zoid

Issue with my 45ACP - Please help

I have this issue where my 45ACP rounds would go in freely into my Kimber 1911 barrel

up until the last 1/8" or so.  At that point a bit of force was needed to get it to fully chamber.

And you had to really pull it out to remove it.  

I realized that because I was using flatpoints the shoulders were a little broader compared

to a round nose and my bullet length was a little too long.  I shorted the OAL and this made

the round go freely into MY 1911 barrel.  They shoot absolutely fine and have used them in matches.

But I tried it on my friends Remington R1 and it absolutely will not chamber all the way

(barrel removed dropping in by hand).  It is a very tight fit.  

I measured the outer diameters and it seemed to be in line with a spec 45ACP and a factory

ACP I measured against.  

Is this due to my crimp?  Resize?  Flare?  OAL is good now and cannot go any shorter.  

Please help!

Run them through a Lee Bulge Buster setup (which uses the carbide-ringed body of a Lee Factory Crimp die) to bring the entire round's diameter down to spec.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/882261/lee-bulge-buster-base-sizing-kit-380-auto-40-s-and-w-45-acp?cm_vc=wishList

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/716704/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die-45-acp-45-auto-rim

Takes care of nicked rims, bulges, less than wonderful crimps ... everything but bad OAL (that one's still on you)

The Bulge buster is a separate, final operation.

The round actually gets pushed all the way through the factory crimp body into a red plastic holding area.

The shell holder (on a single stage press) is replaced by the "pusher stud"

(Not sure how you'd configure your Lee Progressive to use it.  Give Lee a call tomorrow. They've been very helpful the couple of times I've called them)

Bulge buster hides the issues with ammo. You shouldn't need one in a 45 due to it being a low pressure round.

If the ammo is within spec then it's the chamber of the gun that's off. Might want to have the chamber opened up a little.

His seems to chamber Wolf Steel rounds just fine and that is what I am comparing against because 

I know it worked in his gun.  

My rounds also worked flawlessly in a Springfield XD45, M&P45, Dan Wesson Patriot 1911, AR15 with

45ACP upper.  

The Bulge buster is a separate, final operation.

The round actually gets pushed all the way through the factory crimp body into a red plastic holding area.

The shell holder (on a single stage press) is replaced by the "pusher stud"

(Not sure how you'd configure your Lee Progressive to use it.  Give Lee a call tomorrow. They've been very helpful the couple of times I've called them)

Thanks man, good idea.

When I had an issue like that it was because of the OAL. Enough of the lead bullet was passed the edge of the shell that it get forced into, and stuck on the rifling of the barrel. That is why it is hard to get all the way in and why it's hard to get out after you've forced it in. You will most likely have to seat it a little further in. Check one of those bullets and you should see marks on it where it was hitting the rifling.

I couldn't get flat point bullets to ever chamber in my Springfield without going ridiculously short. I gave up on FP's.

When they get stuck in your friend's barrel, after you pull them out, is the bullet marked up from the lands? If so then that barrel simply won't work with your OAL/bullet profile combination.

That said, I had persistent feeding problems that never fully went away until I got the Lee Factory Crimp Die and crimped as a separate stage. My cases never got stuck but I was getting 3-point jams and occasional FTE.

Tony, I have a Dillon 45 ACP case gauge and it would easily pass the check without getting stuck in that because the case gauges do not have rifling in them.  :p

Now I check them by putting them in the barrels instead of a case gauge.  Easy to do with Glock barrels that you can remove from the gun.  :)

Tony, I have a Dillon 45 ACP case gauge and it would easily pass the check without getting stuck in that because the case gauges do not have rifling in them.   :p

Now I check them by putting them in the barrels instead of a case gauge.  Easy to do with Glock barrels that you can remove from the gun.   :)

yes but their is a shoulder where the rifling would begin this measures the ogive of the bullet. if it fits the gauge and not your barrel your barrel is out of spec. that would be my assumption..