Frank Rizzo

In a Jam - Stuck Case in XDm

Just finishing up cleaning my XDm, buddy suggests I toss in a spent case to dryfire it.  I have snapcaps but none were in front of me so stupid me threw in the spent case.  Slide closed on it and instant jam..  can only retract slide a hair now.  Stuck a wood dowel in barrel and had him push while I attempted to retract side..  nothing.  This thing is in there, its not budging and if I try any harder, I fear something will break.  I have no clue what to do, any advice would be appreciated. 

Had the same issue with my XDM45 and my 200gr RNFP reloads initially

I now carry a thin (<1/4") piece of stiff hard plastic (from a project at work) to put the edge of between the barrel and the recoil rod up front and push against a solid surface (with the far edge of the plastic)

It forces the slide back without interfering with the barrel and the recoil rod (because it's right between them) when you push hard on the pistol.

XDMs have tighter 'match' chambers, so your rounds need to be a touch smaller that will go in the average XD chamber (at least of the .45acp variety) in my experience.

Dont know the proper term, but when I've delt with jams like that would give it the ol power stroke

face gun downwards in front of you, waist level

grab the slide good and strong with your left hand

with your right hand give it a good hit downward with your palm

I assume the empty case was buldged a bit and when you chambered it , it got stuck.

Throw it over the wall?

ROFL!!  I love this place... 

Got it out!  njJoni pointed me in right direction.  Took a deep socket slightly larger than the barrel, placed it on front of slide over barrel, pushed down hard and rapidly a couple times...  it freed up and popped up.  :) 

You can dry fire XDs and XDMs all day long.

In fact, with every one I acquired, I must have dry fired each at least 500 times at the tv to break in the trigger.

Most were pre-owned, but with very little use.

Maybe it was that .45acp factory ammo is more $ and a bit (lol) pushier than the wimpier calibers, but I got some good deals on the arfcom EE.

I have heard stories, however, of the vertical roll pin in the top of the slide (that retains the striker mechanism) breaking due to excessive dry firing, but I've not seen it myself.

Do I smell another beating of the OP?

:rolleyes:

Buddy suggested it.  :unknw:  I have the upgraded PRP roll pin installed so it was needed for dramatic purposes only.   Please commence beatings....

Lol

You beat yourself up enough trying to get the stuck case out. I was just curious as to why you felt you needed something in the chamber to dry fire. You should be able to click away all day long with no issues without a snap cap. If you prefer to use them for dry fire sessions - rock on - but for a quick post cleaning function check you should be fine without one.

:rolleyes:

Lol

You beat yourself up enough trying to get the stuck case out. I was just curious as to why you felt you needed something in the chamber to dry fire. You should be able to click away all day long with no issues without a snap cap. If you prefer to use them for dry fire sessions - rock on - but for a quick post cleaning function check you should be fine without one.

Yeah I second this. I'm not familiar with placing anything in the chamber before dry firing.

You can dry fire XDs and XDMs all day long.

In fact, with every one I acquired, I must have dry fired each at least 500 times at the tv to break in the trigger.

Most were pre-owned, but with very little use.

Maybe it was that .45acp factory ammo is more $ and a bit (lol) pushier than the wimpier calibers, but I got some good deals on the arfcom EE.

I have heard stories, however, of the vertical roll pin in the top of the slide (that retains the striker mechanism) breaking due to excessive dry firing, but I've not seen it myself.

I had the verical roll pin crack in half longways(vertically) in my XD Subcompact. That pin holds the striker in place. The gun will fire as long as the pin stays in place, however once it falls out you won't know anything is wrong until you pull the trigger and nothing happens. It's an easy fix with the proper tools, but it leaves me questioning its reliability for a CCW handgun.