ignatz

From long gun to handgun

I got my FPID  a while ago with the intention of purchasing a long gun. But I've had the need to rethink that purchase and now I plan to use my gun funds to purchase a handgun instead.

But I didn't apply to get a handgun previously so I don't have the necessary paperwork for that now. Yes it was poor planning on my part at the time, but even so it would have expired at this point anyway (my FPID is about 6 months old).

So I'm wondering what I now need to do so that I can get the paperwork to buy a handgun. Someone had told me that I need to reapply the same way I did in order to get my FPID but that doesn't sound right. But then again I don't understand how this state operates (I moved here from Florida and I was shocked at how restrictive the gun laws are here).

So can anyone steer me in the right direction for navigating this handgun purchase? Thanks.

The application for the FID & Handguns is the same form (STS-033)

You will need to fill out another form and this time check off the 

Handgun permit box and note how many permits you want.

Then the clock starts all over again. 

You are filling out the same form, but not re-applying for the FID, just the HGP's

Wow. That does sound illogical. But ok. You can't fight the rules so I guess it's back to the submitting and waiting process again. 

I was really hoping that what I heard was incorrect, but I guess not.

Thank you for confirming the process, as crazy as it seems.

The above posts are correct - same process, but with the exception of fingerprints. Instead you need to fill out an SBI-212A Non-criminal Background Check. Your PD will give you the form - in which case you turn it in with the rest of your paperwork and a MO for $18 made out to NJSP/SBI Division. Or, the PD may give you a URL where it can be done electronically and paid for with a CC - $20 if that's the case. I think that is being rolled out first by the NJSP when someone applies directly with them. My last permits (about 5 weeks old) my PD was still using paper.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Yep, have to complete all the paperwork again incuding the personal references.....stinks (and I agree that it ns pretty absurd) but those are the rules. Maybe ask if they can do a phone interview for your referals or maybe just use the ones on file? Can't hurt to ask. Good luck.

What are you thinking about purchasing for a handgun?

Indeed, sucks to be us in NJ.  As Pizza Bob notes, you get to skip the fingerprinting this time around, but everything else is the same.

I'm sure the complicated application process serves its intended purpose of discouraging some people from obtaining firearms.

Indeed, sucks to be us in NJ.  As Pizza Bob notes, you get to skip the fingerprinting this time around, but everything else is the same.

I'm sure the complicated application process serves its intended purpose of discouraging some people from obtaining firearms.

Indeed it truly does suck.

And sadly it probably does discouage some people. Although this has been a lesson learned for me - plus doubley expensive for no logically good reason at all.

I'll spare any further feelings about this state out of my respect for the people here who obviously value their Consitutioal Rights. But wow. This state feels more punitive than it feels like America.

(sorry. Just frustrated. Some of that falls on me I guess, so ok, I'll roll with it)

Indeed it truly does suck.

And sadly it probably does discouage some people. Although this has been a lesson learned for me - plus doubley expensive for no logically good reason at all.

I'll spare any further feelings about this state out of my respect for the people here who obviously value their Consitutioal Rights. But wow. This state feels more punitive than it feels like America.

(sorry. Just frustrated. Some of that falls on me I guess, so ok, I'll roll with it)

Welcome to the Glorious People's Republik of New Jerseystan.

America starts on the other side of the Delaware River.

3 permits in 90 days is very doable.

Say you get them 11/1. They're good until 1/29. Even adding an extra week per 30 days, you'll be well within 90 days.

You could make the first purchase 11/7, second 12/14 and third 1/21 and still be 8 days shy of expiration.

My mistake was in thinking that I'd get a long gun. But it appears that there isn't really anyplace close enough to shoot long guns around here. Therefore I wouldn't really be using it like I thought that I would.

And that's why I now want to get a handgun. I can shoot that semi-locally, so I'd rather shoot that than to shoot a long gun on a short range. Especially since shooting a long gun on a short range would require a long drive for me.

So my issue isn't that I want to buy multiple guns, it's that I have to apply twice and pay twice in order to now buy a handgun.

Yes, that was my mistake. But who would have logically thought that it would be necessary to reapply for something multiple times. It's like having to reapply for a driver's license every time you want to buy a different car. It defies logic.

Anyway the situation is what it is. So I'll chalk it up to not being aware of the gun laws here.

But no, multiple gun purchases is not the issue for me. Unless you guys want to take up a collection so that I can buy 3!

Apply for two anyway..you never know when a nice used one may pop up. Plus if your department extends, and they should, you have an additional 90 days for a total of 180 from the original issue date.