illy

Shooting at Fort Hood (breaking)

So the good thing about this shooting (as if there is a good thing about any shooting) is that most of the calls seem to be for arming military personnel on base. Few of the calls seem to be for more gun control... I guess people realize that it would be stupid to say that the military shouldn't have any guns on base, or that their rounds should be limited, or that "assault weapons" should be banned.

I am all for arming the troops on base, but I can start with a reasonable compromise.

Allow officers to carry their sidearm on base. They already do it during deployment on bases on foreign soil. Later on, it can be expanded. But officers are a logical place to start. They have positions of authority and they are usually over 21, since most of them have college degrees. 

So the good thing about this shooting (as if there is a good thing about any shooting) is that most of the calls seem to be for arming military personnel on base. Few of the calls seem to be for more gun control... I guess people realize that it would be stupid to say that the military shouldn't have any guns on base, or that their rounds should be limited, or that "assault weapons" should be banned.

I am all for arming the troops on base, but I can start with a reasonable compromise.

Allow officers to carry their sidearm on base. They already do it during deployment on bases on foreign soil. Later on, it can be expanded. But officers are a logical place to start. They have positions of authority and they are usually over 21, since most of them have college degrees.

I agree with letting officers carry a sidearm at all times but would also extend this to Senior NCOs as well. There would be some logistic problems with this as not all Officers and few Senior NCOs have pistols issued. Whatever problems there would be would be much less than having another shooting with several dead bodies at an installation.

Let's not forget kids get pushed on drugs before they leave school.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the whole, "THEY'RE ON SOME SORT OF MEDICATION, BAN THEIR RIGHTS FOREVER!" mentality. When I was young, my school forced me onto adderal. Should I have my rights stripped just because my school threatened to expel me if i wasn't medicated?

Not only arming people but what about allowing people their firearms on base?  When I lived on base, if you had a firearm it had to be registered and kept in the armory.   INSANITY