly what worries me as well.  Coming from an IT Helpdesk background and dealing with people, where I work if you give us attitude you're not getting helped.  Your problem gets put last and might even be ignored completely, calling and asking for updates will only make it worse.  Granted we aren't doing anything that deals with laws so its a bit different.  But like I said I'm over the 4 month mark and I'm not planning on sending anything until it gets way out of hand.

In nj just applying for an fid makes them think your a trouble maker, in nj your guilty till proven innocent ...

Same here--my wife's took 137 days.  Submitted February 1 and at the time they told her they were backed up due to the volume of applications and to expect 3+ month wait.  The lady who I would speak with when I called about status was always pleasant and helpful--never had an attitude and always apologetic and explaining that they had so many applications to process.  So could not really get angry toward her, and did not see any point in going up the chain--if it had gone out to 6 months I would probably try to elevate to the next couple of tiers.

The backlogs have been clearing but the problems are clearly local in nature. In Montgomery I was told 3-4 months for my FID and it took just over that. That was because the detective went on vacation just after sending my file to the chief for sign off and the chief sent it back for clarification about one item. Friends in other towns have received theirs in under 30 days and that was in February / March.

For my new P2P, the county has not returned the mental health form as of last week. That's all that's missing currently. Then it will sit on the chief's desk for a few weeks...

See now that is exactly what worries me as well. Coming from an IT Helpdesk background and dealing with people, where I work if you give us attitude you're not getting helped. Your problem gets put last and might even be ignored completely, calling and asking for updates will only make it worse. Granted we aren't doing anything that deals with laws so its a bit different. But like I said I'm over the 4 month mark and I'm not planning on sending anything until it gets way out of hand.

Isn't karma a bitch?

See now that is exactly what worries me as well. Coming from an IT Helpdesk background and dealing with people, where I work if you give us attitude you're not getting helped. Your problem gets put last and might even be ignored completely, calling and asking for updates will only make it worse. Granted we aren't doing anything that deals with laws so its a bit different. But like I said I'm over the 4 month mark and I'm not planning on sending anything until it gets way out of hand.

I'll bet some of the folks getting ignored start cc'ing higher ups in the company on their e-mails to support staff, then their problems magically go to the top of your list. In a state where firearm ownership is intentionally made difficult, going up the chain is your only recourse. Police chief, then mayor, then assemblymen, etc. Document each interaction. You may need it for the threat of a lawsuit at some point. Play hardball.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

When I was fingerprinted which was done by a contractor, they took forever to respond back to the police department. I called the PD and they pinged the fingerprint contractor. It eventually came through, total 4 months of wait time. I move to a different town (Denville) and they seemed to have their process implemented well, and they are not anti-gun and are always polite and helpful. The change of address still took 3 months, and they told me that the state police were slow processing. That was last September.

When I was fingerprinted which was done by a contractor, they took forever to respond back to the police department. I called the PD and they pinged the fingerprint contractor. It eventually came through, total 4 months of wait time. I move to a different town (Denville) and they seemed to have their process implemented well, and they are not anti-gun and are always polite and helpful. The change of address still took 3 months, and they told me that the state police were slow processing. That was last September.

You were lied to by all the police depts