NJGF

Can I travel by car to 2 ranges in 1 trip

This might sound strange (but everything about NJ gun laws is strange) so here goes:

Can I travel from my home in NJ with a firearm to the first range, then drive to the second range, and finally drive home. Both ranges are in NJ.

I would hate to think that I have to first drive home and then back to the second range as the trip between the ranges is much quicker than my trips home.

It seems from what I have read that I can only drive between my home and range and back and that there doesn't appear to be an exemption for driving between two ranges?

I would have proof that I was at the first range, sign in, etc... and I would make sure it was a direct line to the second.   In the Krispy Creme State, the burden of proof would be on you.  Guilty unless proven innocent with a jury of statist twinkies and sheeple, and enough unconstitutional laws to enforce on the people  to keep the attorneys' kids in pizza for a few years.

Let's look at the law.  Here is the exemption that would allow it:

--

(b)  Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

--

Interestingly, it doesn't say what the other origin or destination is (it doesn't say, for instance, "from home to the range").  Thus it would seem that you could go from any place you can legally possess, to the range, and from the range to anywhere you can legally possess.

So you can legally possess at Range No. 1 (which it would seem you can), therefore it would seem you can go "directly to" Range No. 2 from Range No. 1.  Interesting.

HOWEVER, if you have hollow point bullets, you might be in trouble if you bring them back from Range No. 2, because the law only exempts hollow point possession when going TO the range (presumably you are supposed to shoot them all) and doesn't exempt when you return FROM the range.

From NJSP site:

--

N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:

(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [
N.J.S.A
26:39-3g (2)].

Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to
N.J.S.A
2C:39-6f. . . ."

N.J.S.A
26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1.A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
2.A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
3.A person going directly to a target range, and;
4.A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

--

Moral of the story:  Keep Evan Nappen's phone number on you.