Melgamatic

Fastest way to get some instructor/RSO training...

I'm one of the scoutmasters for a large Boy Scout troop, and our SPL (senior patrol leader, the boy in charge) is anxious to get our troop shooting more.  The scouts all shoot 22's and shotguns at summer camp and other places, but we're looking to do more troop shooting trips.

The BSA has a complex set of rules about shooting events other than those at council camps and summer camps.  There is a big manual, etc.  In order to make this happen, we need to get a few leaders trained as RSO's and at least one (probably me) trained as an NRA shotgun instructor.  I took NRA RSO training 2 or 3 years ago at a club, but the paperwork was immediately lost and I'll need to take that again, soon.

So, in the next month or two I'd like to take NRA RSO, NRA basic instructor and NRA shotgun.  I can take a few days off work if necessary to take weekday courses, although weekend courses might be easier.

I looked at Gun For Hire's schedule, and they have all of them offered, but not necessarily frequently or conveniently.  Their 1/11/14 RSO course might work.

Are there other places around (say up to an hour into PA) that offer these courses frequently?

What's the fastest way to get all three courses under my belt?

-Dave

I'm one of the scoutmasters for a large Boy Scout troop, and our SPL (senior patrol leader, the boy in charge) is anxious to get our troop shooting more.  The scouts all shoot 22's and shotguns at summer camp and other places, but we're looking to do more troop shooting trips.

The BSA has a complex set of rules about shooting events other than those at council camps and summer camps.  There is a big manual, etc.  In order to make this happen, we need to get a few leaders trained as RSO's and at least one (probably me) trained as an NRA shotgun instructor.  I took NRA RSO training 2 or 3 years ago at a club, but the paperwork was immediately lost and I'll need to take that again, soon.

So, in the next month or two I'd like to take NRA RSO, NRA basic instructor and NRA shotgun.  I can take a few days off work if necessary to take weekday courses, although weekend courses might be easier.

I looked at Gun For Hire's schedule, and they have all of them offered, but not necessarily frequently or conveniently.  Their 1/11/14 RSO course might work.

Are there other places around (say up to an hour into PA) that offer these courses frequently?

What's the fastest way to get all three courses under my belt?

-Dave

Since your paperwork was "lost" somehow, you may also have to take whatever course you're trying to teach, in addition to the B.I.T. (Basic Instructor Training), RSO, and Basic Shotgun Instructor.  Basically, you're starting-over from scratch, UNLESS you have a NRA Instructor Rating on file.  So if you want to teach Shotgun or Rifle, you need to also take and pass the Basic Class PRIOR to taking the Instructor Class for that discipline.  The new rule was put into effect more than a year ago.  This may take more time than you originally planned...

As both an Eagle Scout Dad and Charter Organization Representative with my local Boy Scout Troop, I too volunteer time with Scouting.  Perhaps I may be able to come to Monmouth or wherever you wish to shoot and assist you and your Troop?  I currently hold Instructor ratings in Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Muzzleloading Pistol.  I'm also a CRSO and can therefore teach the RSO Class.  In addition, I'm also a NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle AND Pistol, as well as a competitive shooter in several other disciplines including Shotgun.  I'm registered with BSA as my Troops' C.O.R., and have an up-to-date Merit Badge Counselor rating in Shotgun and Rifle, so I can teach both.  If there is any way I can help you and your Troop, please let me know!

Dave

NRA Life Member 

Since your paperwork was "lost" somehow, you may also have to take whatever course you're trying to teach, in addition to the B.I.T. (Basic Instructor Training), RSO, and Basic Shotgun Instructor.  Basically, you're starting-over from scratch, UNLESS you have a NRA Instructor Rating on file.  So if you want to teach Shotgun or Rifle, you need to also take and pass the Basic Class PRIOR to taking the Instructor Class for that discipline.  The new rule was put into effect more than a year ago.  This may take more time than you originally planned...

As both an Eagle Scout Dad and Charter Organization Representative with my local Boy Scout Troop, I too volunteer time with Scouting.  Perhaps I may be able to come to Monmouth or wherever you wish to shoot and assist you and your Troop?  I currently hold Instructor ratings in Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Muzzleloading Pistol.  I'm also a CRSO and can therefore teach the RSO Class.  In addition, I'm also a NRA Distinguished Expert in Muzzleloading Rifle AND Pistol, as well as a competitive shooter in several other disciplines including Shotgun.  I'm registered with BSA as my Troops' C.O.R., and have an up-to-date Merit Badge Counselor rating in Shotgun and Rifle, so I can teach both.  If there is any way I can help you and your Troop, please let me know!

Dave

NRA Life Member

Nice offer Dave!

Dave

NRA Life Member 

Yes, very nice offer.  Let me figure out how we're going to do this and I'll contact you.  Thank you very much.

-Dave

(Also NRA Life Member)