A-Tech

New Remington 700

So I just bought one from the Evil Dick's on Tuesday. ...308 ADL with a 3-9x40 scope. Out the door I paid $476 with a box of ammo and get a $50 mail-in rebate. Anyone that knows me, knows I can't leave well enough alone. I already took it apart to check clearance between the barrel and stock. Found that it was a applying a significant upward pressure. I shaved it down a lot and fixed that issue. Next on the list is grinding down the bolt handle so I can install a new bolt knob. This knob must have been built for a hobbit. I might pillar bed the stock until I can afford a new chassis...always easier to practice on the stuff that's not going to stay there anyway... I'll update as I go along

So I went to the range yesterday to get somewhat of a benchmark....couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Took a ton of ammo to finally find my shots, which were hitting about 2.5ft left at 100yds. This is somewhat my fault because I should have boresighted it. What can I say, I expected Remington to at least get it close so their customers didn't think they bought a POS. Once it was zero, I was hitting quarter sized groups no problem.

So I went to the range yesterday to get somewhat of a benchmark....couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Took a ton of ammo to finally find my shots, which were hitting about 2.5ft left at 100yds. This is somewhat my fault because I should have boresighted it. What can I say, I expected Remington to at least get it close so their customers didn't think they bought a POS. Once it was zero, I was hitting quarter sized groups no problem.

If you altered the bedding before even shooting it and then neglected to bore-sight it before taking it to the range; how is it Remington's fault it was shooting 2.5' to the left? If it's shooting quarter-sized groups, Remington must have done a pretty good job.

If you altered the bedding before even shooting it and then neglected to bore-sight it before taking it to the range; how is it Remington's fault it was shooting 2.5' to the left? If it's shooting quarter-sized groups, Remington must have done a pretty good job.

I guess that's a valid point, but I also wasn't saying they did a bad job. It's still as accurate as I would expect from a 700. Then again, I also wouldn't have expected the stock to be pushing up on the barrel when brand new. So while they may have bore sighted it, they did it under poor conditions....hence the original complaint. If anything, it further validates my claim.

Aftermarket from a guy called twistedbarrels dot com. Not completely happy with the finish on the knob and it looks like it's time to change the bit that he used to flute. One side of every cut is pitted.

Next on the list it to thread the barrel for a muzzle brake. I'd really like to put a JP Enterprise brake on it soon.

I'd like to pick up a remi 700 soon

Heard that. I'm thinking about picking one up at dicks on Black Friday, they are like $400 I think. Even if it's a cheap version doesn't everyone change the stock out anyway?

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Heard that. I'm thinking about picking one up at dicks on Black Friday, they are like $400 I think. Even if it's a cheap version doesn't everyone change the stock out anyway?

This signature exceeds the 15 character capacity

Lots of people do, but you'll be spending a ton of money on a decent chassis. I was going to build one piece by piece, but this was a cheaper way of getting the barrel/action/bolt, and I can still shoot it. I think I'm going to get the Archangel stock to hold me over for a while so I can still have a cheek riser and pillar bedded stock. Eventually I'll get a JP.