JSF01

Teaching a sibling to shoot

My mom getting on board is probably not going to happen, she just does not like firearms. While she does not have a problem with people owning firearms or shooting firearms, In fact she thought that bringing my sister to go to go shooting with me was a good idea, she just does not want them in the house.

I'll keep that in mind, though right now she is not ready to purchase a firearm. Right now I would say she is at the point that if she was given a firearm she would gladly accept, though on her own I don't see her going to the range by herself. I think though, that if I take her to the range a few more times she will be hooked enough that she would try to get her friends into shooting, in which case she would continue going to the range.

Though If you can find out the procedure to get firearms in RI so I can guide my sister if/when she reaches that point it would be greatly appreciated. 

i have an interesting dichotomy in my family..  my father is a very pro-gun person (he has several).  my oldest sister has gotten into shooting when she goes to visit him (she's in OH and he's in NY).. my mother is decidedly anti.. (note my parents arent together, my father is re-married to my step mother who started out as a "somewhat anti" but has come around)..  my other sister is pretty much anti, but her son (who is only 6) is being taught about guns by my father, much to my sisters chagrin..  and then there is me (obviously into guns).. 

is this so much of a split normal?  just curious

My mom getting on board is probably not going to happen, she just does not like firearms. While she does not have a problem with people owning firearms or shooting firearms, In fact she thought that bringing my sister to go to go shooting with me was a good idea, she just does not want them in the house.

I have a similar issue. My 14 y/o nephew wants to learn to shoot. In fact, his grandmother (my mom) bought him a .22 lever action rifle. Of course, she has to hold it until he turns 18. But his mother (my sister) won't even let it in the house. And, oddly enough, my sister is active NJ Natl. Guard and an O-6 (full Col.) to boot! She came home in 2004 from (then) FOB Speicher with a Bronze Star.

The problem is this. My nephew is a master mind when it comes to  "combat like" computer games (Call of Duty, etc. etc.). He spends much of his free time glued to that screen. Of course he does his homework (a freshman in HS) and band, sports, and all the rest. But any free time left is spent on that computer.

He is, by nature, rather quiet and "internal." Still, he does have his HS and neighborhood friends, and his other activities, and he certainly interacts well with me, whenever I visit. I hear tell his freshman grades are all very good.  He has an older sister who does pick on him a lot (as older siblings tend to do). But she (older sister) will be off to college this coming Sept.

While he steadfastly denies it, and we've seen no evidence otherwise, we're all a little concerned (and my sister in particular) that there might be a bit of an "obsession" here. So, for now, I guess my sister's primary tactic is to deny him "access."  My mom (his grandmother) bought him the .22 rifle in order to help him learn how to be responsible with "real" firearms (she has that and a Walther PK .22 and appropriate FID and docs, etc.). My mom (who just turned 80) has asked me to be his "weapons mentor."  I have agreed to do so, but even I want to ensure that his attitude is in the right place, before we begin that journey. In order to go to a place like HG (which I understand is possible at under 18 if he's accompanied by a parent or adult guardian), either his  mom or dad will have to go there the 1st time and sign all the consent forms (and designate me as an agent). Then I can bring him whenever I want. But the problem will be getting his parents to "consent." I've talked with my nephew, and told him to "use this time wisely," and show me (and the others) that he has the maturity and attitude to handle them. Maybe after his sister goes off to college...

Anyway, that's my story.  Thoughts?

To me it sounds like you are worried about nothing when it comes to your nephew. Playing video games is a completely normal hobby in todays day of age, and usually people tend to settle into mainly playing just one or two genres. He sounds like he is quite well rounded and unless his gaming starts to affect his entire life (ie. stops sports, grades slip, loses friends, stops band) there is nothing to worry about.

I would also not worry about his playing of modern shooters possibly affecting how he handles real life weapons. While it is possible that an immature person who's only experience with firearms come from video games may handle a firearm inappropriately if they pick up a firearms on their own (If they are mature there have been plenty of people that have safely introduced themselves to firearms  with the only prior experience with them being lots of video games.) The fact that you will be there pretty much will instantly correct/prevent any firearm practices form taking root.

As to getting your sister on board that his video game usage is normal in todays day of age, and that learning to use firearms safely is a great way to develop maturity. Other wise maybe try to find one place to take him once that that does not need the signature to be that of an actual parent or guardian for the first time, this way after words you can explain to your sister that he did fine with handling a firearm, and hopefully afterwards she would be more willing to go with you to allow him to use that closer range.  

To the OP (oringinal poster) -Congrats on taking your sister shooting. If you can, introduce her to a nice Ruger or Smith revolver. 4 inch barrels have a nice balance for newbies. Firing 38s through nice sized revolver is less recoil than 9 but more than 22. Also if she should ever think about purchasing her own revolvers are the simplest to understand, operate and clean.

To the person with the nephew.....most boys/young men are fastinated by firearms...as are many older men! As others have said though, from what you described he sounds well rounded and social. When I was younger EVERYTHING was a gun or a sword....sticks, brooms, cardboard tube of gift wrapping paper, etc,etc!

My father has a S&W .357 though he was out of ammo for it and did not bring it to the range with us(he went with my sister and I). He use to be an avid shooter before us kids were born and he gave it up due to costs. He last went shooting on his own about 20 years ago. He still enjoys shooting, though because my mom does not like firearms he has not really picked it back up since us kids have left the house. He did ask me to pick up some ammo for him though and since my sister really enjoyed shooting, I think we may do a family shoot around Christmas. He may wind up getting back into shooting.