Sign in to follow this  
tony357

CALIFORNIA APPROVES SALE OF SMART GUN / Modern Arms

I'm not saying the government won't try anything, but there are some things to keep in mind.

1) The method of "magic piece of jewelry" existed when this legislation was passed. RFID systems were offered up for sale after the legislation was passed, and while we were under more hostile administrations. This is not the first. It's probably around the sixth.

2) heller and McDonald did not previously exist.

3) to date the njit gun has not passed muster for functionality, and it lands much closer to usable than this thing.

If it is deemed a smart gun, great. Being it on. It is not suitable for home defense, and there is a buttload of precedence at this point for there being a right to defense within the home. It would also ban tons of firearms in common use for well over 100 years.

In order to keep them, you have to be able to acquire them.

Even under half assed rational basis, I can't see the compelling argument to be made.

I agree, but having the law already on the books is like living under the sword of Damocles. There is very little in the way of definitive criteria - just that it be available for public sale. I see that Armatrix has announced pricing (ridiculous in the scheme of things), but that means that if/when it actually becomes available we are at the mercy of the state AG.

Yes, I realize that it would most likely be overturned in the courts, but how long will that take and will handgun sales be suspended in the interim? I would rather it not come to that.

I remember a modification made to the leaf-type mainspring on a revolver, that required the user to wear a magnetic ring for the gun to function - this was in the 60's, long before any of the technology of today was available. This will happen eventually and we should be aiming to rescind the legislation, not just burying our heads in the sand saying it will never happen.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Let's hope that this dies a natural, capitalistic death. Who'd buy one of these? Here's wishing bankruptcy on the manufacturer. If this doesn't die, it could spell the beginning of the end of "dumb" guns in NJ.

As an aside - Armatix took this technology to Anschutz, who built a prototype gun. It was all over the Internet about three years ago. I, for one, wrote a strongly worded letter to Anschutz - never got a response. OTOH, never heard anymore about it. Looks like Armarix had to go it alone.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Capitalism or more desirably, the free market, wont factor in to the sale of this menace.

The mandate State will ensure its survival.

I can only hope that I am no longer a legal resident of NJ by the time it makes its way here.  Tired of fighting against common stupidity rules, laws and regulations.

Slowly but surely, NJ.gov will drive out those residents who are actually able to finance this joke of a state.

Wont be much longer before they legislate NJ right into bankruptcy.

I agree, but having the law already on the books is like living under the sword of Damocles. There is very little in the way of definitive criteria - just that it be available for public sale. I see that Armatrix has announced pricing (ridiculous in the scheme of things), but that means that if/when it actually becomes available we are at the mercy of the state AG.

Yes, I realize that it would most likely be overturned in the courts, but how long will that take and will handgun sales be suspended in the interim? I would rather it not come to that.

I remember a modification made to the leaf-type mainspring on a revolver, that required the user to wear a magnetic ring for the gun to function - this was in the 60's, long before any of the technology of today was available. This will happen eventually and we should be aiming to rescind the legislation, not just burying our heads in the sand saying it will never happen.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You tell me how to get a law undone in NJ. IMO the best result is to have the law activated with a polished turd like this while federal case law is on our side and there is no center fire variant.

Getting spanked by the courts is about the only path in nj.

NJ Assembly Vote, 2002-11-18, S573[/b] Yay: Ahearn, Matt Barnes, Peter J. Blee, Francis J. Caraballo, Wilfredo Chivukula, Upendra J. Conaway, Herb Conners, Jack Cruz-Perez, Nilsa Cryan, Joseph Diegnan, Patrick J. Doria, Joseph V. Eagler, Peter C. Edwards, Willis Egan, Joseph V. Fraguela, Rafael J. Friscia, Arline M. Green, Jerry Greenstein, Linda R. Greenwald, Louis D. Guear, Gary L. Gusciora, Reed Hackett, Mims Heck, Rose Marie Holzapfel, James W. Impreveduto, Anthony Johnson, Gordon M. Kean, Sean T. Kean, Thomas H. McKeon, John F. Munoz, Eric O'Toole, Kevin J. Payne, William D. Perez-Cinciarelli, Elba Pou, Nellie Previte, Mary T. Quigley, Joan M. Roberts, Joseph J. Russo, David C. Sarlo, Paul A. Sires, Albio Stanley, Craig A. Steele, Alfred E. Tucker, Donald Vandervalk, Charlotte Watson Coleman, Bonnie Weinberg, Loretta Nay: Asselta, Nicholas Bateman, Christopher Biondi, Peter J. Carroll, Michael Patrick D'Amato, Paul R. DeCroce, Alex Doherty, Michael J. Gregg, Guy R. Merkt, Richard A. Myers, Connie Pennacchio, Joseph Abstain: Arnone, Michael J. Azzolina, Joseph Bodine, Francis L. Burzichelli, John J. Chatzidakis, Larry Cohen, Neil M. Connors, Christopher J. Corodemus, Steve Dancer, Ronald S. DiGaetano, Paul Farragher, Clare M. Fisher, Douglas H. Geist, George F. Malone, Joseph R. Moran, Jeffrey W. Rooney, John E. Smith, Robert J. Stender, Linda Van Drew, Jeff Wolfe, David W. No-vote: Garrett, E. Scott Thompson, Samuel D. Wisniewski, John S. NJ Senate Vote, 2002-12-16, S573 Yay: Adler, John H. Allen, Diane B. Baer, Byron M. Bagger, Richard H. Bennett, John O. Bryant, Wayne R. Buono, Barbara Charles, Joseph Ciesla, Andrew R. Codey, Richard J. Coniglio, Joseph Furnari, Garry J. Gill, Nia H. Girgenti, John A. Gormley, William L. Inverso, Peter A. James, Sharpe Kenny, Bernard F. Kyrillos, Joseph M. Lesniak, Raymond J. McNamara, Henry P. Palaia, Joseph A. Rice, Ronald L. Sacco, Nicholas J. Singer, Robert W. Smith, Bob Suliga, Joseph Turner, Shirley K. Vitale, Joseph F. Nay: Bucco, Anthony R. Cardinale, Gerald Kavanaugh, Walter J. Lance, Leonard Littell, Robert E. No-vote: Bark, Martha W. Cafiero, James S. Connors, Leonard T. Martin, Robert J. Matheussen, John J. Sweeney, Stephen M. 2002-12-20 Approved P.L.2002, c.130.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

What court would that be? Our liberal state supreme court? How about the US supreme court after Obama and probably Hillary fill it with gun hating liberals.  You can't count on the courts to reverse any of the stupidity of NJ.

This might be the most ridiculous (literally ridiculous, as in deserving ridicule and derision) gun law ever passed in the state of NJ - banning all guns except those that match a very poorly-defined "standard" using some vague idea of technology that doesn't exist.

(Mods: I'm sorry if you are offended by what I am about to say, but if you are then please just delete this post rather than moving it to the litterbox - there's plenty of good discussion here that I'm not trying to ruin.)

All the above said: This is a law that should inspire civil disobedience.

I lived my whole (admittedly short) life in NJ, but now I have tasted freedom in South Florida. It is sweet, it is delicious, and it is priceless.

I'm so sick and tired of the New Jersey gov's attitude that its poop doesn't stink because it's a jerk to law-abiding gun owners. I still have a legal residence in NJ so I'm still in the political fight, and I'm telling you: this legislative crap has to change.

Jon and I met one of the women who helped propose this law when we attended the statehouse Assembly vote for the February wave of gun control bills, and she was so proud of herself for having gotten this one the books. We tried reasoning with her and I got her to admit that mags over 10 rounds should grandfathered, but that's the best we could do while still remaining civil.

I can't even....

Like most laws in NJ, law enforcement is specifically exempt from being required to have "smart" guns.

The statute states certain LEO exempt "for official use".  Wonder if that means their off duty weapons must be 'smart?'

2C:58-2.5  Sale of personalized handguns, inapplicability. - 

4. b.The provisions of this section shall not apply to handguns to be sold, transferred, assigned and delivered for official use to:  (1) State and local law enforcement officers of this State; (2) federal law enforcement officers and any other federal officers and employees required to carry firearms in the performance of their official duties and (3) members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard. 

The statute states certain LEO exempt "for official use".  Wonder if that means their off duty weapons must be 'smart?'

It would imply that stuff not purchased with the required paperwork from the department would not be exempt assuming it follows current "official use" exemption practices. 

I'm thinking it's not the people who favor these "smart" guns that are the ones who'd actually want/appreciate a shot at that 10-point monster! :)

Just google the Remington etronix.  You will see clearly how much the fudds like electronics in guns!  The shame is it was actually was a decent design.  lock time could be measured in milliseconds.

Ken