Sign in to follow this  
carl_g

Pinning a stock, roll pin

A 3/32 drill bit and 3/32 by 5/8L or 3/4L roll pin depending on location. P/U pin at local hardware that stocks parts in those segregated box displays. Usually pennies each. Never epoxied one yet.  A quick search on this site will show previous posts for different stock pinning locations. Can be blind or through your choice, as long as it don't move.

I have yet to do it, but I was going to follow this video to pin my CTR:

It uses the slots under the friction lock to 'hide' the pin.

He used a 1/16" x 0.5" roll pin.

Note:  One thing I don't understand from the video is he marked and drilled both sides of his buffer tube (rail) but only put in one pin through the CTR.

I have yet to do it, but I was going to follow this video to pin my CTR:

It uses the slots under the friction lock to 'hide' the pin.

He used a 1/16" x 0.5" roll pin.

Note:  One thing I don't understand from the video is he marked and drilled both sides of his buffer tube (rail) but only put in one pin through the CTR.

although that video might be ok, don't take anything else he has seriously. He has videos of him "blocking" a 30rd pmag on his back porch (in NJ) by just inserting a block and putting the end plate back on, no pinning or anything.

What I did on mine was take a thin nail like you would use to hang a picture frame with and used that as a pin. I drilled the stock and tube rail just bigger than the nail, cut the nail so it was flush with the hole, coated the nail in jb weld, put it in, epoxied over the hole, then painted the expoy black. Then I repeated on the other side.

although that video might be ok, don't take anything else he has seriously. He has videos of him "blocking" a 30rd pmag on his back porch (in NJ) by just inserting a block and putting the end plate back on, no pinning or anything.

Yeah, I noticed that. :onthequiet:

So a side question on pinning stocks:  What's the best way to determine what setting to pin the stock at?  The ideal way would be to shoot the complete rifle at different settings and determine what fits/feels best but I'm pretty sure that's verboten.   Right now I only have the Upper done.. can I make a good choice based on shoulder/cheek/pistol grip distance or should I wait until I get the upper and sights?

While I dont encourage people to break the law, if it were me, i would go down in my basement and mess with the stock position on the assembled rifle until you find the position comfortable, then pin it. You can get an idea of what the sight picture will look like for the rear sight which will be the important one since it should sit on the the most rear of the rifle. Any optic you put on top, you will be able to move it around to get the best fit for you

Oh the stories I could tell about the things people have called me about regarding making their own 15rd PMAGs...