usnmars

Use science not scrubbing

Sometimes we get a firearm that is a little on the "cruddy side."  Well rather than buff the heck out of it with steel wool, or a wire wheel I tend to like to use electrolysis to clean.  This is great if you have a historic firearm and you want to remove rust and gunk and not scrub it to look new.  This process will leave original bluing, and most of the patina and it comes out looking like it hasn't been cleaned.  You will need a plastic tub that can fit the gun, a piece of rebar,  and a battery charger.  I followed the instructions on this site and the results are amazing.  http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=103161

I recently did this to the old Civil War Musket from Appomattox to help preserve it.  The rust that was on it was active and needed to be neutralized or the gun would just keep on rusting.  I did not want to remove the patina, or have it look pimp shined so I decided to do electrolysis.  Here is a before pic of the lock and an after.  Also some of the proof marks showed up after cleaning that you couldn't see before.  The electrolisys process also cleans the bore so a nasty looking bore can come out looking great.  The Appomattox rifle ended up having a mirror bore, and my gunsmith said it was the best he's seen on a civil war gun.  It ends up that the gun is actually shootable! 

P1000334_zpsfde8f6a3.jpg

P1000335_zpsa314c77e.jpg

BEFORE

P1000279_zps7405e0d7.jpg

AFTER

P1000349_zpsf3bd1adf.jpg

P1000350_zps03cc4322.jpg

P1000351_zpsf2f7ae2d.jpg

Here is an old 1873 Trapdoor Cavalry Carbine that i picked up cheap recently because it looked like a wall hanger.  It was crudded up pretty darn good, the lock wouldn't work and it was seized up.  Into the electrolysis tank it went this morning.  After a little "bath" it came out in awesome condition with a mirror bore.  So tomorrow I am going to let this old guy bark for the first time in probably a hundred years.

P1000341_zps7c0fb2d4.jpg

P1000343_zps2e081829.jpg

P1000337_zpsa4ed92c5.jpg

P1000338_zps8901c56e.jpg

P1000339_zps9c81c4cf.jpg

P1000348_zps2ad184dc.jpg

I have used electrolysis to salvage a giant vice that I got from someone for free. It was supposedly sitting outside for 10+ years and was completely seized. After a 3 month bath in oil it was still seized and I thought I would have to scrap it. Then a friend taught me about electrolysis. After a few weeks in it became unseized and still works great today. So with a little work I got a vice that weighs well over 100lbs for free!

Bill Nye the Science Guy! Bill! Bill! Bill! Really, that is great. Totally forgot about doing it that way. Last time I screwed with electrolysis, I was generating Hydrogen...

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro