Sign in to follow this  
Barms

School me on magnifiers or scopes

If this has been discussed in another thread please direct me.

I'm interested in seeing how accurate my rifle is. Or actually let me rephrase how "consistent" my budget rifle build is. But obviously I can't see if I'm able to put bullets in the same hole from 50 or 100 away without magnification (you need to see the hole right?). I didn't build the rifle for this but I am curious. I know you pros are laughing when I say 50 or 100 but if I can tack drive them from that range I'd be happy.

So with that in mind should I try a scope or would RDS magnifier be adequate? Here's my thoughts: this is not about fast target acquisition, id be shooting from a bench. I'm really just looking for advice on inexpensive entry level magnification. I know nothing about scopes, what the numbers mean, what "eye relief" means, etc.

Again, this is really about just seeing the limits of my rifle as opposed to a real yearning for precision distance shooting. Like if it was possible for me to rent a scope for a day i would.

Great info above. Okay so for scope what "numbers" magnification is adequate for very close up under 100yards?

In other words in asking not what's the best magnification. I'm asking what's the lowest I can use for the above. Best bang for the buck?

Great info above. Okay so for scope what "numbers" magnification is adequate for very close up under 100yards?

In other words in asking not what's the best magnification. I'm asking what's the lowest I can use for the above. Best bang for the buck?

I shoot with a 3-9x variable magnification on my 308 AR....

it is plenty tight enough for me... variable power is nice so it is not TOO obnoxious as you get closer.. 

At 100yds the most you need is 3x. What the best option is depends on your price range...

Not saying you are wrong. But I don't know if I can agree with that. I have an acog which is 4x and my old eyes are taxed to see a bulls eye at that distance. It was fine when I was younger. Even with my glasses, it can be a challenge. I'm considering getting a variable over 10... Maybe eye sight should be taken into consideration.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Not saying you are wrong. But I don't know if I can agree with that. I have an acog which is 4x and my old eyes are taxed to see a bulls eye at that distance. It was fine when I was younger. Even with my glasses, it can be a challenge. I'm considering getting a variable over 10... Maybe eye sight should be taken into consideration.

:)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Valid point. I also skipped over the post where he said he wanted a scope.

If you want to get up real close as posted a 3-9 would be a good choice. Another option would be 1-6.