Sign in to follow this  
kc17

Researching my Grandfather's military carrer

I'm hoping others have already gone through this and can provide some tips, suggestions, websites, and what not. I'm trying to get information on my Grandfather's time in the Army. Unfortunately I have been unable to locate any documents within the family.

Here is what I do know. He served in the Army during WWII and Korea, retiring with a rank of M Sgt. On his tombstone it has his name, home state, rank, and "HQ BTRY, 526 AAA GM, BN CAC"; then WWII, Korea, and his DOB, DOD. I've been told a photo we have of him was taken while he was in Korea. I do not know any other specifics or where he was during WWII.

I believe I've deciphered some of the information from his tombstone: Headquarters Battery, 526th Anti Aircraft Artillery, Battilion Coastal Artillery Corps. I have not been able to determine what "GM" means.

I'm also at a bit of a loss where to go from here. Are there historians within the Army that the general public has access to which could help with this sort of thing, or is it a matter of finding private historical enthusiasts who would be able to assist? Again, I figure people here may have already gone through what I'm attempting and have suggestions.

Edited to add:

The other tie in to this site is that I'd like to determine what sidearm he would have been issued. I've been told that with his rank he likely would have had one.

TIA

Kevin