I've read a few threads discussing fireplaces and wood stoves, pros/cons, etc. I'm pretty much set on getting a wood stove regardless of the fact that it's on the EPA hit list. I haven't settled on a brand but that is mostly because I have a bunch of design questions which I think will dictate what stove I choose.

I need to find a dealer/installer who can come out, look at my space, and work with me to design a system that meets all my needs. Can anyone recommend a reputable business or individual that services Somerset County? 

Thank you!

Do it yourself, no permit, no BS. Burn happy on any cold night (or day) with free wood, just takes a little effort. I have been doing it for 10 years.

And the minute your house burns down your homeowner's insurance has an easy out not to pay your claim.

I've read a few threads discussing fireplaces and wood stoves, pros/cons, etc. I'm pretty much set on getting a wood stove regardless of the fact that it's on the EPA hit list. I haven't settled on a brand but that is mostly because I have a bunch of design questions which I think will dictate what stove I choose.

I need to find a dealer/installer who can come out, look at my space, and work with me to design a system that meets all my needs. Can anyone recommend a reputable business or individual that services Somerset County? 

Thank you!

I can't recommend the one I deal with because they are too far for you.

I can offer a few tips though.

Whatever size of stove they recommend, get the next model up. We got an Avalon Olympic and we love it. With a nice fire of seasoned oak we do not have to use the gas boiler and it doesn't kick on. 

Get a blower for the stove. Convection pushes more heat into the room and house. 

Ceiling fans are your friend. Run them backwards and slower in winter.

Burn seasoned wood and have the stove cleaned professionally every year. Cheap insurance against a fire and if you ever have to contact your real insurance they might ask. 

Thank you!

Probably the biggest dealer in Somerset is Albers.They just moved from Rt 22 E.  in Bridgewater to Rt 22 E. in Green Brook. They generally have a large selection.

Silly question but... how are you getting firewood? 

I know a lot of people cut, haul, split, and season wood themselves but I'm not sure I would want to. If I were to buy a stove now I would strongly consider a pellet stove, only because getting enough wood for the season takes a lot of time and effort. I'm no stranger to hard work, but I watch my friends family split wood endlessly all year and it is something I don't want to do. They have a backhoe to load, a trailer to haul, and a quality splitter and they are still working seemingly every weekend. 

I have a cord of wood stacked now that I loaded into an F150 and F250 by hand and split with a sledge and wedge for my fireplace. Even though it isn't my main source of heating, I really need a splitter. 

Silly question but... how are you getting firewood? 

I know a lot of people cut, haul, split, and season wood themselves but I'm not sure I would want to. If I were to buy a stove now I would strongly consider a pellet stove, only because getting enough wood for the season takes a lot of time and effort. I'm no stranger to hard work, but I watch my friends family split wood endlessly all year and it is something I don't want to do. They have a backhoe to load, a trailer to haul, and a quality splitter and they are still working seemingly every weekend. 

I have a cord of wood stacked now that I loaded into an F150 and F250 by hand and split with a sledge and wedge for my fireplace. Even though it isn't my main source of heating, I really need a splitter. 

Depends, after a big storm probably buy because it's all over the place and cheap. Otherwise cut and scavenge. I have access to a splitter and would probably end up buying one myself at some point. I'm not doing this as a cheaper option to heat my home per se. I'm doing it for an alternative source of heat as well as an ambiance piece. More for the former though so I probably won't be ripping through wood like it's going out of style.  

Pellets are certainly easier and cleaner, that said, make sure you have your entire winter supply laid in before the winter.   In cold winters, pellet supply will be gone before the end of January.

My mother has had a Pellet stove for at least 20 years now.   In that time she's had to replace the fans once, the auger motor twice, the auger assembly and bearings once and the speed control once.

I've had a Fireplace insert in my house for 20+ years and we run it from October to May just about 100% of the time.   In that time I've replaced the speed control and two fans.   I used to burn 6-7 coords of firewood a year and since adding a propane boiler in 2012, I burned 3 coords in the 12/13 winter and 4.5 this last winter.    

Comparing the two, my fireplace insert puts out a lot more heat, but it's a lot more work.   I typically cut and split 2-3 coords of my own and buy the rest.   It's also dirty.  

It's sure nice though to sit around in shorts and a tshirt when the fire is blazing hot.

Oh and one final thought.   Whoever ends up doing your stainless steel liner, make SURE they use good insulation.    I recommend Perlite as an insulator instead of fiberglass.   As part of our renovation, we had to extend our Chimney by 6 feet, this included 6 feet of Clay flue liner as well as 6 feet of Stainless extension to the stainless liner.   Previously it was insulated with fiberglass.    I bought the perlite and mason poured it around the stainless in the clay flue pipe.   The result was that our chimney stopped getting clogged up in January.  Every single year we used to have to get it cleaned in January because it was not drafting properly due to creosote buildup.     Since adding the perlite and removing the fiberglass, it lasts the entire burn season.   The insulation keeps it hot until the gasses leave the pipe so that they don't accumulate at the top.    Do not use vermiculite.  Vermiculite holds water like a sponge and will not release it.  It turns into mush.

Pellets are certainly easier and cleaner, that said, make sure you have your entire winter supply laid in before the winter.   In cold winters, pellet supply will be gone before the end of January.

A friend of mine in NY has one. However, he also is able to burn dried corn kernels in it. Depending on the price, he switches fuels. Sometimes pellets are cheaper, sometimes corn is cheaper.