Sign in to follow this  
Lecky

gun safes

Is it safe to say, being that I already own a F&S safe, if I was going to upgrade to a better quality safe, the cannon wouldn't be worth it? If they are close in comparison it wouldn't make sense to replace a F&S with the cannon, is this true. I only have around $700 to spend on a safe I would hate to spend it on the cannon if it's the same quality.

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the cannon gun safes from tractor supply are much better quality then the field and stream safes from dicks? Thank you.

What size are you looking at. A few years back I was going to get the Cannon till I saw the 24 gun Winchester that Tractor Supply sells. It's on sale for $549 Black Friday. I liked the interior better and that it has external hinges so the door opens wider. Other then it's full I'm been very happy with the Winchester.

What size are you looking at. A few years back I was going to get the Cannon till I saw the 24 gun Winchester that Tractor Supply sells. It's on sale for $549 Black Friday. I liked the interior better and that it has external hinges so the door opens wider. Other then it's full I'm been very happy with the Winchester.

The Winchester was on sale on Wednesday which has passed. The Cannon is on sale today.

The Winchester was on sale on Wednesday which has passed. The Cannon is on sale today.

It's still showing on sale on their web site as I type this. I know for the past few years it has always been that price on Black Friday. If the sale did end and if you show them the web site they should honor that price. I don't see anything online as to when the sale ends.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/winchesterreg%3B-gun-safe-24-gun-capacity

I just got a raincheck for the Cannon WideBody.  They had one left (display model) and I didnt want the one every played with. They offered me a new one once the next shipment comes.  I was advised they will honor price from todays deal.  Best yet, I didnt even  have to pay until I pick up.

I was also advised TSC will issue rainchecks on all advertised models if NOT in stock!   Feel free to get the Winchester safe until Sunday without worries! 

I picked up the cannon today and agree the interior nothing special.  Shelves have exposed wood and not as tight/secure as I would have hoped.  But then again I only paid $700 for a pretty big safe. I'm very happy with it. My 10 rifles and 3 handguns have plenty of room.  I was at Dicks today and looked at the F&S safes and looked to me like the cannon was a little nicer.  Either way in this price range you can't go wrong so long as you keep your expectations inline with what you pay.  

why?

In case of fire.   Even if it's a fire safe.   Storing powder in a locked safe is a bad idea--powder magazines are constructed the way they are for a reason.

I'm less nervous about loaded ammo than components, but would still never store more than an inconsequential amount in a locked safe.

why?

What do you get when you ignite powder without any pressure?  Only a fire not an explosion.  Picture an unchambered round in a fire.  It will cook off , but very little energy in the projectile.

Now add a mechanism to contain the burn and build pressure,  you now have a explosive.  Picture chambered round in a fire.  Its going off full energy.  

Same with a safe. It will cause a pressure build up and BOOM.  A wooden walled box, will slow a fire, and the walls will give before pressures get to large to cause an explosion. 

DO NOT STORE POWDER IN A SAFE!!!!!!!