I just picked up 2 new gun permits.

Now my father in law who passed away a while ago has a nice collection of long and short firearms in TX.

What's the best way to get them here to NJ.

Do I need to register them through a ffl?

Do I need some papers from previous owner(not gonna be easy?.

Can I just get them here then figure it out?

Looking for ideas.

Thnx in advance

Raul

NNJ

You can pick up the long guns through an FFL in Texas. Make sure they are Jersey compliant though. Handguns must be shipped to NJ FFL and transferred using permits. One gun a month applies. Consider getting a waiver if more than two pistols.

I just picked up 2 new gun permits.

Now my father in law who passed away a while ago has a nice collection of long and short firearms in TX.

What's the best way to get them here to NJ.

Do I need to register them through a ffl?

Do I need some papers from previous owner(not gonna be easy?.

Can I just get them here then figure it out?

Looking for ideas.

Thnx in advance

Raul

NNJ

If the guns were left to you in your father-in-law's Will you do NOT need to transfer them. 

If the guns are being given to you as a gift, then you need to transfer them just like a sale. 

Assuming this is a gift, everything must go through a FFL because it is an interstate transfer. 

No need for permits for long guns.  You can take possession of all of them in one transaction, assuming you already have a FPID. 

You will need a permit for each hand gun.  You will also need to apply for an exception to the one-gun-a-month law.

Why couldn't you also ship the long guns to an FFL here in NJ and take them all in one transfer?  Only need an FID card and no OGAM -- can transfer them all at once.

Haha. The FFL will charge their fee for each gun. It's never been my experience for them to say, "You're such a nice guy, I'll only charge you for one transfer."

The average around here seems to be about $50. Times "nice collection" = 10 total? = $500. Plus shipping, $30 each on average, $300.

$800 to take possession of an inheritance that should be a private matter. Ouch.

You have an FID card. Why not simply bring the rifles home in your trunk and ship the handguns to your FFL?

Or...if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Haha. The FFL will charge their fee for each gun. It's never been my experience for them to say, "You're such a nice guy, I'll only charge you for one transfer."

The average around here seems to be about $50. Times "nice collection" = 10 total? = $500. Plus shipping, $30 each on average, $300.

$800 to take possession of an inheritance that should be a private matter. Ouch.

You have an FID card. Why not simply bring the rifles home in your trunk and ship the handguns to your FFL?

Or...if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

I wouldn't charge him that much.......

OP,    PM sent

Am I missing something? I can pick up a long gun in PA without going through a NJ FFL. Why can't he just put the guns in his trunk and drive home?

Oops, I just noticed. He was in Tx, you're in NJ. Sorry about that.

If it were me, I would pick them up..........After being a texas resident for 90 days, then "move back" to my old address in NJ.  Thats just the Newark in me talking. Pay me no mind.

Amen, brother.

With the state our government is currently in Uncle Sam probably has bigger things to worry about that paperwork for this transaction. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php/topic/24542-inheritance-laws/

2C:58-j

Firearms passing to heirs or legatees.

Notwithstanding any other provision of this section concerning the transfer, receipt or acquisition of a firearm, a permit to purchase or a firearms purchaser identification card shall not be required for the passing of a firearm upon the death of an owner thereof to his heir or legatee, whether the same be by testamentary bequest or by the laws of intestacy. The person who shall so receive, or acquire said firearm shall, however, be subject to all other provisions of this chapter. If the heir or legatee of such firearm does not qualify to possess or carry it, he may retain ownership of the firearm for the purpose of sale for a period not exceeding 180 days, or for such further limited period as may be approved by the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the heir or legatee resides or the superintendent, provided that such firearm is in the custody of the chief law enforcement officer of the municipality or the superintendent during such period.