Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Lets talk bases and rails

So, after the 783 purchase, I need to get a mount, scope rings and scope. I already have the scope picked out, so thats not a problem. What I can't decide on now is what base to go with. 

One option that was suggested was to get the integrated scope rings and rail from Remington for the 783. Its a nice option, but I'd like to see what else I can go with before I pull the trigger on them (and I like to buy all my pieces from the same place to save on shipping and waiting). 

So what rail options are there? I measured the mounting holes on the receiver at .750 for the front, and 7.455 on the back with an over all length of 4.825 inches. 

http://www.shopremingtoncountry.com/Model-Integral-Scope-Mounts-Medium/dp/B00AU6GSHS?class=quickView&field_availability=-1&field_browse=3062887011&field_keywords=783&id=Model+Integral+Scope+Mounts+Medium&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=subjectbin%2Cprice%2Csize_name%2Cgeneric_text_4-bin%2Cgeneric_text_3-bin%2Cgeneric_text_10-bin%2Ccolor_map%2Cgeneric_text_2-bin%2Cgeneric_number_1%2Cgeneric_number_2&searchKeywords=783&searchNodeID=3062887011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

Those are the integrated rings. But what else is there besides those? I'm all open to suggestions. 

I'm not sure that there is a rail option for that rifle yet. In the brief amount of research that I have done on the 783, the receiver is not stepped and Remington says that you are to use two front bases for a Remington 700.

I prefer a full Picatinny rail as it adds strength to the receiver and also gives you more mounting position flexibility. The 783 has a tubular receiver (from what I can tell from the pictures) so strength and rigidity are not as much an issue as on some rifles. I do prefer separate bases and rings so that I have flexibility in scope mounting height. Always best to have the centerline of the scope as close to the centerline of the bore as possible. This will be affected by objective outside diameter and scope ring height. My current favorite for rings are the offerings from TPS - reasonably priced but precision made. Guaranteed to within .0002" concentricity, which precludes the need to lap the rings. They make them in steel or aluminum and in various heights and for either Picatinny or Weaver base mounting.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob