Sign in to follow this  
SW99

2nd Cam Pin broken...

Hey everyone!

Was on the range yesterday and when I wen to go clean my gun today noticed the cam pin was broken. I don't even know when it snapped as everything was shooting just fine with no issues. This is the second time this has happened so I am on my 3rd one. 

My questions is… Is this normal? Do these things just break? or is there a bigger underlying problem? Its a full Stag upper with Stag BCG and its literally the only problem I have really ever had with this setup. Incase it matters, I shot 40 rounds of shit Tul-ammo and the rest was PMC Bronze. 

Is there a better brand/quality pin to go with? I don't mind spending the money if thats the case. 

Thanks,

SW99.

How old is the rifle/How many total rounds through it?

I'm assuming by now you've cleaned the packing oil off the BCG and properly lubed it prior to shooting?

Did you contact Stag about the problem the first time and they sent you a replacement pin? Google searches note a few posts similar to this with Stags but most were from 2012 and they blame a bad batch of pins.

Remove the BCG and look inside the upper at the small cutout where the cam pin rotates, any abnormal damage to that area (pics)?

Cam pins will fail but most likely after a lot of rounds. If they fail on a new rifle/BCG then something could be out of spec.

Lalo,

Funny you say that because this was a early 2012 build. I ordered the entire upper from Stag complete (built the lower from scratch) about 2 years ago around this month. Yes when the first one broke summer of 2012 I called stag and they sent me 2 more. The one I just put in today was one of those 2. I probably have about 1000 rounds through it since build. I'll take pictures of everything when I get home in a few. Thanks!

The 2 replacements sound like they are the same lot as the original, all from the bad 2012 run.

Explain the case. See if they will send new ones from 2013.

I just emailed them, lets see what happens.

Update:

This was the reply I got from Stag at 10am this morning:

"You are correct, we did have a bad batch. It sounds like you got two bad ones. I will send you out a new one and a new firing pin to be safe. This should resolve the issue. New firing pin just in case the old one is hitting the cam pin at a bad angle. I will put the parts in the mail for you. No need to purchase a new one."

These guys are outstanding to deal with, the first time this happened and now 2 years later and they don't skip a beat. 

Glad you're getting them to fix it. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare or two from BCM or any other reputable brand. I keep an extra MidwestPX LPK in my range bag just in case anything ever fails.

Glad you're getting them to fix it. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a spare or two from BCM or any other reputable brand. I keep an extra MidwestPX LPK in my range bag just in case anything ever fails.

Great point. Was actually thing that as I was looking at cam pins. I really want to start a new build so when I do I'll order so extra parts to keep for both. Thanks for the help everyone.