Sign in to follow this  
wooly bugger

Finally becoming a pistol owner!

Between the recent spate of carjackings in my neighborhood, the 9th CA decision, and a new job that will have me traveling a lot to free states, I've finally convinced gotten my wife onboard with my getting a pistol or three. So, I'm going to have a lot of newbie questions in the coming weeks.

Here's the first:

I would like to CC in CT, where my office is. That would require me to transport between my home and the state line. Since I'm not going directly to an approved location, like a range or gunsmith, would that make me a felon? Same goes for taking to the airport for transport to the free states.

If so, the only thing I can think of is to have a list of gun ranges in each of the states that I'm "on my way to," but that seems pretty lame, and it wouldn't work on the way back.

Interstate transport is covered by federal law, even when transporting thru NYS. As long as:

a) you firearm is legal at its state or origin and its legal at its destination state

and

b) you keep the pistol unloaded and locked and separate from the ammo

you'll be fine even if stopped in NYS.

Once you're in CT you can carry if you posses a ccw so no worries about transportation laws up there.

FOPA  is that federal law.  Firearm Owners Protection Act.

It says in part:  "Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearms if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle, provided that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

There is some legal question about the definition of "place" and whether your home is the place where you can possess and carry or if it means your state.  The courts haven't ruled on this yet.   If place means "home", you can transport from your home to CT. If it doesn't, you can't.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it but thought you should know this and make your own decision.

Welcome to handguns. I think that 3 is the bare minimum.

As many stated above FOPA should protect you for transport. And i m sure you ve looked into The CT non resident CCW.

I CCW in PA frequently and the biggest problem i have is:

-not knowing if i am in proximity of a school (no guns in 1000ft of a school)

-policies of the property owners where i park ( most of my clients have a non guns policy on their property and i park off site).

i wasnt so concerned with NYS, but more of NYC..  FOPA covers through NYS, but I thought that the SAFE act in NY pretty much made that pointless within city limits..  (?)..  I may be incorrect with that though...  I would just be concerned with NYC in general Re: guns.  (just cuz its NYC and they are crazy)