Norseman

Out of state purchase

This MUST have been posted here before but I'm not seeing anything. Here's my question:

If I'm in a state that will sell you a handgun as long as you have a drivers license and the FFL check comes back clean, can I buy the handgun and drive back to Jersey?

I'm sure this can't be legal, so how would you go about doing that in a state that doesn't issue purchase permits and if I've already used my purchase permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

You can purchase a Handgun in any state in the US, but it must be shipped back to

an FFL in your home state and they would do the transfer into your name and 

execute the permit.

You cannot take possession of the gun outside of your home state!

To enter NJ the handgun must be shipped to a NJ FFL first then they transfer to you with your P2p.

I believe an exception to this is if you don't bring or intend to bring the handgun into NJ.

For instance if you own a hunting cabin in a state were you only need a DL to purchase I believe you can purchase and keep the gun at the cabin in that state.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Too much half baked info here.

To the OP, do you live in NJ, some other state, or part time in NJ and part time in another state. You can only take possession of a handgun from anyone in the state you reside and must follow that states rules on handgun transfer. Having a hunting cabin you use for a few weeks a year is not a second home. There are no exceptions except for LE purchasing a firearm for work.

If you happen to have a valid drivers license from a state you no longer live in and you buy a handgun there you are already commiting a felony.

You need to give specifics because the law has pages and pages of what ifs.

You can purchase a Handgun in any state in the US, but it must be shipped back to

an FFL in your home state and they would do the transfer into your name and

execute the permit.

You cannot take possession of the gun outside of your home state!

Thanks everyone. This about sums it up for me I guess.

Well I grew up around long guns ...I've shot revolvers before but I'm still kind of new to the sport of handguns and I'm just trying not to step out of line and give somebody a reason to bother me ya know? I was just curious and you guys gave me the correct (whether or not "just" is another topic) answers and I appreciate it.

I wanna try!

Lets say "Bob" is a resident of PA.  One day, Bob is bored and decides to go shopping for a handgun.

Bob buys a Ruger SP 101.  He takes it home and looks at it for a few days, feels good, then places it in his gun safe.

A week later, Bob moves to NJ.  Why?  Well, because Bob is a jerk. 

Bob is allowed to take his guns to NJ with him so long as the guns are NJ compliant, even without a NJ FID card.

I THINK. 

I wanna try!

Lets say "Bob" is a resident of PA.  One day, Bob is bored and decides to go shopping for a handgun.

Bob buys a Ruger SP 101.  He takes it home and looks at it for a few days, feels good, then places it in his gun safe.

Bob is allowed to take his guns to NJ with him so long as the guns are NJ compliant, even without a NJ FID card.

I THINK. 

I also think that would be ok, but I know "Bob" would not be able to buy ammo, in NJ, for that handgun, without his FPID card.  Would he still be able to go to PA, and buy handgun ammo there, with his NJ DL and no NJ FPID?

I also think that would be ok, but I know "Bob" would not be able to buy ammo, in NJ, for that handgun, without his FPID card.  Would he still be able to go to PA, and buy handgun ammo there, with his NJ DL and no NJ FPID?

There are not many states requiring ID to buy ammo. PA is not one of them.

There are a,lot of states Bob could buy ammo.

There are not many states requiring ID to buy ammo. PA is not one of them.

There are a,lot of states Bob could buy ammo.

Oh... I thought, at least with handgun ammo, that many states required at least a drivers license; and that if your DL was "out-of-state" (especially NJ, NY, CA), they would either refuse the sale or make you jump through all kinds of hoops. I guess I am mistaken. Maybe I'm thinking of internet/mail order purchases?

Most states,where I've bought ammo the only question I had at checkout is "is that all".

Since the requirement of having a FID for handgun ammo came into existence internet/mail order places treat you 3 ways:

1. Will noe sell to NJ address at all.

2. Want your FID on file.

3. Will sell you what you want without anything on file.

I wanna try!

I THINK. 

That will work, but how you prove your residency is another matter.

If you want a NJ driver license, you will need to provide proof of address. Usually that means something like a bank statement mailed to your home address or a copy of the deed or apartment lease. I believe the same requirements apply for PA. 

So yeah you can "beat" the system but you will jump through hoops to do so. Also, you might get arrested like Brian Aitken and the judge can decide whether or not you broke the law. 

Oh... I thought, at least with handgun ammo, that many states required at least a drivers license; and that if your DL was "out-of-state" (especially NJ, NY, CA), they would either refuse the sale or make you jump through all kinds of hoops. I guess I am mistaken. Maybe I'm thinking of internet/mail order purchases?

I can say say that while in all the dicks I've been to in Delaware require id and if a nj do than fid is required both at lodge and at register for any ammo..pistol or rifle... as well as having to answer "are you a us citizen?" On the touchpad..... But never at any walmart or gun stores