Kimber45

Loose upper to lower

Hello all. Hope all had a great labor day. And better yet the kids are on there way back to school.....oh yeah. My question for you chaps is that I have a Vltor MUR upper mounted atop a spikes lower and I have a little play between the two. Now I know a little play between the two is allowable and has no reflection on how the rifle functions but I was just wondering. Most of the movement comes from the front pin area so putting in an accuwedge wouldn't really help. Or will it. Not a big fan of placing things inside the lower that could move around at the worst possible time....any thoughts gentleman .....thanks.

I am also bothered by any play in between the upper and lower, despite knowing it doesn't affect performance.  I went thru several upper/lower combo's before I found what fit best (in my opinion).  

I ended up with a Noveske upper/lower combo that were bought separately but fit like a glove, and a BCM upper/PWS lower that also fit perfectly together.  

Thanks all for your input...just thought by using a higher quality upper and lower I wouldn't have any play.....going to leave her alone. She's my first ground up build and I've got over 1000 rounds thru her. Not one malfunction and she's a tackdriver....again that's for all your responses ........

I use a small o-ring around the forward lug on the upper(where the pin passes through when its closed). Tightens things up and doesn't require force to close the upper and lower like the Accuwedge does

This.

Did this on my windham. It tightened her right up. A small o ring I think #5 or #6 on the front lug. A nickel fix well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Don't worry about the play and shoot away... Don't use the accuwedge

Best advice in the thread.

Thanks all for your input...just thought by using a higher quality upper and lower I wouldn't have any play.....going to leave her alone. She's my first ground up build and I've got over 1000 rounds thru her. Not one malfunction and she's a tackdriver....again that's for all your responses ........

Contrary to popular belief "Spikes" is not a "high quality" lower.

That being said, all of my ARs have some play between the upper and lower, including the 3 brand new Colt ARs I have been issued over the last 10 years. It is normal and nothing to concern yourself over.

I must be the lucky one here because with all my ARs I own or have owned, I've only had play in 1. I am glad cause I hate the play inbetween uppers and lowers I've seen on friends ARs.  I use an accuwedge with zero issues on one of my rifles.  Of course I make sure it's not pushing too much stress upward by 'shaving' a tad.  Play however, is common and has zero effect on the performance of the rifle