Newtonian

Air rifles, killing animals, root canals

OK, now that I've been disabused of the possibility of hunting with a .22 rifle, I'm considering an air rifle. I've already read the FAQ.

Questions:

1. Can they really kill rabbits? I saw some energy data on .177 and .22, and they weren't impressive.

2. Still no rifle permit required since the FAQs posted?

3. I own a 12-gauge shot gun and have a ton of 8-shot shells. Would the air rifle duplicate what I already have? I'd think an air rifle would be a cleaner kill. No pellets to break my teeth, meat cleaner, skin/fur better preserved. True?

4. Can you recommend a shop that carries them?

5. Overall impression of air rifles? 

Thanks.

OK, now that I've been disabused of the possibility of hunting with a .22 rifle, I'm considering an air rifle. I've already read the FAQ.

Questions:

1. Can they really kill rabbits? I saw some energy data on .177 and .22, and they weren't impressive. Yes. Just remember that rabbits are much easier to kill than squirrels. Rabbits don’t have a hide like a squirrel does.

2. Still no rifle permit required since the FAQs posted? Correct. No rifle permit required for an air rifle.

3. I own a 12-gauge shot gun and have a ton of 8-shot shells. Would the air rifle duplicate what I already have? I'd think an air rifle would be a cleaner kill. No pellets to break my teeth, meat cleaner, skin/fur better preserved. True? #8 shot will work, as will other fine shot sizes. Part of “game preparation” is cleaning the bloodshot areas and searching for pellets before you cook the meat. They are easy to find. On fleeing game, the shotgun will give you the edge. Remember, if you are trying to hit a rabbit that’s flat-out running and zig-zagging his way through the thickets, chances are you’re not plastering him with the full charge of your pattern unless you wield a shotgun like George Digweed. So, don't worry about too many pellet hits. Often, it's a single magic pellet that game succumbs to.

4. Can you recommend a shop that carries them? Go to NY or PA where you can buy them off the shelf. Cash and carry there and no NICS.

5. Overall impression of air rifles? Long overdue for the state to legalize them for hunting. Most other neighboring states have allowed air rifles for hunting for awhile.

Thanks.

Hope this helps you.

Pellet speed over 1,000fps works well on squirrels in .177 caliber.