BlueLineFish

Mountain Bike Trails in North Jersey

I have also just gotten back on the Mtn bike.... I am in Morris County....

Just did a nice trail on Saturday...

http://www.traillink.com/trail/columbia-trail.aspx

Columbia Trail off Rt 206

Flat ... long.... easy

Did a 10mile round trip..... didnt even cover half of it

Looks like I am doing West Morris Greenway trail tomorrow morning...

http://gonehikin.blogspot.com/2013/04/west-morris-greenway-nj-black-river.html

I live in the same area,  I ride the following places

Six Mile run.  flat and very twisty.  one of my favorite places to ride

Chimney Rock Park.  Some hills, decent trails

Lewis Morris park. decent trails,

Cheesequake is suppose to be fairly basic, I haven't ridden there

Hartshorne in highland is pretty decent to, semi technical climbs and decents in some place

A bit out of your way but there is a 14 mile loop trail around Round Valley Reservoir in Lebanon. It is not a beginner trail. quite a few hills to go up with some nice fast down hill sections and is very  rocky. Also if you go after it rains it can get muddy. 

Hartshorne is top notch and you can extend the ride to Huber Woods, down the road, for more distance.

Six mile run is also great and the Twisties section is a blast. Some sections traversing the top of a steep grade have some treacherous roots waiting to catch you slacking on pedal position.

If you're looking for North of 78, actually straddling 80, you want Stevens/Allamuchy. It's much hillier that either Hartshorne and Six Mile Run, but definitely a satisfying ride.

There are a whole lot of trails in ringwood state park!

Ringwood is an awesome place to ride, but it's definitely not for someone just getting back into riding.  6 Mile park and the Delaware River Canal right next to it is a good place to start.  6 Mile park is generally flatter land with some hills.  Places in north jersey such as Ramapo, Ringwood, Jungle Habitat, or Stokes are mountainous and will surely test your fitness levels, but are awesome places to ride.

http://www.dandrcanal.com/interest.html

You can park at 6 Mile Canal Road Parking lot and ride both places.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.