Bully

Another "What Progressive Press" Thread...

So, I've been doing a bit more research. I believe that I'll be going with a 550 sometime early in the new year. Reason: control. I like the fact that everything is manual. Sounds odd to many, I'm sure, but it comforts me that that's the case. I like the fact that I oversee every operation and can easily stop in the middle and rectify something if need be.

Now the question is where to order it? I know Brian Enos site has great prices but if anyone on here knows of a Jersey boy selling at a competitive price let me know. I prefer buying local even if it's a few dollars more. I won't stand to be ripped off, but a couple of bucks I can swallow.

Old School, get ready... I'm coming to check it out.

C

So, I've been doing a bit more research. I believe that I'll be going with a 550 sometime early in the new year. Reason: control. I like the fact that everything is manual. Sounds odd to many, I'm sure, but it comforts me that that's the case. I like the fact that I oversee every operation and can easily stop in the middle and rectify something if need be.

Now the question is where to order it? I know Brian Enos site has great prices but if anyone on here knows of a Jersey boy selling at a competitive price let me know. I prefer buying local even if it's a few dollars more. I won't stand to be ripped off, but a couple of bucks I can swallow.

C

Not for nothing, you can do everything you just stated on a 650. You just don't have to work as hard to do the same exact process.

C

Contact Vinny at Hunting World in Millstone. 10% off Dillon's prices and 50% off shipping. [email protected]

The 550 is a nice machine but, the 650 with the case feeder makes short work of reloading sessions.

C

Go see the 550 with Old school --  Then call me --  I set up the 650 right next to the Hornady LNL this week -- You can come see both of them together

It's a toss up which one is better -- You can feel primers seat on the 650 but it still sucks to prime on a press -- thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it

The 650 does have a whole lot more parts, a smaller work area, and just seems more complicated to get to the same place

I do like the  half step rotation of the Hornady better then the full rotation of the dillon -- If and when something goes wrong, your in a half position on the hornday and it's easier to rectify

I also like that the completed, finished rounds eject from the shellplate in front of you on the hornady -- on the dillon they eject on the opposite side of the press from where you are sitting 

On the dillon, if you don't catch it as soon as the problem occurs, you've completed a full rotation and ejected a case on the other side --  why does this matter -- I'll explain what happened to me

I was running the dillon, when out of nowhere, a new primer dropped into the un-used primer tray -- this means I missed seating a primer -- Ok no big deal -- totally operator error

So I put the press to it's rest position, and the shellplate rotates, as it's supposed to -- and out drops a partially completed round on the far side of the press, no chance of me seeing which one it is

So I pull all those brass pins to remove the cases from each station and set them back 1 place when I realize I now have an un-crimped round in my bin of finished rounds --  

Can't find it,  until I take the chamber checker out and cycle all the finsihed rounds through it -- and there was 90 plus in there -- PIA

Anyway,  Just my initial thoughts --  I've only got 100 rounds thru the dillon --  I've got 2 or 3 thousand thru the Hornady

Hey Jer.

Thanks for the update and offer.  I will be taking you up on it.

Primers don't matter as I will be priming off press.  I am more comfortable that way and will stick to it. 

Your example is exactly what I am trying to avoid...  The situation of cranking away and not realizing that there's a problem until I have done a bunch of rounds and then need to go and re-check them all.  I know there will be operator error and I would like to mitigate my time rectifying it. 

I know I can make more ammo on the 650 or LNL.  However, the 550 will make as much as I will be needing in the forseeable future.  Add to that the fact that I enjoy getting down stairs and loading and the 550 seems like a perfect fit.  For me, it's not about get a bunch done for a match.  It's about spending an hour away from the crazy's  I live with!!  :maninlove:

I can most definitely be persuaded to go another way but for now the 550 seems right. 

C

Go see the 550 with Old school --  Then call me --  I set up the 650 right next to the Hornady LNL this week -- You can come see both of them together

It's a toss up which one is better -- You can feel primers seat on the 650 but it still sucks to prime on a press -- thats my opinion and I'm sticking to it

The 650 does have a whole lot more parts, a smaller work area, and just seems more complicated to get to the same place

I do like the  half step rotation of the Hornady better then the full rotation of the dillon -- If and when something goes wrong, your in a half position on the hornday and it's easier to rectify

I also like that the completed, finished rounds eject from the shellplate in front of you on the hornady -- on the dillon they eject on the opposite side of the press from where you are sitting 

On the dillon, if you don't catch it as soon as the problem occurs, you've completed a full rotation and ejected a case on the other side --  why does this matter -- I'll explain what happened to me

I was running the dillon, when out of nowhere, a new primer dropped into the un-used primer tray -- this means I missed seating a primer -- Ok no big deal -- totally operator error

So I put the press to it's rest position, and the shellplate rotates, as it's supposed to -- and out drops a partially completed round on the far side of the press, no chance of me seeing which one it is

So I pull all those brass pins to remove the cases from each station and set them back 1 place when I realize I now have an un-crimped round in my bin of finished rounds --  

Can't find it,  until I take the chamber checker out and cycle all the finsihed rounds through it -- and there was 90 plus in there -- PIA

Anyway,  Just my initial thoughts --  I've only got 100 rounds thru the dillon --  I've got 2 or 3 thousand thru the Hornady

You can "feel" when a primer does not go in.