Sign in to follow this  
CAPTBIL3

NEW BUILD AR HEAD SPACING?

I will have all my parts for my first build by the end of the week. Ive been looking online and the forums and it seems pretty split on checking the Head spacing on a new parts build AR.

Im working with a

PSA Upper

PSA BCG

Anderson 16″ M4 contour barrel, chambered 5.56/.223, 1-8 twist, threaded 1/2-28

All parts Brand New

Thank you in advance

Bill

I am kind of new at building ARs my self. Like you, I found varying opinions on head spacing. I decided to buy the tools and be sure. From what I understand, if the head spacing is not correct, it could be a bad day. I do understand that if you purchase good quality parts (which I did), there should be no issues. But, I decided to error on the side of safety, and have checked every gun I have built (2 in 5.56 and one in 7.62 x 51). All were within spec by the way. For me, the piece of mind was worthwhile. Yes the tools cost a bit, but I had no fear as I pulled the trigger the first time at the range.

Just my feeling, and I am not an expert!

If you're buying a complete upper with the barrel, extension, receiver already installed then the chances of you having headspace issues are almost nil. I would say headspace checks are a MUST when you are piecing the upper assembly together using different components from different manufacturers.