Bully

AR Build Questions, Guidelines, and Suggestions

op, you could polish your own trigger and make it feel the same way for $15 and it's quite easy to do.  That is, if your set on a military style trigger.  Youtube has tons of videos on this for novices.  What you wont' get away from is the 5.5lb pull.  My recommendation is to try different persons rifles with different triggers if you can.  It's always smart to try different things first if you can.

op, you could polish your own trigger and make it feel the same way for $15 and it's quite easy to do.  That is, if your set on a military style trigger.  Youtube has tons of videos on this for novices.  What you wont' get away from is the 5.5lb pull.  My recommendation is to try different persons rifles with different triggers if you can.  It's always smart to try different things first if you can.

Thank you.  Much appreciated. 

A super light pull is not what I'm after.  Smooth is where it's at for me.  That being said, the high end triggers do hold an appeal for me.  I can always add one later if I decide to stay the stock route.  We'll see.

C

So, I was able to finally meet my buddy and pick up my lower. 

I got the Mega Arms forged "Gator" lower.  It goes well with my forged Mega Arms stripped upper that I picked up from Ty at Midwest PX.  I'll be ordering a LPK in the next day or so.  Pics to follow. 

C

Ordered the LPK w/o the trigger group and a grip from Ty this evening.  Most likely be here by Wednesday. 

Still shopping for a trigger.  Still very undecided. 

C

Have decided to go with the ALG-ACT trigger.  Will most likely order after the holidays.  I know that I can polish my own trigger but I like the fact that this is done and coated to make it slickery.  

Then it's on to the BCG. 

Also, does anyone have any experience with Satern Machining barrels?  I'm far from it, but am still looking at barrels from several manufacturers and they have a seemingly good reputation.  I do prefer hearing from those with first hand experience, though. 

C

bcg...right here; you will not find better that this price and in many cases, for more money

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGBDG&name=AIM+AR%2fM16+.223%2f5.56+9310+MPI+BDG+Bolt+Carrier+Group&groupid=723

Thank you, sir.

Looks like it's just you and me chiming in on this thread.  That's fine with me.  You'll be the only one in on the kicker at the end! 

C

Have decided to go with the ALG-ACT trigger.  Will most likely order after the holidays.  I know that I can polish my own trigger but I like the fact that this is done and coated to make it slickery.  

Then it's on to the BCG. 

Also, does anyone have any experience with Satern Machining barrels?  I'm far from it, but am still looking at barrels from several manufacturers and they have a seemingly good reputation.  I do prefer hearing from those with first hand experience, though. 

C

I like your choice :)  The trigger seems to get better with use.   I don't have any experience with the barrel though

I don't know this barrel either....

op...answer the following;

length desired

ss, chrome, nitride/melonite

heavy or light

we'll get you a barrel

it would also be helpful to know what the intended use of the gun will be. I know you said target/fun competition earlier but things change as we go along. Is that still the intent with this build?

also....how much on the barrel are you looking to spend?  here is an excellent barrel under 200....

best higher end barrel you will get anywhere near that price....cmv4150, melonite, 16" gov't profile and adams arms has great qc

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1322-adams-arms-voodoo-innovations-16-melonite-carbine-m4-barrel.aspx

it would also be helpful to know what the intended use of the gun will be. I know you said target/fun competition earlier but things change as we go along. Is that still the intent with this build?

Target, plinking, fun.  Would like to take it on a hog hunt next year if funds allow.

So, here's the kicker.  I"ve decided to do it in 300 Blackout.  I am a reloader and the round is crazy appealing from that perspective.  I will be forming my own brass.  I also like what I've seen of the ballistics when the round is run supersonic.  The round also appeals to me because it's still a touch "quirky" .  Add to that the fact that everything besides the barrel is the same as .223 and for me, it's a winner. 

I'm looking for a heavy to medium contour barrel, 16" in length, with a 1/8 twist.  I would also be interested in a 1/10 if I could find one at a decent price.  I would love to have a fluted barrel with the compensator integral to the barrel, but am willing to pass on that if funds do not allow. 

C

Last question on the lower: the buffer.  Just a standard weight mil-spec should do the trick, correct?

If anyone knows Rob0115, I think he did a 300 build recently. I would love him to chime in. 

C

I have no idea really as I have never even shot a 300blk.  I don't know if you need a different set up etc.

I think it's a foolish build given you get almost nothing over x39 and the price of the ammo, even with reloading, is still expensive.  With x39, you can buy 1k at 239.  I can buy a complete rifle in that caliber for 500.  Where the blk comes into it's own is with suppressors as I understand it.  We can't own them here.

I have no idea really as I have never even shot a 300blk.  I don't know if you need a different set up etc.

I think it's a foolish build given you get almost nothing over x39 and the price of the ammo, even with reloading, is still expensive.  With x39, you can buy 1k at 239.  I can buy a complete rifle in that caliber for 500.  Where the blk comes into it's own is with suppressors as I understand it.  We can't own them here.

I've heard most of the arguments for and against.  I know the suppressor argument well.  I know and understand why the round was created.  I also know that I can't run it like that.  I'm 100% clear on the limitations that this state has imposed on me.  I'm totally fine with it. 

I'm doing it because it's what I want.  Simple as that. 

C

Last question on the lower: the buffer.  Just a standard weight mil-spec should do the trick, correct?

If anyone knows Rob0115, I think he did a 300 build recently. I would love him to chime in. 

C

Lots of variables at play with this one if you're building with a carbine receiver extension and not a rifle length.  Gas system and gas port size are going to have a direct effect on what weight you'll want to use.  Overgassed guns would do better with H or H2 weighted buffers.  General rule of thumb is carbine length gas systems should use H or H2 while midlengths are typically better served by an H weight buffer.  You can run a standard carbine weight but may experienced unnecessary perceived recoil.

also....how much on the barrel are you looking to spend? here is an excellent barrel under 200....

best higher end barrel you will get anywhere near that price....cmv4150, melonite, 16" gov't profile and adams arms has great qc

http://www.riflegear.com/p-1322-adams-arms-voodoo-innovations-16-melonite-carbine-m4-barrel.aspx

It's that cheap because the gas port is sized for the Adams arms piston system. It won't run right with a di setup.

not true, I have one on a build I did last year and not one hiccup. I did the lw version of this same barrel

What ammo are you running, or did they finally come out with a di version?

Have you fired it with .223 spec ammo in cold weather?

Lots of variables at play with this one if you're building with a carbine receiver extension and not a rifle length.  Gas system and gas port size are going to have a direct effect on what weight you'll want to use.  Overgassed guns would do better with H or H2 weighted buffers.  General rule of thumb is carbine length gas systems should use H or H2 while midlengths are typically better served by an H weight buffer.  You can run a standard carbine weight but may experienced unnecessary perceived recoil.

Perceived and real recoil in an AR platform is quite manageable.  I am going to run an ACE Skeleton stock, standard length with standard spring and buffer.  I'll give that a shot and "upgrade" it if necessary down the road. 

Gas tube will probably be a carbine length.  Seems to be the most common on barrels over 10 inches.  Thanks for the heads up, as always.

C

What ammo are you running, or did they finally come out with a di version?

Have you fired it with .223 spec ammo in cold weather?

I fired everything from wolf, lc xm193, to reloads...never had a problem.  Great barrel actually and was very accurate printing 1.5 with wolf and with my reloads a hair under moa.  I sold that rifle as it was a throw together. 

My LPK and Magpul grip showed up today!!!

Just waiting on the trigger.  I found the ALG-ACT online for a slightly better price than I had been seeing elsewhere.  I scooped it up.  I am hoping to have the lower together by the end of next week.  I have to say that although I'm not a huge AR fan, this is kind of fun.  Thanks again to all that have contributed so far.

C

Yup.  I'm months away on this, however I'm looking for opinions on the Leupold VX-R series of scopes.  I like the "firedot" for quick acquisition of target and the reticle looks pretty useful for hunting if I ever get the chance to do it.  I'm good with spending the money as the rifle will fit squarely in the high end bracket (in my mind at least). 

Any opinions?  It looks to be a great scope.  It is a lot of money however.  I just want to make sure it's not over hyped.

I got the difficult parts of the LPK installed today without instance.  The magazine and bolt releases, and the front take down pin are installed.  Just waiting on the trigger to show up (tomorrow by the USPS delivery estimator) and the stock, which is on B.O. thru a friend.  She is continuing to move along, though.

C