wink-_-wink

Pointless?

The most efficient way to have backup cell phone charge for power outages is to have multiple batteries that you keep charged and rotate through every week or so. I would much rather have them than have a charger I could use two or three times, it's much faster and a more efficient use of space (especially in a pack) and time.

Of course, if you have other USB devices that need charging, a universal battery that can charge them becomes the better choice.

I keep a solar charger handy for my ipad because i have created a pdf library of skills and information that would be helpful if not neccessary in a SHTF situation. Everything from food, medical,gardening, power, shleters, survival, maps and anything i can find that could help. Short of an emp it gives me a wealth of info in a tiny portable package. Knwlege is power!

care to share the PDFs?

Anthony Bourdain gave an interview in which he was talking about his show.

They visited the Democratic Republic of the Congo and filmed a bunch of the ruins left by Belgium when they pulled out. They cemented the toilets, and trashed the placed, a bunch of vindictive pricks if ever there was.

I'm paraphrasing his quote but when asked how it was there, in such primitive conditions, he said "There was pretty much no running water anywhere, no toilets, and rarely any electricity and I had 5 bars on my cellphone"

While I don't think having portable power is a bad thing, I don't think we'll ever get to a point where the phones don't work.

They also left basically the only infrastructure that exists to this day. The concept of Africa being better off without colonialism has two sides.

I've gotta admit, when we've lost power the lack of coffee was one of the toughest parts

Dear god people, these things are like $3-4 at the supermarket, and come packed with a few filters, a box of additional ones is like $2

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390586005&sr=8-1&keywords=one+cup+coffe+funnel

The supermarket was like locusts descended during sandy and these things were still on the shelf. Got one for my wife and the in laws. It was like I was Prometheus bringing fire.

I don't even drink coffee, why does it seem it is jsut me and the shoprite inventory system that knows these exist.  

Dear god people, these things are like $3-4 at the supermarket, and come packed with a few filters, a box of additional ones is like $2

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Single-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B0014CVEH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390586005&sr=8-1&keywords=one+cup+coffe+funnel

The supermarket was like locusts descended during sandy and these things were still on the shelf. Got one for my wife and the in laws. It was like I was Prometheus bringing fire.

I don't even drink coffee, why does it seem it is jsut me and the shoprite inventory system that knows these exist.

A melitta cone is an excellent way to make coffee. Fresh, locally roasted beans, ground yourself moments before brewing, through a pour over cone will produce an excellent cup of coffee. Light years ahead of what you'd get at dunkin,sbux,etc. the beans and grind are the most inportant parts. Get a hario hand grinder, melitta cone and you'll be loving life during power outages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A melitta cone is an excellent way to make coffee. Fresh, locally roasted beans, ground yourself moments before brewing, through a pour over cone will produce an excellent cup of coffee. Light years ahead of what you'd get at dunkin,sbux,etc. the beans and grind are the most inportant parts. Get a hario hand grinder, melitta cone and you'll be loving life during power outages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this setup (pour over + french press, hario hand grinder) because a) great for outages and b) I love good coffee.

Regarding the solar battery packs, has anyone found any that are actually GOOD? I've been through 3-4 now and as far as recharging via the sun, they're pretty terrible.