Sign in to follow this  
NicePants

So, about Bryan Miller and his organization...

I'd ask the mods not to move this to the politics section, if possible. This isn't here for the purpose of inciting political debate, just pointing out something about this crap that the community can get involved in cleaning up.

The IRS forbids tax exempt organizations from excessive lobbying, so how about we send in some complaints?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

That's the form for filing a complaint. I know the IRS sucks, but it can't hurt to try.

I'd ask the mods not to move this to the politics section, if possible. This isn't here for the purpose of inciting political debate, just pointing out something about this crap that the community can get involved in cleaning up.

The IRS forbids tax exempt organizations from excessive lobbying, so how about we send in some complaints?

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

That's the form for filing a complaint. I know the IRS sucks, but it can't hurt to try.

If they get enough complaints, they very well may act on it. 

Without getting into the politics of it, I'm just wondering how much lobbying can a tax exempt group do before it's too much to maintain its status? 

Obviously the group in question was involved in lobbying- as Bryan Miller has attended legislature hearings, and is frequently in the press associating with legislators pushing gun control. 

I think it is a good idea to leave this out of the politics section, as many of us non-supporters may be able to send in complaints, and the more the IRS receives, the better. 

501( c)(3) organizations are not allowed to participate in campaigning or lobbying activities but can promote whatever cause they want.

501( c)(4) organizations can participate in campaigning and lobbying.

I don't know what type of non profit ceasethinking NJ uses.

501( c)(3) organizations are not allowed to participate in campaigning or lobbying activities but can promote whatever cause they want.

501( c)(4) organizations can participate in campaigning and lobbying.

I don't know what type of non profit ceasethinking NJ uses.

Well there is CeasefireNJ and Heeding Gods Call- both of which Bryan Miller is some sort of "officer" of. 

Before we get too far into this, what is NJ2AS's status?  I know they are a non profit organization- but what classification?

I read that the Coalition for Peace Action group that describes they work hand in hand with CeaseFireNJ describes themselves  accordingly:

"Gun Violence Prevention:

Working closely with Ceasefire NJ and other groups, the Coalition has played a leading role in gun violence prevention efforts. In 1993, we helped defeat the NRA's effort to rescind New Jersey's Assault Weapon's ban, the first and strongest such ban in the nation. The next year the National Assault Weapons ban and the Brady Bill were passed by Congress. In 2000 the Coalition organized buses to go to the Million Mom March, supervised a Princeton University study on childproof handguns, and successfully lobbied the NJ Senate for passage of the Childproof Handgun bill."

"The Peace Action Education Fund (PAEF) has been granted 501 © (3) tax-exempt status by the IRS and conducts the educational work. Tax deductible contributions can be made to this entity."

Then in the very next section they go on to proclaim:

Lobbying:

Using petitions, letters, phone calls, and personal meetings, the Coalition lobbies New Jersey elected representatives to sponsor and support specific legislation to advance our goals. With its Urgent Action and Email Networks, over 1,000 households and key organizations are alerted when important legislation needs to be advocated to our representatives.

"

http://www.peacecoalition.org/about.html

Well there is CeasefireNJ and Heeding Gods Call- both of which Bryan Miller is some sort of "officer" of.

Before we get too far into this, what is NJ2AS's status? I know they are a non profit organization- but what classification?

Frank says NJ2AS is not a 501c3. I have no idea what it actually is.