jerseygti337

Pistol course/instructor?

I'm finally swallowing my pride and looking for some help. I've been shooting pistols for about a year and a half and I still basically suck, always shoot left with not real tight groups from 15 yards and closer. Beyond thatI would be lucky to hit the target. I've read tons of info online and I don't seem to be improving at all. My groups at 7-10 yards would typically be 3-4" left in a 6" group. Can anyone recommend a class or instructor in south jersey to get me on the right track?

Dry-fire practice in a mirror works really well WITH AN UNLOADED GUN!  Learn where the sear disengages and keep the gun from moving as the sear "breaks" with the sights properly aligned at the point of ignition.  Sounds simple until you try to do it with an out-of-the-box striker-fired Plastic Fantastic.  Sometimes the easiest way to solve this problem is to buy a used Model 10 .38 revolver and go old school and learn on a single-action trigger when the gun will go bang.  For the cost of ONE class, you'll have another gun for your entire life.  Guns are different, like cars and refrigerators.  Not every gun is good for everyone.  Buying a gun for LOOKS or because someone else told you to do so is plain CRAZY!  So is buying one just for ammo capacity.

Bottom line--you buy the revolver, cock it back to single action, and at the distance you're working at, almost ALL of your shots will be where you want them.  Simple, really, lol!

Old School will teach you what you need to know.  And then you apply what you learned to every other gun you ever own........

Dave

Shootist

Compensating with a DA revolver and cocking it and shooting it in SA doesn't fix the problem. OP u understand what sight picture is with ur dads .38. Now apply trgger discipline and relax that grip with a moderate 5.5 lb trigger and ull be fine.

I should have added, with my dads colt 38 in single action I can do pretty good out to about 20 yards. My problem is with every semi auto I've shot (glocks, sigs, and a 1911)

Why do you think that is?  Have you developed a flinch?  Does the gun move just prior to the sear disengaging?  Is your wrist properly aligned to accept the recoil or is it turned slightly?   Does the LONG trigger pull on striker-fired guns confuse you and make you twist your wrist just when the sear disengages?  YOU'RE NOT ALONE!  

Nobody ever jumped on a 14 speed bike to learn how to stay on one.  They already KNEW.  Same goes for proper sight alignment at point of ignition.  Once the PRINCIPLE is learned you can apply it to any firearm with a mechanical trigger.  You just have to learn the mechanics of what's going on--from your feet UP!  Learning exactly how much pressure to apply in an even force with a steady squeeze while keeping the sights aligned at the point of ignition (provided the correct amount of support is coming from the weak hand).  The rest is merely repetition. Like dry-firing into a mirror until the gun don't move.......

How you walk down the path doesn't matter.  The fact that you made it down the path DOES!  Any way you want to fix the problem will work as long as it WORKS!

Have a great week.

Dave

If you're going to do dry-fire training, using a laser cartridge makes it a lot more fun and productive.  It will show you where you are hitting when you fire.  You could either pick up a cartridge in your caliber from Laserlyte; or you could go all out and get a SIRT trainer.  (You can search for them just as easily as I can).  The advantage of the former is that you can use it in your own gun, to become familiar with your own trigger.  The latter is more expensive, but it can be fired repeatedly without re-racking.  You will gain a lot more information about your skills from those than you would from live fire, and you can practice more frequently and save on the cost of ammo.

If all else fails, consider a private lesson from someone like Jimmy at Gun for Hire.

Dry, dry, dry.  Good advice.  

Use a spent casing to balance on top of your barrel, if you can, and practice only squeezing your trigger finger straight to the rear.  Don't try to over grip it or squeeze any other fingers.  

Once you do this a few (hundred) times start to practice at the range with a round at a time.  Build on that.  

Also if you have snap caps, you can throw them in with your regular rounds at the range (throw them all in your hand and dont look while loading)

When you get to the dummy round your gun won't fire and you will easily see if you are flinching or pulling the gun in a certain direction. 

Ill keep trying the dry firing but I just tried the brass on my front sight and it doesn't move. I have to jerk the trigger pretty hard to make it drop so I think my trigger control is ok. Getting the brass balanced and extending the pistol is the hard part but once I have a good sight picture the brass doesn't move. I'm thinking its more form related then anything but I don't know.