Babyface Finster

Re-evaluate your first aid/medical supplies

I recently had minor surgery done and have been tending to my wound.  I am surprised by how quickly I am going through certain supplies.  Gauze sponges and tape in particular.

Since my incision was closed properly, by a doctor in sterile conditions and blood vessels were cauterized, the bleeding has been minimal.  Still, I am cleaning and changing the dressing numerous times a day to reduce chances of infection.  I can imagine how much more frequently I would have to do this if the wound was from an accident around the house and I had to deal with real bleeding and trying to keep it closed. 

I had two boxes of gauze pads and I am almost out.  2 rolls of tape are gone and I am on my third.  I am only 6 days into this and have at least another week to go before I am comfortable going without dressing.  In the case of a Katrina-like disaster when injuries are likely to be more serious and medical attention may be unavailable, I'm not so sure how I would fare.  An infection under those circumstances is not only more likely, it is many times more life threatening.

So, I thought I had over-bought these supplies and now it seems I need to rethink my plan.  I wonder how many people have nothing or just a basic pre-packaged kit they got at Target.  If this is you, think again.  I'm planning to triple what I thought was an ample supply. Turns out it is the bare minimum.  If I had more than one injury or someone else in the family was also injured, we would be in dire straits if we couldn't run out to Walgreens at the drop of a hat.  These supplies could also make for excellent barter items if things got that bad.  It's much easier to improvise food and water than it is sterile medical supplies or clotting agents. 

I started all of my kits with pre-packaged basics and supplemented from there. Mainly, I added drugs (pain killers, anti-inflamitants, etc.) as well as more bandages, tape and tools. (The scissors and knives in the kits needed to be upgraded.) I've got some stock at home and try not to break into my kits for minor things like Band Aids, pills, etc. For (big) bandages, I've got a stock of clean cloth (not garage towels!) that can be cut and used. Any long-term stuff like infections and I'm going into naturally provided plants, etc. with the help of reference materials.

you might want to consider a couple different things as well. We don't use it in the military as much any more but if you are bleeding pretty bad quick clot might be a good choice, stock up on compression bandages and israeli bandages as well. get training on how to properly use a tourniquet.  stock up on anti inflammatories basic pain killers antiseptics, stool softeners (eating MREs for days on end can do that)

First aid kit is for "FIRST" aid, not continued aid.

That said, I understand your point.

This.

As I understand it, my ifak is to keep my heart beating until I can get to a care center.

Always good to re evaluate your equipment though.

Already ahead of you. I opted for bulk wrap , tape, and gauze pads as part of my plan. I also included conformal splits, triangle bandages, first aid ointment packets, sutchers, staples/stapler, field surgery kit, quickclot, and other stuff as part of my kit. Most of it stays at home, some of it is parted out to supply my get-home bags I keep in our cars. Amazon and ebay sells lots of this stuff in bulk, a lot is sold under the "Dynarex" name.

The idea is to not kit out for years of zero medical services, but just a few weeks to a month or so while services and emergency help make it to the area and get spun back up after a disaster.

edit: also included in my kit is a first aid manual. I know I could benefit from training as well, it is on the list of things to do.

Agreed you need to know what your doing, they all have their place. a couple in the bag with an education.

In the short term following a disaster, supplies may be temporarily exhausted.  It could well be easier to find someone with the necessary skills than the necessary supplies.  It's great to know how to use these things, but lack of expertise won't sway me from having the supplies I think I may need.  If I'm lucky enough not to need them, I'm sure a hospital or field triage center could make good use of them.

First aid kit is for "FIRST" aid, not continued aid.

That said, I understand your point.

This.

As I understand it, my ifak is to keep my heart beating until I can get to a care center.

Always good to re evaluate your equipment though.

The kind of disaster I am hoping to be prepared for could include care being unavailable or in very limited supply. 

I've waited for hours at the ER with an open wound on an average Tuesday night.  It is quite conceivable to be on your own for days or longer depending on the severity of the disaster.  This is one area I don't believe you can be over-prepared for.  Even if you don't need the bulk of what you have, others may. 

One thing that I highly recommend for a serious kit is small single use cyanocrylate glue tubes like these. They are cheap and highly effective for closing shallow lacerations or to seal deeper wounds that have been sutured. It will sting a bit when you first put it on but should buy you up to a week.

That said, if you are going to keep sutures in your kit, it's pretty easy to learn how to use them. If anyone is really interested I can teach you how to suture simple wounds in an hour or two. I'm not a doctor, but I have done ~10K sutures in the past few years.

One thing that I highly recommend for a serious kit is small single use cyanocrylate glue tubes like these. They are cheap and highly effective for closing shallow lacerations or to seal deeper wounds that have been sutured. It will sting a bit when you first put it on but should buy you up to a week.

That said, if you are going to keep sutures in your kit, it's pretty easy to learn how to use them. If anyone is really interested I can teach you how to suture simple wounds in an hour or two. I'm not a doctor, but I have done ~10K sutures in the past few years.

Heck im in/ Pre LEO I was and still am an RN  with ER Specialty. we can trade some skills. Watched a thousand sutures never did any myself. We can set it up, its your party you decide if anyone else is welcome.

I learned this 9 years ago when I was stabbed in newark. After coming home from the hospital I went through tape, gauze and ointment very quickly. I keep a decent stock at home, but I'll admit I skimped on the first aid kit in my bag. I'll have to go through it and add certain things like bandages and tape.